Help

Special Education

increasing general knowledge in autistic child

>

pinacolada

increasing general knowledge in autistic child
Old 10-31-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My son is autistic and I've kind of been in an autism bubble the past 3 years after I resigned from teaching and became a full-time mom. However, my sister in law and her nephew who will be 2 at the end of Nov is staying with us and I'm just amazed at how easy it is to teach him things. He is observant, likes to try things on his own, likes to be exposed to a variety of books, engages in imaginary play, likes fine motor activities (coloring, painting, play dough, tweezers, cutting with scissors etc.), likes to see how things are made/done, and plays with a wide variety of toys.

My son, however, doesn't do any of the above. So it's difficult to teach him anything through "play" because he only plays with a limited amount of things in a particular way. We've tried trying to broaden his play skills etc. by expanding on what he likes but its useless and makes him upset. So basically, what we do is kind of ABA all day. Like we say in X amount of minutes we are going to ______ and then reward him with a high interest toy. The thing is there are so many things he doesn''t know even general knowledge a 2-3 year old would know (he's 5).

How do I expand on his general knowledge. He will watch youtube videos but only if they are songs. He won't watch shows like Daniel Tiger (it's too much for him to process).

We've tried ABC mouse but that was too overwhelming too. I'm at a loss.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-01-2019, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sounds really hard. ((hug))

Quote:
He will watch youtube videos but only if they are songs.
There are actually a lot of things out there in song form, so do look - math, geography, science - lots of things are set to music (just because it helps kids remember) so you may find more than you think.

Would he respond to songs you make up for other things? You can set things you want him to learn to nursery rhyme tunes.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Suggestions
Old 11-03-2019, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there are specific things you have in mind that you want him to learn try searching on Youtube:
Super simple songs
Jack Hartman
Have Fun Teaching
are all channels that have educational songs that the students in my Special Education class find interesting.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote