Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

If we get it, we get it.

>

anabel12

If we get it, we get it.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:26 PM

I just had a conversation with someone in another state. She and her friend group and neighbors are getting together, and their attitude is "If we get it we get it." They are tired of social distancing and staying home. She said they wear masks if they go to the store, but that's it. Am I missing something? I thought every state still had social distancing and people were encouraged to wear masks. This isn't a state that's had no cases, either. They've had a lot! I'm still not going to the grocery store!

anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-25-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
She and her friend group and neighbors are getting together, and their attitude is "If we get it we get it."
I hate hate hate hate this attitude. The masks are not about you! They are about the people around you!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 05-25-2020, 02:33 PM

I am not sure if all 50 states are on SD w/masks. I live in PA and I know we are to continue. So sad these attitudes are out there.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Reports came out
Old 05-25-2020, 02:37 PM

that seemed to indicate the young children, and people who were not health compromised or elderly just got the virus with no symptoms or they got sick and were better a week or so later.

This led some people, who didn't keep updated, to think that they wouldn't get it, but if they did they would just be sick and not have to worry about it again. Back to normal.

This leads them to think it is okay to be out and about as long as they wear a mask to the stores.

They may be right about themselves. They may have very few deaths from the virus, but they may infect their grandparents or health compromised friends.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 05-25-2020, 02:43 PM

Not every state requires masks, mine doesn't. It's encouraged and some individual stores (like Costco) require them but it's not a mandate. But the attitude of "if I get it, I get it" says so much about the self-centered, all about me mindset so many people have these days. I've paid attention to the restaurants/stores in my little town and will support those who are taking serious measures to mitigate the dangers. Sadly there are those who will do the opposite and support the businesses that have thumbed their nose at the safety guidelines.

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-25-2020, 02:43 PM

A disturbing practice of only caring about themselves. At least wear a mask .
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 05-25-2020, 02:47 PM

Attitudes like that is why me and my family are not going out. We are not casual shopping, we get necessities only from the grocery, basically because we dont spend the time to browse. We are not eating, or even ordering out, from restaurants. We are not traveling anywhere for any reason, which means we are not buying gasoline. Since we are not buying gas we are not purchasing a bottle of pop, cup of coffee, or other treat we usually get when we stop at the convenience store. We will not be getting hair cuts, I have cut the boy's hair myself and I'm letting mine grow.

The rudeness and behaviors of people with this attitude is what is going to continue to keep our economy weak because 1) people who do not feel comfortable in public will not go or shop and 2) health care is going to be overwhelmed resulting in more lost wages and possible closings.

All because a few people feel their personal freedoms are more important than wearing a mask.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Thoughts
Old 05-25-2020, 02:57 PM

You hear about people with little to no symptoms and you hear of the ventilators and being alone to die. How do you know which one you will be? DH and I are in our 60s. WV is starting to open up, but we're staying in. DS2 stays in to protect the old parents he's quarantined with.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 05-25-2020, 03:18 PM

The worst part is that my friend is 73! Her friends are somewhat younger, but not 20-somethings! I just don't understand her attitude.
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 05-25-2020, 03:32 PM

It reminds me of those spring break kids who went to South Padre Island and said they didnít care until they were shamed in the media. They all had a ďIím gonna partyĒ line. There have been 39,000 cases in my county. I know many people who have lost a loved one. A family friend lost his brother in law and mother in law in the same week. You canít even have a funeral right away and when you do, only 10 people can be present. Two families that I know that lost a family member plan in having a celebration of life someday in the future. They are alone in their grief.

The cover of the N.Y. Times yesterday was a stark reminder of what we are up against and yet last week an open-the-economy rally here was featured on the national news because of the way protesters tried to intimidate the reporter by getting in his face without a mask on. They thought it was funny to get in his face and yell fake news without a mask. I donít know what is wrong with some people.

anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-25-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
The worst part is that my friend is 73! Her friends are somewhat younger, but not 20-somethings! I just don't understand her attitude.

I can somewhat understand the attitude of being "well, if I die, I die." I've never been a daredevil, but in general, I don't like to let fear of illness or death make decisions for me and some in my life think I have a less developed sense of self-preservation than I ought to.

That's why it's so important to understand that physical distancing and masks are NOT ABOUT ME!

An acquaintance's relative just died of a stroke after being admitted to the hospital with covid symptoms. She was out and about asymptomatically without a mask or social distancing. So now her behavior has not only affected her and her "if I get it, I get it" attitude but all the people she came in contact with.

If anything, this whole time in lockdown has made me rethink my previous more cavalier attitude toward working while not feeling well rather than double down on the selfishness as others seem to have done.

CatLove

Old 05-25-2020, 03:39 PM

So frustrating, but some people are just ignorant. We think it's frustrating for us, but it must be soooo frustrating for politicians like Cuomo and others.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 05-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Plain idiocracy!!!! I hate people with this attitude too. This isn't just the common cold here.

Wah, wah, no one can seem to stay home a few little mos without scraping the walls (because this hasn't even been 3 full mos of staying-at-home), weak babies! People just have to be out, I guess.

Yeah, we used to get takeout a LOT too, but stopped cold turkey since March 26th and still NOT going to soon.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 05-25-2020, 04:19 PM

Iíve been out but Iíve certainly been taking precautions. I have to admit it is very hard to stay 6 feet away from people at all times.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 PM

These people don't understand how ill they may get. I was reading this twitter thread today, by a woman writing about her sister. She says her sister now tests negative for the virus, but still isn't better. Even if you're lucky enough not to die, are you willing to take the chance that you might be sick for months?

"Covid-19 isn't just "you get better" or "you die". My sister is in week 8. Four weeks of high fever, extreme body aches and crushing fatigue. Week 5 the fevers went away but she developed shortness of breath. Week 6 CT scan showed multiple pulmonary blood clots.

In week 8 her oxygen saturation drops to abnormal levels if she climbs a flight of stairs. Any exertion, a short walk or drive, still results in her needing hours of recovery - being still. She is my best friend and at least three times I thought I was going to lose her.

She was also never sick enough to be hospitalized."
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 05-25-2020, 04:44 PM

This is like when the whole class loses recess because some of the kids wouldn't follow the rules.

I am so irritated by the attitude of people that don't think the recommendations apply to them.

I have let my teenager go nowhere. My Facebook feed is full of "mini" proms with 18 kids. Our neighborhood is full of kids from many households playing together like nothing is going on in the world.

My family is going to miss out on "recess" (a return to more normal life) for even longer because of the impatience of others.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

My thoughts
Old 05-25-2020, 04:45 PM

I have so many feelings about all of this. I can see both sides. When you hear that this is going to be around for the foreseeable future and that 60-70% of people will get it, I can see how some might have a whatever happens happens attitude. It begins to feel that it's out of your control.
The vigilance and fear is not sustainable for me mentally. I have gone back to work at a local farm because staying home with constant anxiety was not good for me. We are masked and gloved and my mental health has improved since I started to work. I stay away from stores but have had take out. I don't get together with friends or see my elderly parents, but is that sustainable for 6 more months, until there's a vaccine? Well, this was sort of rambling and I'm not sure if I can even communicate all the different emotions and feelings
I have. We can only control what we do.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

CatLove
Old 05-25-2020, 05:20 PM

I totally agree.
I think I would add how frustrating it is for frontline workers especially those in healthcare who will have to work long hours if the "if we get it, we get it" crowd needs to be hospitalized.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 05-25-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yikes! Well, I guess she figures since she's lived most of her life already, she's going to be selfish and "go out with a bang" and not stay cooped up during the last years of her life.

The elderly people who don't care about this are just giving up!

I read my SO this thread and he said, she sounds like one of those crotchety old ladies with no zest for life! At her age, she can still have another 10-15 years of living.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-25-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I can see both sides. When you hear that this is going to be around for the foreseeable future and that 60-70% of people will get it, I can see how some might have a whatever happens happens attitude. It begins to feel that it's out of your control.
This is not an all or nothing situation. How in the world can anyone take a "whatever happens happens because it's out of my control" attitude when there are so many things that are 100% in your control?

I do not buy that millions of people's mental health is so fragile that they simply must get out in the world and recreate immediately. I think it's selfishness masquerading as mental fragility.

Anti-masking has become a political statement at the expense of the health of "the vulnerable." And why is it perfectly okay to sacrifice "the vulnerable" for your convenience and comfort?

Socializing is still perfectly possible via social distancing.

Does it suck not to get to hug your grandchildren or siblings or parents or children or friends? Sure.

Would it be more easier and possibly more fun to go to the pool or the beach and pay no attention to surroundings? Probably.

Would it be nice to get a haircut or go out to dinner or browse retail stores without wearing a mask? Of course.

But it has been a maximum of ELEVEN WEEKS even for those who locked down early. ELEVEN WEEKS. You're willing to sacrifice thousands of people just so you can get what you want? How selfish do you have to be?

Also, it's not that 60-70% will for sure get it. It's that 70% is the number most talked about as what will be required for "herd immunity" to naturally "flatten the curve." At that rate, hundreds of thousands of people will die even at the supposedly "extremely low" death rate that the lockdown protesters are throwing around.

If we socially distance, limit travel as much as possible, wear masks, and generally act like decent human beings, we have some control.

We also need to hold our government officials responsible for failing to put into place the necessary testing and tracking that could have prevented much of this in the first place and still needs to happen to avoid yet more spike/lockdown cycles.

anna

Old 05-25-2020, 06:01 PM

There is control if the country tested extensively , contact traced from the positive patients and isolated everyone in contact with the positively diagnosed person.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 05-25-2020, 06:26 PM

Covid-19 is not a I'll get it and die or fully recover thing, necessarily. A person I know (probably in their early 40s) got it, a "mild" case which still felt like an elephant sitting on their chest. They "recovered" after a couple of weeks. Then they started getting terrible headaches. After some investigations, their doctors found that the optic nerve in one eye was 3 times its normal size (causing the headaches). The doctors were worried it would kill the optic nerve, and leave them blind in the eye. Swelling in the optic nerves happens sometimes with viruses, although the swelling is usually temporary and doesn't kill the nerve. It did, and they are now permanently blind in the left eye. A couple of weeks later, they still have headaches, and are extremely light sensitive. The latest is that they just had to have treatment for 13 blood clots. It is just going on and on for them.

This is nothing to fool around with for your own sake, and especially for others.
suzyteach is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

This conversation
Old 05-25-2020, 06:45 PM

disturbs and scares me.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
bGracie
Old 05-25-2020, 09:15 PM
This message has been deleted by bGracie.

Tori58

Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Anti-masking has become a political statement at the expense of the health of "the vulnerable."
Yes, since the coronavirus response has become so politicized in this state, flouting social distancing in any way possible has become a political statement. I doesn't take will-power for me to stay at home. I wouldn't want to be around these people even if I knew I couldn't get COVID-19.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-26-2020, 06:22 AM

I read a few really dumb statements last night in response to an article about COVID-19 still spreading. Several people said “I don’t know anyone who has it so it isn’t a problem. This is fake news.”

I was thinking that yes there is a lot of fake news out there, but it is not a problem because I don’t know anyone who has it when reported statistics show that 1.7 million Americans have either had it or currently have it? How stupid can people be?

Several had horrible grammar and sentence structure too. “I don.t know anyone who got that just the flew.”
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

happyteachin

My state is 100% open
Old 05-26-2020, 08:50 AM

Everyone is out and about. My circle of friends is concerned about the tourists and seasonal workers so weíre still cautious.

That same attitude your friend has, has been prevalent here since the beginning. The numbers have been so low that itís difficult for people to take it seriously.
happyteachin is online now   Reply With Quote