Help

Special Education

IEP meeting

>

Tounces

IEP meeting
Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was told today that a parent wants to meet again. We had an IEP meeting where the child only gets written language service. The mom wanted more time for her son to be pulled out. It was agreed upon.

So I’m not sure why mom called my supervisor and said she was unhappy after the meeting because she felt it was “weird”.

Now my supervisor is agreeing it was a “weird” feeling at the meeting. She even said she felt the mom “didn’t connect” with me. I don’t know why nor have I ever had to meet again over someone’s feelings. I asked if the mom said that and my supervisor said no.
Oh, and she told me this during a team meeting with the other special ed teachers and related service providers. I felt that was very unprofessional of her to do.
So now she wants to talk to me Friday during my lunch, of course. She already scheduled another meeting with everyone including the classroom teacher, principal etc.
I’m feeling personally attacked and all I did was have an IEP meeting, agreed to increase minutes, and listened to the mom the whole time. I wish the supervisor would have my back. She should have directed the mom to talk to me first. Right? And why do I need another meeting to discuss the mom’s feelings?
Does this happen? I’ve been teaching for nearly 25 years.
This is bugging me TIA.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's totally weird, and I haven't experienced it in my 15 years. Your supervisor should have definitely had your back, and I'm sorry she didn't.

- Don't meet during your lunch. That's b.s. - I'd get my union involved if someone tried to do that to me.

- Maybe email the parent with something along the lines of, "I understand you would like to have an additional meeting. Please let me know of your concerns about Johnny's writing so I can pull any information/materials we may need to discuss." And I would cc your supervisor/somebody so you have a communication trail.

Again, I'm really sorry. The whole thing is stinky.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Could this be?
Old 12-05-2019, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could this be a case of the Parent-wants-to-make-sure-they-are-validated symptom? I have had a few of those. When the parent feels like they weren’t fully heard or validated, they often go over a teacher to ask for a meeting.

Contact the parent in advance (email is best for paper trail) and ask if there is something specific on the IEP that they would like to address with you so you can bring the proper documents. CC the supervisor on this email as this will show you are trying to make a “connection” with the parent.

When you have the meeting, stick to the facts. Make sure you hide the emotions (so hard sometimes) and present data only. If parent says they are having the meeting because they felt “weird” at the previous meeting, ask them to be more specific and talk about how you and the child connect.

This seems so silly that you are in this situation as you are a seasoned teacher. I think some parents just like to make sure their feelings are stroked when dealing with something they might feel is difficult. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Lmc762

Old 01-27-2020, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would find it totally inconvenient to meet during lunch. I would talk to my union rep about that and I would definitely keep a paper trail about it as well.
Lmc762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Re LMC
Old 02-19-2020, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No union here.
I found out that this parent doesn’t care for all the new staff at the school including the new principal. She wanted the case manager from last year.
Fine with me.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote