Help

BusyBoard

Retiring Teachers

>

jml122

Retiring Teachers
Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have two teachers retiring at the end of this school year. One has been with our district for 40 years and was vp for 15 years, the other for 20. Because of the SIP, we are limited in what we can do.

Usually, when a teacher retires from our school, we do the following:
1. Notes, cards, and such from each class
2. Speech about them at end of the year Mass (Catholic school)
3. End of the year luncheon where we "roast" them
4. Really nice gift

What are some things you have seen, done, or thought was neat to celebrate your colleagues retiring?
Thanks in advance!

jml122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Later
Old 05-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in a Catholic School, too.

We have baskets for families to put messages in. They can do this any time. Baskets are right by our main doors. We are making videos for each retiring staff member with well wishes, memories, etc. Those will be sent electronically to them.

We are also doing a virtual happy hour and then the goal is plan something in person for when there are fewer/no restrictions.

Money from Sunshine plus a collection is used for gifts. I think the goal is to spend about 50-100 on each retiree. I'm not sure how they would get the gift. I think someone from the sunshine committee will drop it off at the teachers' houses.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

jbsmile

retiring teachers
Old 05-27-2020, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had a car parade by their home and put signs in their yard. We also put a video together with quick clips from each teacher.
jbsmile is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Google Slides Cards
Old 05-28-2020, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school has really gotten into Google Slides cards. Each person can write a note and "sign."

There are some cute free templates out there.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Organize an album of
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the teacher photos from class pictures through the years. It might be interesting to assemble handwritten statements from students telling "what teachers do." Select the best (kindest) from various grades and add them to the album. The students could also send these in the form of emails as well as those who have the equipment scanning their contributions. It would be great to include former students of the retiring teachers with their special memories.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 06-01-2020, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good ideas. Singvogal, I had not heard that idea before, and think that is a great idea. A couple videos could be embedded into each slide from students who want to say something nice. And then pictures from over the years of the teacher working with kids, or other teachers or parents. Lots of photos out there, you might ask parents to send those snapshots to you digitally.

Then the retired teacher can look back over this slideshow from time to time, although a physical photobook that you make would be great too.

Since a couple of you mentioned working at a Catholic school...in normal school years, do all the teachers walk in together at the graduation? When I worked at a Catholic school, we did and it was meaningful because graduates had their k-12 teachers all there. (And many teachers that moved or went elsewhere came back for the graduation.) Many parents would then take a picture of their graduate with the whole group of teachers. It is a very nice memento.
aggie'swife is online now   Reply With Quote