Intervention & Title I Services

Book Bag Ideas

>

TeacherKari

Book Bag Ideas
Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello fellow Title I teachers!
This year I am going to be able to focus on Title I Reading, since I transferred from a 1/2 time Title position to a full time Title position. I'm excited, but a little nervous.

Anyhow, in our Title I program, we have the students take home book bags to work on their reading at home every evening. I would like to revamp it this year. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas as to what I could add. Last year our book bags had:

*sight word work--usually a sight word in bold and then a sentence that they had created with the focus word underlined

*fluency fun--a poem or short story that the kids could read together with their parents--either parents read to child or a shared reading

*book--we have baskets of books that the student would choose a book at their appropriate independent reading level and then answer generic questions dependent if the book was a fiction or non-fiction book--what was the setting, who were the characters, etc.

We included a letter to the parents describing each task and a sheet with strategies for parents to use when helping their child at home. I found that the sight word work was difficult to manage and was always trying to keep up with it. I used Frye's last year and will be switching to Dolch due to the management issues. We will continue having them choose a take home book(s) and will have to have sight word work for those who need it.

Does anyone have any other good ideas for what we could include with our book bags? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

TeacherKari is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

word hunt
Old 08-14-2008, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could assign a word hunt. Based on the child's needs, have him/her hunt for ?# of examples of that word or word pattern in print. You can have extra old magazines for them to take home to search in. For example, Justin needs to find -in words and you assign him to find 3 of them. He can cut out "win", "thin" and "chin" from a magazine and glue them to an index card.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Book Bag Ideas for Littlies
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You'll be green with envy when you look at Amanda Madden's take-home Literature Bags (A few samples attached).

Click on the link on her page for the contents lists:
http://teacherweb.com/SC/bells/madden/ap2.stm

And KinderKorner's Discovery Bags will take you in a whole new direction:
http://www.kinderkorner.com/discoverypacks.html
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sample Literature bags Amanda Madden.doc (141.5 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by AussieBird; 08-14-2008 at 07:21 AM..
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

pidges

Book bags
Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could send the sight words home on a ring for drill and practice.
pidges is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

TeacherKari,
I'm sorry I did not understand about Title 1 schools (or any other Title designation) at the time of posting about book bags. We don't have classifications of this sort in Australia although there is funding for so-called 'Disadvantaged schools'. I see now that you need the sort of high frequency word games and activities etc that others have already mentioned.
I have some sight vocab ( Dolch) boards that you print and laminate and then play with a die (if you think these children would have someone else in the family to play with ).I'm not sure of the age group of your chidren but they would suit Grade 2 and upwards I think.
If you are interested, could you send me your email address by private message and I will mail the 12 boards to you.

Last edited by AussieBird; 09-15-2008 at 06:22 AM..
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherKari

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks to everyone for your ideas. I've been working with the former Title I teacher to make sure that the activities that we have the students work on are meaningful. That's really been my focus this year: is it meaningful? Since we have a new spelling program at my school, I will be basing my "word work" on those lists. The program is differentiated and is based on sight words in their classroom.

I have various options for students to do their "word work." One is spelling the words using the mix n fix method. Another is looking for their word in context, whether it be in the newspaper, the mail, TV, the internet. Another activity is creating make and break sentences with their words.

I'll have to let you know how it goes. I haven't had them take their book bags home yet, since we are still just getting into the swing of things.
TeacherKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Red Robin
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM
This message has been deleted by Red Robin.
Ms_Prez
Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM
This message has been deleted by Ms_Prez.