Help

Special Education

Online learning starting 4/6 for the rest of the year

>

checkerjane

Online learning starting 4/6 for the rest of the year
Old 03-23-2020, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm PreK-3rd with everything from severe and profound to mild SLD. I'm freaking out trying to process in my head what to send as far as work goes, what to send home for my severe kids, etc. Just a lot to process right now.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-23-2020, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What expectations were you given? We have a zoom meeting with our director on Thursday. I'm pretty nervous about finding out what we have to do.

My dad is also a sped teacher and he was told IEP paperwork/deadlines are still in effect but IEP minutes/services are not and that "they" (the government?) recognize they just need to do the best they can. He's in a different state though- not sure if this was a state by state thing. We've also been told IEP deadlines are still in effect but nothing about what services via online learning will look like.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No expectations were given. By the way my principal talked, the State was still trying to figure out what they expected from us. Theyíre supposed to have another meeting with the state department. At that time, they (State Department) is supposed to give guidelines and expectations.

pdxteacher

Old 03-23-2020, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Freaking out right along with you. It's our actual spring break right now, and we're supposedly going to have more info when we report for online pd on Monday.

Checkerjane, here's a link to a k-3(?) teacher doing a morning meeting using zoom and starfall. It's got me thinking.

https://youtu.be/_6IxhMgLZbs
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Once I figure out what we are doing I will post it. We are also on SB this week and supposed to be getting "training" on Monday, but I have IEP meetings (and I have a strong suspicion said training is only focused on regular classrooms). We are to start instruction on Wednesday. My team kicked up such a fuss that my P offered to set up a zoom meeting with our director this week so we could hopefully get more information.

My dad was also telling me that in his area, they let go all of the related service providers- SLPs, OTs, etc. I couldn't figure out how in the world they could just do that until he explained that there they are apparently hired by outside agencies/on different contracts. Ours are hired by/employed by the district just like other employees. When I get frustrated with this situation I try to remember I'm lucky to still be getting paid my regular salary!

FarmWife4

Online Learning/Packet work
Old 03-24-2020, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We sent home packet work for all students last week. This was when we thought it was just going to be two weeks and our time out of the classroom continues to get extended. Our district told special ed to make packets that focused on individual IEP goals. So, I compiled a lot of resources for my students and sent it home. I encouraged parents to at least do one reading, one language, and one math activity a day with their students. Some teachers have set up Google classrooms to interact with students and provide work online. The problem is that I teach K-3rd grade and most of my students do not have the technology at home. For the ones that do, I check in using my remind app and put up websites or activities that they can do. It is something that is new to everyone, so we just have to hang in here and do the best that we can!
FarmWife4 is offline   Reply With Quote

BestTeacher19

Websites and Activities
Old 03-24-2020, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Good afternoon FarmWife4,

Can you please provide links of the websites and activities for Special Education? Thank you.
BestTeacher19 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 03-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just had the meeting with my principal. Not of what she said is set in stone, and she said it could change since theyíre having another meeting with the state department tomorrow, but as of now...

(1) All IEP deadlines must be followed and held with phone conferences or FaceTime.

(2) Sending work that address IEP goals are considered for service minutes.

(3) Make myself available if parents have questions. Iím going to set up a Remind class.

So far, thatís it. I hope nothing changes because Iím okay with all the above.

Haley23

Old 03-24-2020, 10:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My director sent out some guidelines tonight. I was freaking out but I'm starting to wrap my head around it. She mentioned several ideas including pushing out assignments/videos and "meeting minutes" by doing zoom or phone calls. I sincerely hope that second part is an option that we can choose not to do.

I'm thinking that for each grade level I will make a 10-15 minute daily video going through our regular routines- like phonemic awareness activities, sound/spelling deck, sight words, etc. Then push out follow up activities kids can do at home- i.e. reading lists of words, highlighting pattern words in decodable texts and then reading the text, etc. If parents actually do the stuff with their kids it would be as equivalent as possible to their actual IEP minutes. I have no idea how many will be willing to do that, but I don't see any other way to do it- I teach K-2. I can't give independent assignments for kids who can't read. I'm also hoping I can just prove I put the stuff out there for them to do and not have to prove they did it. We still have to track IEP minutes- not sure how that works in this set up.

I also have to contact each family and explain how their IEP services will go/how this is meeting their IEP and document that they are okay with it .

For math I'm wondering if I can get away with some short videos and then pushing out games/practice sites for them to do. I'm thinking I can combine groups so it's not quite as many as I normally see during the school day, seeing as how we don't have to worry about group size/behavior issues really.

My director also said we have to continue to progress monitor and do progress reports at the end of the year. How in the world does that happen? Probably 80% of my IEP goals are based on DIBELS.

We are also to continue holding IEP meetings remotely. If testing can't be completed for initials/reevals they need to be pushed back. Not sure what documentation we'll have to do for that.

We also have to "collaborate" with classroom teachers on their classrooms. I'm not sure what they're expecting there as normally my day is 100% pull out and we're not allowed to put modifications on kids IEPs, so technically I shouldn't be modifying assignments in this setting either, I'd think. I will offer up my support but I'm honestly hoping the classroom teachers don't need a lot from me. I'm already going to be doing a lot more than they are just with putting out things for three grade levels every day, and that's before even considering IEP paperwork/meetings that are still happening.

FarmWife4

Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have the links but I googled it and got a lot from scholastic online as far as reading passages for comprehension. I was able to print whole workbooks for reading comprehension packets at different levels.

FarmWife4 is offline   Reply With Quote