Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Criteria?

>

3monkeys

Criteria?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What criteria do you use to select your students for Title (if you are in a targeted Title school)? For example, do you just use test scores, or do you also include classroom teacher referral?

I am a new Title teacher. The last Title teacher included teacher referral, but our principal wants to just use test scores.

Any input? Thanks!

3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

westwood

both
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use test scores AND teacher input. Teachers are asked if their student is average, below average or below grade level and then asked to rank the need for title choosing 1-10 with 1 being the greatest. That way if a student doesn't test well but is a great student they don't have to be served or if they are a good guesser on tests but perform well in the classroom, that can make a difference.
Hope that makes sense??
Good luck!
westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Thank you...
Old 09-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that teacher input should be used also. I think that I am going to propose to the principal that maybe we should use teacher input, but maybe not rank it equally w/ test scores. For example---give child 10 points if they rank low on test scores and then have teacher rank the student on a 1-5 scale (w/ 5 being the greatest need). Clear as mud?
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

atomicpoppy

At my school
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught T1 at a middle school. We used reading test scores, SOL scores, Benchmark scores, and the teachers ranked them 1-3 (3 being the most urgent). Students had to score a "red" in 3 of the 4 categories to be included in the program. We had MANY students struggling my school, so having all of this was the only way to make the numbers reasonable. (Over 1/3 of the students were 2+ years below grade level in reading alone.)
atomicpoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

My state
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

requires that teacher input or ranking can not be a main criterion for my upper level elementary students...3,4 and 5. But it can be used as a main criterion for lower elementary.

We use NWEA Map RIT band scores, STAR reading grade equivalent in reading level, and my grade level placement test. Those are the main 3. Then I also have on my criterion sheet teacher ranking 1, 2,3 and their state testing results...just for info...as my state won't let me use it as a main criterion.

Hope this is helpful.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Ranking
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The problem I ran into in my school, when we used to use teacher ranking on students, was having teachers who simply gave a student all 5s (most points) to force them to qualify. I overheard one teacher tell another to do this for any low student. When I brought my concerns to my director, he wisely advised that we could find other criteria for eligibility. Ranking works if teachers have integrity about ranking, but another concern is that it isn't the same person's opinions for all students, there are several people and their opinions involved.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

SassieTeacher

Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is what we use:

Reading: NWEA %til ranking on the reading test (Fall 2011 & Spring 2011 (if we have the data)) Also we use, Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark kits, the teacher recommend thier lowest kids then we in T1 will do further testing on words, ect from the F & P kit.

Math: NWEA %til, last years nwea (if we have the data) this year we tested our kids on the previous years cumulative benchmark test for the end of the year. Then teacher recommendation is the last criteria.

We first service the kids that are below 40% percentile.
SassieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

terrorbird

Ask for state guidance
Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One of the confusing things about this is that the states are given the right to provide guidance as to how they would like programs run. I know the state of Michigan has a very very particular way they like the criteria system to be run--strictly directly academic-related criteria, most importantly standardized test scores. My auditor/consultant advises something very simple: a standardized test score and one or two other common diagnostics. If teacher input is used it has to be done in a very very particular way: every single student must be evaluated based on the exact same rubric, created by the Title 1 teachers.

Your state's DoE should have some resources on its website for guidance AND you may be able to call the people who will potentially be auditing you in the next several years for guidance. Those are the people who you need to make sure you appease.
terrorbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2Read3

Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We use DIBELS scores as the main indicator. However, if there is a student that may have had an off day on the day of the test, or a student did well by chance and we see otherwise in the classroom we tweak things based upon our own opinions (Both classroom and title teacher).
Luv2Read3 is offline   Reply With Quote