Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Classroom Set Up

>

Lillybabe

Classroom Set Up
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious, how do you all set up your classroom? Do many Title I teachers have their own classroom? I just moved rooms and the room I had before was semi organized but it was organized in a way I did not understand. Now that I can start fresh I am a bit overwhelmed with the task of setting up my new room. What makes it worse is that I have to have surgery and may not be able to lift or climb at the start of school. This means I will have to recruit others to put up my bulletin boards and such. Being short I can't very well put up much of anything without climbing a ladder. I'd love to see what everyone else has to work with.

My plan so far...

I have eight large shelves at the back of my room with four levels each. I plan to use the top shelf of each for teacher resources, the middle two shelves for student resources, and the bottom shelf for infrequently needed student or teacher materials.

I would like to have a little reading nook but yet to have anything for it. I'm thinking a couple of bean bags or other comfy seating and a small rug. Along the long wall on the left I plan to have my computers (I have a lab of 10 PCs) and on the wall across from that are my 2 bulletin boards and my white board. My white board isn't magnetic which makes things annoying. The front of my room will be mostly taken up with my desk and teacher PC.

Nearest to the bulletin boards and white board I plan to have a small group table which I will use to pull students. In the middle of the room I will have another table for small groups or so that I can use both tables to do larger group instruction. I also have a couple of small desks I can put around the room to break students up for testing and things. I just always feel my room looks so bare and uninviting. Tips? What do other people do? What should go on the walls?

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I think you're lucky to have such a big room! Most of the Title 1 teachers I've subbed for either have a tiny room (think converted conference room) or share a larger room divided up as office space. The meet with groups in scattered computer labs, spaces carved out of book rooms, tables in the back of homeroom classes...wherever they can.

I'm sorry about the surgery making it tougher. Does your school host student teachers? One might really enjoy helping you set up your bulletin boards and getting to "pick your brain" about it as you work. Or if you can get in touch with the guidance counselor at the high school in your district, maybe there's a student trying to find some community service hours for credit?

As for layout, I like the plan you already have. It sounds neat and practical. If you are worried about not being able to hang things on the whiteboard, they might let you put a small cork strip along the top. You could always ask. But with your bulletin boards so close, it might not even be a problem. You could just section one board for current business - notices, a calendar, etc. on one side, and the closer side to the white board related to your lesson. Then you could use the other BB to display student work. (If you do have help at the beginning, you could pre-set it with some pockets made of page-protectors, so the kids can slip their own work in later.)

Don't worry too much about your room looking bare. A lot of the kids you pull are probably very easily distracted, so you don't want too busy-looking a room anyway. A few nice touches will do the trick - like your reading nook idea, an inviting classroom door, maybe a couple of posters over the computers or behind your desk. - Maps are my favorite thing to decorate with, as they double for sneaking in a little geography when discussing the settings of stories.

Good luck, and enjoy your new space!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote