Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Changes

>

Sue W.

Changes
Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our Title I program was decimated this past year. Money was diverted for teacher training and mandated set-aside funds in case we didn't meet AYP goals (annual yearly progress) on state testing. We had to have funds available if parents requested their children be bussed to another school or would seek tutoring from Silvan or a similar source. We went from serving first through third graders to only first and lost over half of our staff.
In January our new superintendent discovered that the money set aside for bussing was sitting there unused. When we received test scores,last fall, we HAD met goals after all. The acting Title I director just hadn't gotten around to filling out forms to have it released. We could have been serving more kids since then! Those of us remaining in the program had been working 4 day weeks, so we each got the added 5th day, which was great for the kids, classroom teachers, and our pay checks. It was decided, however, not to reinstate help for 2nd and 3rd graders for the rest of this year. HOWEVER! The remaining funds had to be used or returned so we are getting new materials, Early Success to go with the Houghton Mifflin 2006 edition.
We have not added new materials for 8-10 years so it is due. We will each be getting $2000 to requisition office supplies, games, etc. to last for the next few years. Next year's plan is to reinstate 2 of the teachers reassigned this year and we will serve 1st and 2nd graders again. It will be fun shopping, but I feel sadness for the kids who missed out this year.

Sue W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

I feel your frustration!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sue,

Our Title I $$$ have been reduced by 15% each of at least the last 3 years, if not 4. Last year at spring break we had to let an assistant go because there were not enough funds to continue paying her, so we had to release 1/4 of our kids. This year we lost the other assistant we had. We also lost one of our Reading Recovery teachers but did pick up another Title I teacher from another building. We have gone from 4 certified teachers and 3 instructional assistants serving 2 buildings to one building, one Reading Recovery/Title I teacher (me) and one full time Title I teacher (no Reading Recovery). We haven't been able to buy supplies for about 2 years. Luckily I had the foresight to stockpile materials, although I did tell our director I was going to need to order Reading Recovery supplies this year. He gave the go ahead and I turned a purchase order in about a week ago. Don't know if it got sent in yet though. Next year we may not have the money to support 2 teachers in the building. So, have fun ordering supplies, and know that at least NEXT YEAR you will be able to make a difference to some of those kiddos you couldn't see this year.

Susan
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote