Help

Special Education

Sped team t shirts?

>

Haley23

Sped team t shirts?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really hope none of my teammates read here, because I'm majorly outing myself if they do . We have a larger team this year with several new/young teachers. Some of the grade levels have cute t shirts that they wear on Fridays that say things like "Kindergarten Rocks."

They're wanting us to have a sped team t shirt. At first I thought it was a cute idea, but then I started worrying about it being some sort of FERPA violation. Maybe sounds silly, but we're not allowed to do things like reference an IEP on the front page of a child's regular report card "in case someone else sees it" . Teammates pointed out it's not like the rest of the school doesn't know we're sped teachers, but what about parents of gen ed kids who are in the building? Would it be a problem if I'm wearing my t shirt and they see me pulling specific kids?

What do you think? Am I just overthinking this? I also teach young students (K-2) and at that age I leave it up to the parents if they want to use the term "special ed" with their children. I don't generally use those words in front of kids unless I get a specific question. And I wonder about embarrassment for the older kids, but my teammate would say it's not like other people don't know she's the special ed teacher.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 11-01-2019, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you make it more vague like “reading rocks” or “math is marvellous” or whatever. Do the tees specifically have to label you as spec Ed teachers?
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-02-2019, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I actually agree with you. I don't think you should put "Sped Teacher" on it. Can you suggest something more general? "Best teachers on the block" or something like cheerio said would not be a problem. How about "Everyone wants to work with us?"
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the idea to do some sort of other quote or something, and then we could still have matching shirts. I wouldn't want to do reading/math because only two of us teach that (lots of other service providers on the team).
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

something I've seen
Old 11-02-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've seen some cute slogans over the years for sped teacher shirts that don't actually SAY they're sped teachers, but I've gotten a giggle out of.

"We do it in the least restrictive environment."

"Life Happens. Visuals Help."

"I.E.P. I Encourage Progress."

"Collecting Data is My Cardio"

Or something general and cutesy about inclusion with puzzle pieces.

d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote