Help

Special Education

Behavior student

>

Tounces

Behavior student
Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We recently got a new student from another school who has severe behaviors.
Our school doesnít have staff, self-contained room, nothing for this kid. Heís a 2nd grader. The parents left the other school because they were in conciliation. The school was referring the boy to get help at a day treatment school.
Now my principal and director of sped are making a place, hired a teacher and para. The teacher quit after 1 day. They canít find another teacher to hire so my director is setting up a program and going to teach him for now. Then they decided to make ME the case manager. Iíve let them know that not only am I not interested, I donít have the license to do so.
Not only am I being ignored, now they want me to cover for the director as a teacher for him when sheís busy doing other things.
I already have a full caseload and schedule, had no prep time til January.
I told them no again.
Anybody else been through this? What can I do? My license also has written on it- if I teach outside of my license itís a violation and I could lose my license.
Iíve let them know that too.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Just say no
Old 02-23-2020, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Continue to tell them you are unwilling to put your license at risk. Get your union involved.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-23-2020, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am amazed that your director is willing to teach a student at all. I'm not sure I understand the license thing- is EBD a separate license in your area, and you don't have that certification? Here sped teachers have generalist licenses and we could never say we won't teach a certain kind of disability. If you have a union, contact them and push them to contact someone else (i.e. someone at the state level) if they're not that familiar with sped stuff.

I also wonder what the parents think. Did they not want the day treatment school? Are they aware that the solution your school is proposing is to have an uncertified person teaching their child? Does the director even have the proper certification to teach the child? If you were to do this, would your other students be missing their service minutes on days you have to "cover" this one child? I'd make sure you put that in writing somewhere to cover yourself at the very least.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Re behavior student
Old 02-23-2020, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is no union where I work.
The director is a coordinator for all of us special ed teachers. She does have the license. So do two other special ed teachers there but are on variances.
Iím a resource teacher. My license covers mild-moderate levels only. It states right on my license that I canít teach out of my license area.
I donít have CPI training either.
The parents donít want day treatment. They believe what their child tells them only. He accused a staff member of hitting him in the face twice already. Iíve talked to admin and I put everything in an email. They just ignore me and tell me Iím going to be the case manager and work with him.
He is violent toward students and staff. I canít protect students or myself either. I donít want to be involved at all.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

mshelbyk

Old 03-05-2020, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What about contacting the state licensing department? Tell them what's happening and ask them what you should do. If you don't work in a school with a union and a state with at will employment, I'd worry about pushing too much on your own and potentially getting fired.

What state do you work in?

mshelbyk is offline   Reply With Quote