Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Book give-away

>

MrsM

Book give-away
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

With part of my budget allowance, I order books from Scholastic that the kids choose, and allow them to keep the books. One great way for a child to love reading is to have books they choose to read.

Today I'm handing out more books. I allowed them a choice up to $6 value, and because I use bonus points it costs much less than it could. So far, half the books have been given, and not one "thank you". They are talking, excited, skimming, reading, focused, laughing, and thrilled, but nobody remembers the manners. I'm not going into "mom" mode and remind them of it, just something I noticed. No, I'm not doing it to be thanked or to be recognized. I wonder if any of the afternoon students will remember their manners.

MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Sounds so much the same...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had this same experience... a lot more often than I like. Pencils at Valentines, books from my regular ed classroom days on give aways, etc.

It is very frustrating. I am not sure the world practices manners as much as I remember...My school teachers grilled us on manners. I am just so reminded of the quote about children learning....and therefore demonstrating....what they live.

I guess all we can do is 'be the change we want to see in the world' and remind and praise those kids who do remember their manners.

I can certainly relate!!!
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

update on manners
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One child in my final group did say a sincere thank you. The other four children at the table still did not thank me. I get hugs all the time from students, and each and every time I thank the hugger for it, because it's given from the heart and I'm sincere. They do hear me thank people for delivering items to me, or for doing me a favor, and it happens so often I'm sure they are simply tuning out what's going on around them. Oh well.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote