Special Education

Stay or go??

>

Beach 22

Beach 22

Stay or go??
Old 03-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I have been an ESE teacher for 16 years. I have thought resource, coteach. For the last four years I have been teaching a profound middle school class. Although I love it, it is somehow physical, students have severe medical needs and that among other things make it very stressful. I am thinking about next school year and debating wether I should go back to be a resource teacher. If anyone has any advice please let me know Maybe you have been in the same situation. I just donít want to regret it if I make the change.

momteachsis

Think carefully about Resource
Old 03-12-2020, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure how Resource is in your area, but in mine it has changed a great deal. In a nearby district they have implemented a strict 2 year deficiency rule for Resource, meaning that you may have 1st graders in Resource in diapers because some PreK kids are still potty training. Everywhere in our area Resource has also become a place for students with severe behavioral needs while documentation is gathered for transfer into other self-contained programs. The number of students with non-medicated ADHD that are in Resource has skyrocketed. Just weigh your decisions based on the way Resource is in your area before making the change.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Monkeyflower

Resource?
Old 03-13-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Beach 22 and others,

This is my 2nd year in resource after 12 years teaching in an inclusion model program. The inclusion model program had a ratio of one teacher, three paras, and ten students across K-6. The paras supported in the classrooms at scheduled times and I spent my day teaching small groups, and depending on the year dealing with explosions. The program was a kind of a bridge between resource and self contained. Some of the kids were really impacted by their disabilities and others just needed some check in type monitoring.

Last year, we sold our house in the big city, and moved to a smaller city, and I took a job as a resource teacher. It was quite an adjustment to go from doing 10 or so IEPs (kids come and go) to more than 30. I now have one para and several 1:1s which is another level of supervision and monitoring. At the end of last year I seriously considered applying for a self contained job in a program that was opening at my school, but in the end I decided to stick to resource.

Teaching resource has forced me to hone my data management skills. I've gotten much better at designing data sheets for the paras to use for behavior data. This has made a huge difference in cranking out the IEPs. Also with my large case load, there's little time to do anything, but work on IEP goals. I do miss my group of ten from my old school, because we could do fun things, such as, walk over to the park on a pretty day.

As another poster mentioned, resource can be used as a holding pen for students who really need to be in a self contained program. It can be part of the process of proving that this level of LRE was tried, before moving on to the next level. That can be especially true for initials, and so frustrating when it is totally clear that a particular student needs far more than resource can provide, but you will be expected to go through all the steps to prove the students needs a more restricted environment. That is definitely a downside, but hopefully that is not something that will happen every year.

On the upside there's a lot of great kids who just need SDI in one or two academic areas, and they come in for their small group, and make progress, and go back to their general education classes better able to participate in the learning.
Monkeyflower is offline   Reply With Quote