Intervention & Title I Services

Diagnostic screener NWEA

>

lking1970

Diagnostic screener NWEA
Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,
I teach in Ohio and we are undergoing many state mandated changes. We currently use DIBELS for our diagnostic, but our district is planning to change to NWEA testing. Does anyone have any feedback on this?? Good, bad or otherwise? I think it's called "North west evaluation something"??
I would like to hear reviews of any kind.
Thank you

lking1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

teapot

Nwea map
Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district uses this test for both reading and math in grades 1-10. We also use the science portion of this tests for grades 6-10. This test does give you a lot of great data but you have to remember it is only a snapshot of what a child can do at that one given time. We use it for student growth. Our students are required to take it three times a year. The biggest issue I have with this is how the growth is measured. The second test does not count for anything. So, if say a child scores a 152 on the first test, a 198 on the second test and maybe had a rough day and only scored a 178 on the third test. The way MAP is set up the child's growth would only be 26 points because they do not get growth credit for the second test. But, the child's third test starts at the level the second test left off. So, in my district we are fighting to not take the second test so the third test will not start so high.
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote

lking1970

Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much, this information helps me! I agree with your point about the mid year test. It seems unfair to not count each test as student growth.
Thanks again
lking1970 is offline   Reply With Quote