Special Education

Paraprofessional overstepping

>

bms1920

bms1920

Paraprofessional overstepping
Old 12-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am having an issue with my paraprofessional... this is my first year at the school I am out, but 3rd full year as a teacher. I feel confident in my abilities as a teacher, but I also have made it clear to my para that I respect her suggestions and am always open to listening to what she has to say. However, recently she has really been overstepping. She has walked in to my class multiple times and interrupted me teaching to tell the kids what they should be doing instead. She completely disregards anything I tell the kids and tries to instead tell them what she wants them to do or what she wants to allow them to do. I have approached the issue subtly up until now. Today, I was at a training. I came back to find that my para had erased my entire agenda and rewrote it the way she wanted it. She ignored what I told the sub to have the students do and had them do something completely different.

I decided to confront her about this issue and explain that in the future she needs to run these things by me. I explained her I respect her and am always open to suggestions, but that we need to be consistent and she needs to make suggestions to me instead of just changing things in my room. She told me I was being dramatic. I told her I was sorry she felt this way, but that I felt this issue needed to be addressed. What would you do at this point? Any suggestions? Also do you agree that she completely overstepped??

momteachsis

Yes, she overstepped
Old 12-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like you are open to her input, but realize that it is your license and name on all Sped paperwork.
If there are problem with schedule changes, or lesson issues when I'm out, I do tell the sub to let the paras make changes as necessary, but only if there's an issue.
If there wasn't a schedule change you were unaware of, or nothing was missing from your lesson plan, then YES she overstepped.
I'd document in an email copied to admin that as a follow up to your conversation you are open to any discussions and ideas, but until you approve those ideas everything stays as you have it set up, including when you're out.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She's definitely overstepping. While it's nice of you to consider her ideas, it sounds like she's taking advantage of you. I might back off on even doing that, at least for awhile.

A couple of years ago I had a para who thought she knew better than me and made that quite clear. She was always trying to go off and do her own thing. I tried to speak to her privately and she just didn't listen to a word I said. Finally I had to start correcting her in front of the students. "Para, the students need to be doing their letter cards right now. Please get those out. Para, the group was over 5 minutes ago and these students need to be back to class (she couldn't follow a schedule to save her life). Students, line up." She'd try to argue with me and I gave short answers that definitely sent the message that the conversation was over.

She and the other sped teacher seemed to love each other. One day I finally asked the other sped teacher what in the heck she was doing to make his para effective in her room. She said, "Oh, I don't let her near students." . Come to find out, she was only having her do things like filing, copies, cutting things out, making flashcards, etc.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Para
Old 02-03-2020, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, she definitely overstepped. Paras donít make lesson plans. Teachers provide them. Paras can reteach skills and follow lesson plans.

Itís your job to provide sub plans as well. She is not licensed. It is not her job.

Dramatic? Why would she say that? Iíd be upset. You left plans and directions. Why is she changing them?
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-03-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does your school or district have a job description for that position?

Itís hard but youíre absolutely doing the right thing by standing up for yourself. Donít back down. Be firm in a kind way. Set your boundaries. Let us know how it goes.

KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote