Help

Special Education

How many objectives do have per goal?

>

GreyhoundGirl

How many objectives do have per goal?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm starting in a new position and I'm wondering how many objectives you have per goal?

I usually do 1-2 objectives per goal (and I do 1-2 goals/subject for reading, writing and math depending on what they qualify for).

I'm looking at these IEP's and some of these kids have 4-5 objectives per goal and 4-5 goals. I think that's insane. First of all, the documentation is going to kill me. And, it's going to be impossible to focus on them and give them the attention they deserve (on top of trying to reinforce what's happening in the classroom). And, a lot of these objectives are basically identical.

Is it me? Thoughts?

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Depends
Old 02-19-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you make your objectives progress toward the goal or skills to master to achieve the goal?

I always have three objectives. Donít know why.

But my current objectives align with quarter progress as our goals are written for the next school year. Example kid is in 6th, goal starts beginning of 7th.

In the past, I have written the goal to align with grade level standards and the objectives are skills designed to reach the goal. Yes, even when the kid is years behind grade level.

I too only write one goal per subject area, with transition or social goals as necessary.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-19-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

None. We've always been told objectives are only used for severe needs students who are working primarily on IEP goals rather than general curriculum. Same in my previous district. My current director says if you find yourself wanting to write objectives, you need to rewrite the goal because it's not specific/measurable enough. I typically only write one goal per subject that the student has services in. Previous district limited us to that, current district has never said anything, but I figure why make more work for myself.

My district is obsessed with DIBELS and now part of our eval is based on students making one year's growth in that (on grade level materials) so I write a DIBELS goal for every kid unless they have math only services. I'm required to progress monitor my kids weekly in DIBELS anyway so it makes sense to just make their goal that.

Sadly around here no one really cares about IEP goals anymore so I don't worry too much about them. It's all about how students are doing on grade level assessments (DIBELS and state testing). Back in the day there was more concern about students meeting their individual goals.

Last edited by Haley23; 02-19-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 02-19-2020, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I donít have to write objectives either and usually write 2-3 reading and math goals and one writing goal. I agree that all those goals/objectives are a crazy amount to track. Can you change it as you write new IEPís?
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

Old 02-19-2020, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach cross cat and have my students for a good chunk of the day. I write a year long goal, then break it into benchmarks by trimester - what I want the student to achieve each trimester in order to make their annual goal. For example if I had a student at ending k reading level my annual goal would be to get them to ending first. I would break it into beginning first, mid-first, and then ending first for the benchmarks. I used to use Fountas and Pinnell levels but we aren't allowed to do that anymore, per the state audit we went through last spring. (I'm in Illinois).

My students don't have that many goals. I try to keep it to 5 max - 2 reading, 2 math, 1 writing. The goals aren't all I teach since they get their core from me. For reading its usually a decoding and a comprehension goal, depending on the student and their needs. Some have phonemic awareness or sight word goals instead. I don't like to do too many goals as it becomes too cumbersome with the data. I try to do goals for areas that I will be able to track data on fairly easily. i.e. reading - running records.

Our resource teachers just do the annual goal since they are supplementing instruction and not providing the core. They don't have to benchmark.

Ultimately though, you have to do what your district requires. Is there another sped teacher you can have check your IEPs until you get the hang of the expectations? I've done that for a couple of new teachers in my building.

sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 02-19-2020, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's insane. I teach a life skills class and have one goal for each subject area, with three - four objectives for each. When I get those ieps with too many objectives I pare them down at the next meeting. Yikes, that's just way too many!
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Objectives
Old 02-19-2020, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In the state I work in we have to write goals and objectives. I usually write one goal per subject and often combine reading with writing into a Language Arts goal. We are required to write at least 2 objectives per goal. I usually have 3 objectives for language arts-2 reading focused and one writing type. Then 2 or 3 at the most for Math. This doesnít mean I wonít be teaching anything else, it means that these objectives are what I will do progress monitoring on.
More goals/objectives doesnít make sense since youíll have to keep data on all of them. The gen ed teacher will be teaching these subjects too. Donít think you have to cover everything.
I try to make sure I only write about needs in the PLAAFP that I will write goals for too since these should match.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Here
Old 02-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I write one or two goals per service area. Since I have some that are self contained, it really adds up. Here we only have to write objectives or benchmarks for those severe enough to need alternate testing.

To me, it doesn't change the way I teach. I still offer whatever they need--It only affects what I need to collect data on.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
movingaroun

movingaroun

Old 02-21-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have to write at least two objectives per goal, the computer system we use will not finalize with less. I usually write 2-4 objectives. It depends an the goal. I have to have one goal for math, one goal for reading, and one goal for writing (per my district) as well as 2-4 functional skills and social skills goals per student. I have become much better visualizing on how I will teach the goal and collect the data before I write up a pie-in-sky-impossible-to-implement goal.