Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

New teacher needs help w/ocean theme!

>

MissSchell

New teacher needs help w/ocean theme!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll be a first year (eek) teacher instructing 2nd grade this yr, and thought it would be cute to go with a beach/sea theme since my name is Miss Schell. Does anyone have bulletin board titles or ideas for throughout the classroom that would be fun but would not take away from teaching?

Also, any tips on card turning? How many cards do you allow students and what are the consequences of e/card turn? I.E., warning with first card, 2nd card you lose 10 mins of recess, etc..... I don't like the loosing of recess idea since most kids who are misbehaving need to let out energy to be more on track!

ANY ideas welcome! THANK YOU!

MissSchell is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaM

Some ideas I found on PT
Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome Boards:
Diving into ____ Grade
Swimming into a New Year

Display a "catch of the day" net. Every time a students is recognized for their good behavior for the day, their name goes into the net. Whoever has their name in the net the most times at the end of the week or month wins a prize or gains a privilege.

We're "HOOKED" on learning!
"FIN"tastic Work!
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

gracie813

card turning
Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had mine take a 5 minute break and write/draw out why they were turning that card. They also had to list three ways they could correct their behavior. It was a good way to have them think through and have something to show the principal and/or parents if it got to that point. Hope that helps!
gracie813 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

ocean theme
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First, go to Collections and search under the ocean/beach theme for ideas already posted on PT. A lot of other teachers have posted really great ideas and pictures on this theme. Good Luck!
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaM

Try this link!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=171004

LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

misscrig

bulletin board
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 2nd too, and I did a back to school board and made flip flops out of foam. My title was "Second Grade is Flip-Flopping Fun".
misscrig is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyNero

Beach/Sea Ideas
Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here's a document with different decorations and ideas for Bulletin boards. Hope something on here can help you.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tropical Theme Ideas.doc (324.0 KB, 385 views)
KellyNero is offline   Reply With Quote

peronie9

Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

KellyNero, what a great document with wonderful ideas. Do you have any pictures of your room? How does your behaviour bay work?
peronie9 is offline   Reply With Quote

CathTeach13

Beach Theme
Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used a beach theme last year. I have a file with all of the ideas I searched last year and pictures of my room. Let me know your email and I would be happy to email you pictures and files.
CathTeach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyNero

No I dont have pics
Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I need to take pics of my room. I dont have behavior bay in my room, its a picture I found on PT i believe. My behavior chart is called Behavior Beach.

KellyNero is offline   Reply With Quote

INteach6

Ocean Theme
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have done ocean-themed BB's before. Here a a few wall/BB ideas:

~Jumping Our Way Through the Day (I made dolphins and whales and put our schedule on them)
~Fishing for Excellent Attendance (fish net and fishing pole with a dock...each day we have excellent attendance they get to add a fish, after so many fish they get a reward)
~We are hooked on good books!

If I think of any others, I will let you know.
INteach6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching123

Aloha!!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also have a Hawaiian/Surfing theme.

-Dolphin Dimes that are traded up for Sand Dollars
-Sand Dollars are spent at the Treasure Chest
-My rules use the acronym ALOHA
-Surfer of the Day
-I call homework "Beachwork"- I told them to put a beach towel in their rooms as they do their Beachwork
-Splash Zone- carpet
-Attention- I say Surf's up! They say Hang ten! and put their hands in the air with the "surfer's signal" (sign language for Y)
-Beg. of Year- "You'll Flip Over who's Flopping into ____ Grade!" with the flip flops that you get when you get a pedicure. I wrote their names down the middle with Puff paint and their first Beachwork assignment was to decorate them according to their interests.
-"Put a Good Book in the PALM of your Hands"- palm tree with my bookshelves
-Guided Reading Table is called "the island"
-Behavior Beach for card flipping
-Lots of Hawaiian/Luau decorations around the room
-Waves of Multiplication- I first got this BB set at TAPS. It has the facts on surfboards. I bought the small styrofoam "kickboards" at Dollar General and put a cutout of a wave under them. Inside the wave, I put the Mult. surfboard. As the students passed their facts, I moved a small cutout surfboard with their names on them to the next kickboard, using a pushpin.

I hope this gives others ideas for a Beach theme. I absolutely love having Summer ALL year long!!!!
Teaching123 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetolaugh

Ocean/Beach Theme
Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I taught Kindergarten last year and I had an ocean/beach theme in my room. My word wall was titled "Ride the Word Wave". For the letter headings I found surfboard clipart and printed it and put the letters on there and used ocean wave border around the bulletin board. Outside my door I hung up blue bulletin board paper and it said "Dive Into Kindergarten!" I used diver and fish clip art with the students names on the divers. For my behavior management I had "Behavior Beach". Instead of turning cards, I made color wheels with one green, two yellows and one red pie section. Then the wheel that turns on the top, I made to look like a beach ball. Green of course was good, the 1st yellow was a warning and they could still make it back to green. The second yellow meant there was no going back to green so it would be a yellow day. And red was a 5 minute time out and a note home to their parents. On Friday, students that had all green days got a prize out of my treasure chest. My student of the week was my "Starfish Student of the Week". And my monthly newsletter was called "Mrs. Wright's Monthly Wave". I had a ton of pictures of my room and I am having trouble finding where I've put them. If I find them I will post them for you to look at. Let me know if you have any questions.
lovetolaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
mls2001
Old 07-14-2009, 02:49 PM
This message has been deleted by mls2001.

mw105

Beach Pictures
Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am doing a beach/ocean theme this year. Can you email me any pictures?
mw105 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinnGA

Pictures
Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If anyone has picture of their beach themed room I would love to see them. E-mail them to me at mseyevansclass@yahoo.com. Thanks!
teachinnGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrs. Huff

Mrs. Huff

2nd grade teacher
Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I taught first grade for 10 years and am getting ready to start my second year teaching 2nd grade. I have a big suggestion for you to NOT do any card turning. After many years of seeing these kinds of behavioral systems, and trying some myself, they don't work. This is what you will find they do . . . the students who turn cards all the time are unaffected when they do and those who rarely have to turn a card are devastated if they have to. I RARELY have kids miss a recess, but do try my best to have consequences match their behavior. For example, if a student throws water all over the mirror in the bathroom he or she will need to clean it during their recess time. That is a natural consequence for dirtying the mirror. We use the BIST program in our school and I don't know if you do too. With BIST it is never okay to be hurtful or disrupt learning. In our classrooms we have a "safe seat" and we have "buddy rooms" with safe seats. This is a place for a student to go if he or she is not okay following the classroom rules. There is a lot more to it than that, but it would be hard to explain everything :0) You may be thinking that this would humiliate a child, but it is all in how the program is set up,explained and managed in a classroom. It is effective for most students and the best tool I have used. Please take it from a seasoned teacher who has high expectations, but cares about her students' feelings . . . do not do a system where all of the other students can see when others are being "bad". It does not create a positive atmosphere (and yes, I know a lot of teachers do it! Trust me though! )

kannette

Classroom Rules
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In your post, you mentioned that your class rules use the acronym ALOHA. Would you care to share your rules?
kannette is offline   Reply With Quote

Smocknmom

surfboard cutouts
Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am trying to find some surfboard cutouts to use. Has anyone seen these anywhere? I seem to be striking out everywhere.
Cindy
Smocknmom is offline   Reply With Quote