Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Do you send books home with students?

>

SunShining

Do you send books home with students?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work as an EA in a Title I program, which I love. We teach K-5 reading groups of about 10 kids per grade level, and meet with groups for 30 minutes per day. We recently started checking books out for students to bring home with a reading log. We started with 1st grade because we have 40 minutes with them, and on Thursday (also progress monitoring day) students can choose a new book to take home.

Teachers are putting the pressure on for us to send books home with students daily. The book check out process takes about 10 minutes - we check in returned books, students browse books, and we check out their new choice. However since our time is so short with each group of kids - who badly need it - checking out books daily would really only leave about 15 minutes of quality instruction. The 10 minutes to check in/out and the time for students to come in and get settled, and then put things away to go back to class. I love what I do and most of the teachers at my school are great, but sometimes I feel like teachers think the Title I program is there for their convenience and not so much for student support.

Does anyone else send books home with students?? How often do they get new books?

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Not sure if this will help
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught first grade at a title I school and sent home books twice a week with a note asking parents to read TO their child for the first half of the year and then added books the student could also read during the second.

I bought the books at yard sales, swap meets, and library fund raisers so they were mine and inexpensive. I had a large plastic envelope for each student with his/her name on it. I had a pile of English books on one side of me and Spanish on the other (the Spanish books were much more expensive). I called names on the envelopes two at a time to select a book to take home. No envelope meant the book hadn't been returned, so no new one went home. After a week or so of nagging, I made a new envelope and wrote off the book. I got almost all of my books back.

I had three boxes of books after awhile so I could switch them out throughout the year to give new books and then reintroduce old ones. The kids gave recommendations to each other and often reselected a book several times. I did a quick book show and tell of some of the books during the introduction of a new box until all had been shown.

Another thought:

Sounds like the teachers would rather you risk your books going home then their classroom libraries. You might want to check out sites like Reading A to Z (a subscription site your school may have joined or might pay for) which has leveled books you photocopy and can send home without worrying about losing books. They can be circulated just like regular books and so reused many times, but not a tragedy if lost.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

SunShining

Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks!

We do already send books home, using a similar system that you do. The kids all are given bags with their name on them and can take a book home. We record who checks out what and when they bring them back on Thursday, they can check their book back in and get a new one. Checking the books out for students to take home itself isn't the issue, and we really aren't worried about losing books. It's more that classroom teachers are wanting us to do it daily. We only have a half hour for most groups so letting students take home a new book daily would take up a huge chunk of intervention time.
SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

dhzebra

if you can
Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I firmly believe that kids should be practicing reading daily. I would try to streamline your checkout process. !0 minutes for ten kids seems really long. Don't let them browse so long. I think it could take 3 minutes tops. If you don't really care about the specific title, don't write it all down. Just get a book, put it in the book bag, and go. Just my thoughts, Good luck.
dhzebra is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

yes, grab and go
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The difference in our systems seems to be that I don't record who takes what, the missing envelope cues that a book is missing.

I'd offer the classroom teachers the chance to send home books on the days you guys don't, so the students have daily books.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

zale

books
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have the classroom teachers send home books with all kids. They know their reading level and in intervention I don't focus on what reading level they are on. I work on foundational skills that help them be successful readers.
zale is offline   Reply With Quote