>

HydroFlask

HydroFlask

Another
Old 03-08-2020, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I'm a new educator here in California and I had a couple of questions:

1. Under IDEA (2004), are Paraprofessionals a part of the IEP team?

2. What is another item that can outline accommodations for students with disabilities? I know IEP's are one item.

3. Is every student with an IEP automatically qualified for assistive technology?

I would appreciate the feedback.

teabreak

Hope I can help
Old 03-09-2020, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
1. Under IDEA (2004), are Paraprofessionals a part of the IEP team?

2. What is another item that can outline accommodations for students with disabilities? I know IEP's are one item.

3. Is every student with an IEP automatically qualified for assistive technology?
Question 1: Yes and No. Yes they help you and the student, but no they don't come to the IEPs. You can get anecdotal notes from them if they work with a particular student in a push-in class, but they are not a part of the decision making process during an IEP meeting.

Question 2: The IEP is the ruling document for students with a diagnosed disability. It is a federal document and can be used in court. Are you asking if you need to make up a separate document to show the accommodations to teachers? That is fine to do as long as they are aware of how to implement the accommodations. In my district, the teachers have to sign a formal document stating they got and are aware of how to implement the accommodations.

Question 3: No, not every student needs assistive tech. This is based on student need. Assistive tech can be as simple as a calculator for math or as complex as an Audovox for speaking purposes. It depends on the student.

Did that help?
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 03-09-2020, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just an add-on to #2. Some students who have a disability but are not educationally impacted may have a 504 plan that gives them protections. IE: we currently have a student in our district who has dwarfism. He is educationally on target, but does need accommodations such as a step-stool to reach sinks, lowered coat hooks, lowered paper towel holders, lowered railings on stairs, etc. Each year the district is required to make sure these needs are met for the grade and classroom he is in.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote