Police officers take a knee with protesters in Des Moines - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Police officers take a knee with protesters in Des Moines

>

tctrojan

Police officers take a knee with protesters in Des Moines
Old 05-31-2020, 07:48 PM

This is powerful.

DES MOINES, Iowa — Law enforcement and protesters in Des Moines joined together to take a knee in solidarity for the death of George Floyd.

The powerful moment happened outside the Des Moines Police Department downtown around 9 p.m.

A few hundred protesters had gathered outside the police department and asked police to take a knee with them. Protesters left the area shortly after officers took a knee.

A curfew went into effect in Des Moines and Polk County at 9 p.m.

tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 05-31-2020, 08:32 PM

I love this! Respect on both sides.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 05-31-2020, 09:25 PM

If only ALL locations could do this as a statement closure and then end it forever...

PLUS, I want to actually see CHANGE in our society regarding this and those who did the wrongdoing to be FULLY punished.

Last edited by MAsped; 06-01-2020 at 11:42 AM..
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 05-31-2020, 10:46 PM

Amen. In our area we've seen lots of beautiful moments during the day and early in the evenings, then the peaceful demonstrators leave and the destruction starts. It's so sad for everyone involved.

I am frightened for everyone and sad for the message that is getting lost in the increasing violence. We don't need to lose more lives. We need a change - and that is being hindered by the aftermath of what mostly started out as people rightfully demonstrating against a wrong.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-01-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I am frightened for everyone and sad for the message that is getting lost in the increasing violence. We don't need to lose more lives. We need a change - and that is being hindered by the aftermath of what mostly started out as people rightfully demonstrating against a wrong.
This!!!!!

We had peaceful protests and it didn't get violent until later. And compared to other areas it was minor. The big issue has been a black man posted a list of black businesses to be left alone. Of course that causes others to be angry because white business owners are being targeted.

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-01-2020, 07:50 AM

I saw a photo of the police personnel down on one knee. Very constructive work towards peace .
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

In our town
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 AM

The protest ended and then white people started being Violent.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-01-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
If only ALL locations could do this as a statement closure and then end it forever...
I'm sorry, but officers taking a knee and creating a beautiful photo op will not feel like any kind of closure to the black community and won't end anything.

What might end this round of violence would be the arrest of the complicit officers and then we'd better hope that they are all speedily convicted.

But, that will only last until the next POC dies at the hands of law enforcement. Some things that might prevent that would be: 1) Changes in recruitment, training and promotion of police officers. 2) Changes in the laws that make it so difficult to prosecute officers for police brutality and murder. 3) Consistent mandatory bodycam laws for all police officers 4) A determined effort made by all police departments to root out and get rid of known white supremacists within the departments.

That's just a start and it doesn't even begin to address the broader issue of social and racial justice.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 06-01-2020, 11:25 AM

I saw that on the news today.

Then this: "white people started being violent." Ummmm....from what I'm seeing, it's people of all color being violent. Some of these "protesters" are PAID to come in and riot.

Then this: "mandatory bodycams for all police officers." Most departments across the US do wear body cams." The body cams are to protect the person they are arresting AND the officer in case something comes up. (PLZ don't think I'm defending that officer in the GF case. I'm just saying that the bodycams are good both ways).

Finally: "Changes in the laws to prosecute officers for police brutality and murder: The charges are handed down by the DA. The jury decides the case. So it's not so much the laws that need to change but picking a better jury. And presenting your case to prove your point.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM

I do agree Tori58. I also wanted to add that I want to actually see CHANGE in our society regarding this and those who did the wrongdoing to be FULLY punished.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-01-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Most departments across the US do wear body cams.
Yes, but there are are differences in what the rules are about turning off the cams and differences in how strictly the existing rules are enforced. And of course they protect the officer as well. The reason that cops have traditionally been given so much leeway is that nobody wants cops second-guessing themselves to the point that they can't do their jobs.

Quote:
So it's not so much the laws that need to change but picking a better jury.
Well yes, in the end, the jury makes the biggest difference but laws, and also department policies, surrounding what is acceptable lethal force for a police officer have been growing ever more lenient in some states. Minnesota is actually better than many states in this respect. They started tightening up some policies and changing some training procedures after a black cop killed a white woman.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-01-2020, 02:54 PM

Supreme Court Case regarding chokeholds and the Police Departments' ability to use it:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/30/212746...ns-los-angeles
anna is offline   Reply With Quote