Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Do you have a literature?

>

tchr45th

Do you have a literature?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching k-5 intvtn and with my 3-5th gr and one component of my intervention class (we use Phonics for Reading, REWARDS, and 5 MIN to better rdg too) is the students must read books outside of class for AR. Does anyone else use a literature component with their Intervention class?

I have read a lot of Allington's books and he (and others) really emphasize reading voluminously. Every day I meet with my 3-5th and I check them books out (I have a substantial library) and they MUST have them in class daily and read their assigned reading nightly--with 4-5 gr it is 30 pgs a day. I have read all the books I check my kids out and can converse easily with them on the books.

The kids are responding positively to the expectation for the most part--if they do not have their book they must do Read Naturally. 3rd grade is the most challenging because some of them still aren't reading competently enough and also tend to forget their books. They know I will do a book check on everyone and have brief mtgs/rdgs with 2-4 kids a day. Since we started AR in Dec, I use it to track their quizzes and scores and am quite impressed by the growth some of them are making. All love the weekly Reader of the Week awards--usually based on AR info. I don't use AR points tho--I use word count--and we track the word count for each on a bulletin board. (the goal is a million words of text)

It will be interesting to see their test scores. I also use AIms and PM them every 2 weeks --and fluency scores are going up.

tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote

msgage

what's your framework?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What you're doing sounds great. I have a few questions. How much time do you see a group for? What's your group composed of? What's the framework of your time?

I totally agree re: Allington & voluminous reading. Are you Title I? RTI? We use Soar to Success and first grade LLI books (but you're asking about 3-5, I think). One 6th grade group is reading their classroom text with an RTI teacher for discussion and word work.

I use REWARDS as well (it's been hard finding another teacher who does!) with 6th+ graders. I used it with a 5th grader (or was he a 4th grader at the time?), but I use Remedia publications with 4th graders. I've only used REWARDS 1 on 1. I love the progress I see! Do you use it with a group?
msgage is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr45th

Msgage...
Old 04-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I see 4 adn 5th for 45 min each--I try to provide 8-10 min daily for novels-lit instruction-book check and or to read with kids to help them "get into" a book. My aide does the same thing. The reading support we give them often is enough to jumpstart their interest in a book.

I am Title I. I meet with all small groups of 5-6. My goal is 5 but teachers usually beg for 6. I will not go higher due to space on the table. I am trying to reach as many as I can. With the budget as it is, the pressure for success, testing, etc-I really felt providing 1-1 with 8 kids a year might not be enough. The last teacher only served 8 kids school wide--yes, she had success--but I in a school with 75% title it appeared low service numbers were not going to help us meet AYP.

Next year I am planning on doubling up on K, 1st and 2nd-morning and afternoon sessions.
tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote