Help

Teachers' Lounge

Went to my favorite local diner this morning

>

Zephie

Went to my favorite local diner this morning
Old 06-01-2020, 04:49 AM

just left actually.

I was shocked when I pulled up because the LED light said the dining room is open. They still have a few tables put on the sidewalks and parking spots designated for curbside pick up. I decided to go in and found they completely transformed parts of the diner. They walled off the grill area that has always been open to watch at the counter. They hung Plexiglas partitions between the booths and removed most of the free standing tables. Restaurants are free to work at 25% capacity right now but should be moving to 50% capacity in a week. The place is definitely set up for 50% capacity at this time, but most of the free standing tables have no chairs at them.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the description. We’re behind you and I need to be extra-careful, so I appreciate the warning of things to come.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 AM

I snapped a picture and sent it to a friend who now lives in OK. It used to be one of our favorite places to hang out. This is just part of the side dining room I prefer to sit in. (Its a seat yourself kind of place.)
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

MAsped

Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 AM

I see, interesting. I went to my local outl mall a few days ago and in the food court, they had taken and really SPACED OUT the dining tables.

I read from someone that Barnes & Noble was arranged all differently too. They said, "The floor set up was completely changed around. There was a semblance of a main aisle but flanking the aisle just about ALL of the bookcases were rearranged to resemble a square with one way in/out. You walked into the square and the bookcases were on three sides of you. This was repeated throughout the store with varying sizes of the square."
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

breakfast
Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 AM

Interesting So what did you have to eat?

mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Mhugs
Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 AM

always the same: bacon omelette with pepper jack, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeños. A side of home made biscuits and real butter. A mug of fresh coffee with cream and splenda.

tia

Old 06-01-2020, 07:48 AM

we went in to Blaze Pizza last night (wearing masks) to order pizzas for take out. they had every other table taped off--but some of the available tables were right next to the line where you stand to order.

it was pretty empty....but it was Sunday....but it was almost 7....

3 groups picked up pizzas while we were there and 3 tables were eating. (two groups had kids) and there were 2 groups behind us.

DH said several times "i can't believe no one is wearing masks"---and i told him several times "well, you can't wear them while eating..." but he pointed out that he didn't see any on the tables and the other people ordering/waiting weren't wearing them. i guess most people that are comfortable going into a place to begin with don't feel the need?

we don't plan on eating in for quite some time, even though we're not a hard hit state.....
tia is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 06-01-2020, 09:49 AM

Our local Maine television station interviewed a restaurant owner who has set up ready for indoor dining. He is operating at 50% capacity, removed many tables, and has a requirement that customers must wear masks when they are not at their tables. All servers are wearing masks. Hope it works out for him. He said that he is hoping to just break even this summer after paying bills and staff, but that he felt it was important to get his people back to work and to not lose his identity as a good restaurant for any tourists that do decide to come up here.

Right now, our area of Maine seems to be promoting hotels and privately owned campgrounds and small cabins (which normally are filled with tourists) to Maine residents. They've even set up a "pay what you can" program where a Maine resident can fill out a form, state what they can pay for a few nights in a hotel or a campground, and are contacted back if the owner feels it's acceptable. Interesting concept.

And by the way, breakfast sounded delicious!
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 06-01-2020, 12:09 PM

I went into a local restaurant for the first time today because my DH went back to work today and he wanted to meet for lunch. I chose this place because they have an outdoor patio. Your description sounds much better than the way they had handled the 50% capacity inside. They had fabric hanging to completely close off half of the restaurant and had installed a plexi-glass shield in front of the cash register, but I felt like the rest of the tables were still crammed into the remaining space. My DH said he thought they had removed a few tables, but it would have been better to leave the entire floor space open and spread the tables out more. My DH and I wore our masks while inside ordering and were the only ones to take advantage of the outside patio. None of the workers in the front were wearing masks, so I won't be going back for a while.
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote