Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís June! Whatís Everyone Reading?

>

trasie

Itís June! Whatís Everyone Reading?
Old 06-01-2020, 02:56 PM

Woohoo! It’s time to share what you’ve been reading for the past month!

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 06-01-2020, 03:00 PM

I am reading Bree Baker Seaside Cafe Mysteries. She was recommended by someone on here and I am really enjoying her cozy mysteries.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Old 06-01-2020, 03:01 PM

I have been working my way through the FBI Thriller Series by Catherine Coulter. Now that I have read a few- the plot is oh so predictable, but ... I enjoy them anyway. They are easy to put down and easy to pick up!
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 06-01-2020, 03:05 PM

I just finished Her Husbandís Secret by the author of Big Little Lies and Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow. I donít normally choose nonfiction, but Farrowís book was a page turner about Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer scandals.

Iím now starting Little Fires Everywhere.
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 06-01-2020, 03:06 PM

I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing and am trying to pick a new book.

I love reading, but starting a new book after one I liked is so hard for me!

love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-01-2020, 03:09 PM

I am working on the Sarah Roberts series by Jonas Saul. Trying to finish so I can cancel my Kindle unlimited... It was a free trial, but I had a few books to read and then remembered this series that I had started long ago.

I also read the Masked Prey by John Sandford and Nevada Barr's The Rope, Treason by Stuart Woods, and am also working on the Harlee Merlin series by Bella Forest. Busy times reading lately.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

books
Old 06-01-2020, 03:26 PM

I just finished The Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler and Someone Knows by Lisa Scottoline. Both were all right, mostly kept my interest, and I needed something I didn't have to get too invested in the past week or so.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

My list
Old 06-01-2020, 03:26 PM

The Holdout by Graham Moore. It is the story of a juror who changed the verdict. Was she wrong? The book then goes forward ten years. A societies is going to be filmed. It brings out all kinds of secrets of the jury. It reminds me of Twelve Angry Men. I really enjoyed the twists and turns.

Moral Compass by Danielle Steele. The book deals with underage drinking and rape at a exclusive private school. It is not like the books she usually writes. I thought the topics were compelling.

The Boy from the Woods by Harlan Coben. A man with a mysterious last must find a missing teenage girl. I did like this, but not as well as some of his other books.

Nipped in the Bud by Sheila Connolly. A cozy mystery which is part of a series that I have enjoyed.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 06-01-2020, 03:32 PM

I just read The Institue by Stephen King. It was really good!

In the middle of the night, in a house on a quiet street in suburban Minneapolis, intruders silently murder Luke Ellisís parents and load him into a black SUV. The operation takes less than two minutes. Luke will wake up at The Institute, in a room that looks just like his own, except thereís no window.

In this most sinister of institutions, the director, Mrs. Sigsby, and her staff are ruthlessly dedicated to extracting from these children the force of their extranormal gifts. There are no scruples here. If you go along, you get tokens for the vending machines. If you donít, punishment is brutal. As each new victim disappears to Back Half, Luke becomes more and more desperate to get out and get help. But no one has ever escaped from the Institute.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 06-01-2020, 03:33 PM

I have been reading, Educated by Tara Westover.

CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 06-01-2020, 03:41 PM

I started the month with On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong. I pushed through it even though it was not grabbing me. It was not my kind of read.

I read Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane. It was a family drama and just okay.

After reading Phaedra Patrick's The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper, I was looking forward to her new book, The secrets of Love Story Bridge. It was good, but it was not Arthur Pepper.

I really enjoyed Shanthi Sekaran's book, Lucky Boy. It took place in Berkeley, CA which was a plus. It was about a young woman who embarked on an incredible journey across the Mexico border. She ended up in an immigrant detention center and her child, who was conceived on her journey and born in Berkeley was turned over to services and was fostered by a professional Indian coupe who had difficulty conceiving. It is a true tale of the love that they shared for this young boy.

I just finished American Dirt. I ordered it in hard copy before it was released and I've been holding on to it until it was my book club choice. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, her writing and the emotions the story stirred. I loved Luca. (I'm still SMH over the 'hullabaloo' I raised here when I was looking for a reader's opinion and not all of the press that was surrounding the book when it was first released.) I appreciate the opinions of the readers here. I only know of one person who did not enjoy this book and she did not finish it.

I need to figure out my next read. I'll be looking here for some ideas.

Last edited by luvmycat; 06-01-2020 at 04:13 PM..
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-01-2020, 03:47 PM

I just finished:
*Redhead by the Side of the Road by Ann Tyler. I normally love her style and comforting stories and I loved the first 90% of this one, but I really hated the ending. I expect more of her.
*Cheaterís Game by Levine. Just plain fun. I love legal thrillers and this was a good one. Itís focused on college admission cheating. Man, did he ever eviscerate the parents.

I just started reading The Inn by Patterson. Good cop story so far.

Iím listening to Not a Sound by Gudenkauf. Pretty good story of deaf woman trying to solve a murder.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 06-01-2020, 03:50 PM

Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau. 2nd in the trilogy, I don't care if I read the third.
After Anna by Lisa Scottoline. only okay
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Loved it.
Need to Know by Karen Cleveland. I badly want to talk about the end of this with someone who's read it.
Summer of '69 by Elin Hinderbrand. meh

Louise Penny books:
A Trick of the Light
The Beautiful Mystery
How the Light Gets In

Elizabeth Berg Mason trilogy novels:
Night of Miracles. Lovely
The Confession Club. Not bad, but the weakest of the trilogy.

For my book club, I'm reading The Quintland Sisters by Shelley Wood. It's about the Dionne Quintuplets. Those girls and their family were exploited horribly and this book makes me feels a little queasy because I feel a bit like I'm exploiting them too just by reading it. Even though I'm mostly skimming it, I can only read it for a while before I have to put it down.

I'm also reading The Secret, Book & Scone Society by Ellery Adams. I think it was recommended here. So far so good.

Next up is Louise Penny's 10th book, The Long Way Home. I can hardly wait.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 06-01-2020, 03:51 PM

Almost done with the new Hunger Games novel, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. It's pretty good, and held my attention like the earlier books. It centers on President Snow, as a young man, during the tenth annual hunger games.

Good Girl, Bad Girl, by Michael Robotham: about a criminal psychologist who gets involved treating a teenage girl who was found ten years earlier at the scene of a murder. No one knows who she is or how she got there. Later, he investigates the murder of a different teenage girl, and the two girls become somewhat connected. *I went into this thinking it was a stand alone novel, and was disappointed when the plot didn't entirely resolve by the end of the book. The next one comes out later this year. It did resolve some plot points, but some things were left hanging.

Jennifer Nielsen's A Night Divided (young adult novel) about a young girl and her family, who get separated overnight by the building of the Berlin Wall. I didn't know a ton about this historic event, and it was eye-opening. I would definitely recommend this! Wish I could use it in a classroom.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Books
Old 06-01-2020, 03:52 PM

I'm reading All Adults Here by Emma Straub. It is a family drama about a 68 year woman and her grown up children. I recently finished American Dirt and really liked it.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

linderdm

Old 06-01-2020, 03:56 PM

Just finished Hello, Summer by Mary Kay Andrews..a little romance, a little mystery.

I have started Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner. I like the beginning. My friend who finished it, loved it.

I'm listening to The Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson. It was recommended by someone on the FB group, Rebecca's Book Club. It's good and keeps me going during my walks.
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I am reading Bree Baker Seaside Cafe Mysteries. She was recommended by someone on here and I am really enjoying her cozy mysteries.
That was me- I'm glad you're enjoying them!

I'm also reading a book recommended by someone on PT (and I can't remember who ): "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg.

At the same time, I'm reading "Dry" by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman (Neal writes a lot of dystopian YA stuff, and this one is getting to me because it feels a little similar with the current rioting). It's actually good. It's about severe drought in Southern CA that leads to no water being available at all.

I finished "Dear Edward" by Ann Napolitan recently and really enjoyed it. It's about a 12yo boy who is the sole survivor of a plane crash.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Fleurdelys

Old 06-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Finished Whisper Network by Chandler Baker. This book is part mystery part women’s fiction. Addresses sexual harassment and assault in the work force. I think it could generate some good discussion in a book club.

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid was an easy read, however it highlights racial issues. This book would make for great discussion for book club.

Currently reading The Book of V by Anna Solomon
Fleurdelys is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 06-01-2020, 04:19 PM

I just finished Polio, an American Story, by David Oshinsky. It’s about the race to develop a polio vaccine. It looks at the history and the ethical and moral questions of vaccine development in the middle of the 20th century. It’s was really thought provoking. I’m listening to West Cork right now. I just started it this afternoon while I was weeding my garden.

Last edited by anonymouse; 06-02-2020 at 08:04 AM..
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Glass Houses by Louise Penny - I liked it alot. This is my 2nd of her books. I may begin with her 1st and work my way up now.

Hi Five by Joe Ide - I listened to this one and really liked it. His books depict some rough characters who use language which suits their characterization; another poster asked about this previously, so just an FYI

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrick Backman - just picked this one up from the library today. It has been recommended here. Looking forward to it.

I'm looking for another book to listen to so I'll be paying attention to suggestions here today. Always love this thread.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

yrutching

Great Book
Old 06-01-2020, 04:57 PM

Just finished reading Sandra Dallasís latest book Westering Women. Sandra Dallas is one of my favorite authors. This historical fiction book is about forty-four women and two preachers who travel from Chicago to California to the gold mines in 1852. Along the way they face many hardships and not all of them will make it.
yrutching is offline   Reply With Quote

Runnergirl04

A lot
Old 06-01-2020, 05:20 PM

I love this thread!

Right now I just started The Light We Lost.

Recently finished Becoming Michelle Obama; Olive Kitteredge; Olive Again,: The Dearly Beloved; and absolutely loved, The Giver of Stars!
Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-01-2020, 05:37 PM

Finished two books recommended here. Both were good.
Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman
The White Devil's Daughter by Julia Flynn Siler

Now reading American Dirt
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 06-01-2020, 05:42 PM

Grace! That was me! Haha. I hope you are enjoying it!

I am reading The Family Upstairs, a thriller by Lisa Jewellóitís getting good!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Reading
Old 06-01-2020, 05:44 PM

I’m reading books by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, finished The Shadow of the Wind and am on The Angel’s Game. I have two more of his waiting, The Prisoner of Heaven and The Labyrinth of the Spirits.

These are mysteries set in Barcelona. Lovely writing, interesting plots and characters.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 06-01-2020, 05:50 PM

Finished Pachinko by Min Jin Lee Ö I really enjoyed it! I had no idea that Koreans living in Japan were in such a lose-lose situation.

I also read a new (to me) stand alone mystery from Nevada Barr called What Rose Forgot.
A 68 year old woman finds herself in a lockdown memory care unit and has no recollection.
Very good. I always enjoy her books.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Marguerite2
Old 06-01-2020, 06:00 PM

One of my book groupsí next book is The White Devilís Daughter. We heard good things about it. Several members heard the author speak. Hopefully covid things will start to relax and we can visit Kameron House in Chinatown.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-01-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Grace! That was me! Haha. I hope you are enjoying it!
Thank you! I am enjoying it! I thought it might have been you but was too lazy to look back to make sure

Quote:
I am reading The Family Upstairs, a thriller by Lisa Jewellóitís getting good!
I liked that one. I like Lisa Jewell a lot!

hand

Old 06-01-2020, 06:23 PM

Finished The Great Alone and liked it.
Started Before We Were Yours Not far enough to have an opinion yet.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Dear Edward
Old 06-01-2020, 06:51 PM

I just finished Dear Edward last night. My next book will be "Evvie Drake Starts Over". I've had a period headache off and on all day, so I haven't started yet, but hopefully I'll start tomorrow.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

June reading
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Dear lord, you donít want to know. All mind candy.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

June
Old 06-01-2020, 06:54 PM

I am reading a tale of two cities...
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 06-01-2020, 06:58 PM

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-01-2020, 07:14 PM

The Book Thief --just started
Lost Girls-finished
Everything I Never Told You-finished

love them all
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 PM

I recently finished The Huntress by Kate Quinn and The Winemakerís Wife by Kristen Harmel. Both are World War II historical fiction and both are really good. I am just starting The Room on Rue Amelie by Kristen Harmel, also WWII historical fiction.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

saraschlick

Reading
Old 06-01-2020, 08:04 PM

I just finished The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. It is a true story about a manís experience at Auschwitz Birkenau concentration camp. Heartbreaking-but also has an air of hope about it. That led me to my current read, a ďspin-offĒ called Cilkaís Journey also by Heather Morris. Definitely not happy and sweet books, but the characters and storylines are captivating and inspiring.
saraschlick is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-01-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherbee_4
I just finished Dear Edward last night.
Did you like it? I mentioned just having finished that recently upthread. I liked it! At first, it felt a little slow. But as I got used to the pacing and how the story was structured, I got really into it.

I forgot to mention I also read (just before "Dear Edward") "Life and other inconveniences" by Kristan Higgins. I really liked that as well. I definitely had the ending guessed long before it happened, but it didn't take away from the story.

Haley23

Old 06-01-2020, 10:24 PM

I'm reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood right now. I'm enjoying it immensely!

Before this I read A Spark of Light by Jodi Piccoult. It kept my attention well enough, but I didn't like it nearly as well as her other books.

I also recently read The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I really enjoyed it and read the 2nd half in one sitting- but I found the ending to be a bit implausible. It kind of reminded me of Where the Crawdads Sing. Very interesting/engaging read but there are many parts that made me go, "Really??" You have to suspend reality quite a bit.

I have definitely been reading way more since the pandemic! Usually I read a couple of books while I'm visiting home- I'm from a family of readers and there are certain times of day where everyone just sits in the living room and reads, but other than that I often just read my book club book for the month. This month we're reading Girl with Gun by Amy Stewart. It's supposed to be more light/fun and is historical fiction about the first female sheriff. Lately we've been reading really heavy/depressing books so we decided to go with something different for this month!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-02-2020, 04:25 AM

Kids Book: The One and Only Bob, by Katherine Applegate. I loved Ivan so much!

Adult book: In The Woods by Tana French. There is a show called Dublin Murders on STARZ based off the book but I have never seen it.

Listening to: Kids These Days by Jody Carrington. I heard her speak at a seminar and instantly wanted to be her friend!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Book
Old 06-02-2020, 04:44 AM

I just finished The Bookshop at Water’s End by Patti Callahan Henry. I loved it and couldn’t put it down. It was the story of two women who return to the beach house of their childhood to heal from their personal problems. It was the first book I have read by this author, but it will not be the last.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

books
Old 06-02-2020, 06:27 AM

I have to say I so enjoy seeing others reading books that I've loved in the past. I think I lost count at 8 of titles I've read and enjoyed. And of course there's nothing better than getting ideas for new reads. I have just put 2 on hold at my library, and we can now drive thru to pick up holds.
I love this monthly post!
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 06-02-2020, 11:11 AM

Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner - LOVED it! But I'm a fan of everything she writes!

The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman - it was OK - not my favorite.

I'm now reading My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. I'm about 35% in and it's REALLY good but the material is disturbing. It's about a male HS teacher who has been charged with sexual harassment of one of his students and it's told from the perspective of a former student (now an adult) through flashbacks; she was his first "victim". (Victim is in quotes for a reason.) It's really, really eye opening.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

linderdm

choppie70
Old 06-02-2020, 05:34 PM

You must read, The One and Only Bob. It just came out last month. I liked Ivan better, but it is good too.
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-02-2020, 07:09 PM

Shelby3 - I loved Pachinko! I also had no idea about the treatment of Koreans in Japan.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-02-2020, 08:05 PM

I always look forward to this thread!

I recently finished Ordinary People by Judith Guest. It was okay. Not bad enough to not finish, but not good enough to rip through.

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood was terrific! I think I liked it better than The Handmaid's Tale, but you must read that first.

This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett. I actually haven't read any of her fiction, but enjoyed her style so am starting one of her books soon.

I read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight by Sarah Maas. The first was okay, the second was better. I've heard terrific things about the series but I'm not loving it, although they were quick reads. I'll probably pick up the next one at some point, but I'm not dying to read it.

The Girls With No Names by Serena Burdick was very good.

I had never read Snow Falling on Cedars and really enjoyed it. Now I guess I should watch the movie.

Someone else mentioned My Dark Vanessa. What do I say about it? I think it was one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. I'd never recommend it, and yet I couldn't put it down.

I also read #3 and #4 of Harry Potter. I'm enjoying rereading the books, and have been doing one book and then watching the movie. It's a nice distraction right now.

I tried Tara Road by Maeve Binchy but gave up. It just wasn't pulling me in.

And, as always, I'm in the middle of the Outlander series, right now I'm on Echo in the Bone.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

dellminiwhite

Reading
Old 06-03-2020, 03:28 PM

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
The Book of Longing is a good read by Sue Monk Kidd
My book in waiting is The Roots of the Olive Tree by Courtney Miller Santo
dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 AM

I'm always behind the times when it comes to reading the latest books but here are the ones I read most recently.

Before The Fall by Noah Hawley ~ really liked it, grabbed me from the first chapter:
On a foggy summer night, eleven people--ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter--depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are the painter Scott Burroughs and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul's family.

Was it by chance that so many influential people perished? Or was something more sinister at work? A storm of media attention brings Scott fame that quickly morphs into notoriety and accusations, and he scrambles to salvage truth from the wreckage. Amid trauma and chaos, the fragile relationship between Scott and the young boy grows and glows at the heart of this stunning novel, raising questions of fate, morality, and the inextricable ties that bind us together.

The Arrangement by Sarah Dunn ~ good, easy read:
Lucy and Owen, ambitious, thoroughly-therapized New Yorkers, have taken the plunge, trading in their crazy life in a cramped apartment for Beekman, a bucolic Hudson Valley exurb. They've got a two hundred year-old house, an autistic son obsessed with the Titanic, and 17 chickens, at last count. It's the kind of paradise where stay-at-home moms team up to cook the school's "hot lunch," dads grill grass-fed burgers, and, as Lucy observes, "chopping kale has become a certain kind of American housewife's version of chopping wood."

When friends at a wine-soaked dinner party reveal they've made their marriage open, sensible Lucy balks. There's a part of her, though - the part that worries she's become too comfortable being invisible - that's intrigued. Why not try a short marital experiment? Six months, clear ground rules, zero questions asked. When an affair with a man in the city begins to seem more enticing than the happily-ever-after she's known for the past nine years, Lucy must decide what truly makes her happy -"real life," or the "experiment?"

I tried reading Warlight by Michael Ondaatje but I just couldn't keep going. Too long, too wordy, not enough going on for me. I need a mystery or some action or something to keep me going!

Quote:
I tried Tara Road by Maeve Binchy but gave up. It just wasn't pulling me in.
Same, many years ago. Just could not get into it. That is what I call a slice of life book. There was just no action, no problem, no mystery or secret to be uncovered! Def not my cup of tea.

I did put a bunch of recommended books on my library wish list, though! Thanks everyone!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

A few fun reads
Old 06-05-2020, 10:37 AM

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good by Helene Tursten

The Thirteenth Tale Summary by Diane Setterfield

Anxious for Nothing by Max Lucado
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I am always impressed
Old 06-05-2020, 11:02 AM

with how much reading everyone does. During the school year, I have trouble finding the time to read. I usually do something less taxing on my brain, like word puzzles.

I am trying to finish A Man Called Ove. The next book for our book club is Breakfast with Buddha. If I don't get on it soon, I will never get it done.

I like to read, but my brain has been in struggle mode for the last few months.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Reading
Old 06-06-2020, 09:45 PM

Right now I'm reading a trilogy by Margaret Peterson Haddix: Children of Exile, I'm in the third book.

I'm also continuing in the cozy mystery series by Bailey Cates, A Magical Bakery.

I'm getting tired of the cozy mystery genre, because the plots all seem to follow the same formula. Maybe it's time for a nice vampire novel. I love fluff
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

DLP

The Better Sister
Old 06-12-2020, 01:44 PM

Reading the Better Sister by Alafair Burke. Great book
DLP is offline   Reply With Quote