Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Concern about my school's future!!

>

ncman071

Concern about my school's future!!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, i wasn't sure which board this actually belongs to, but this is also my first post. I teach 3rd grade in a low income title one program. I absolutely love it. The kids are great but come from terrible enviroments with little to no support at home. The teachers i work with are mostly very good. I actually got "teacher of the year" last year for my school. I couldn't ask for a better group of students and group of teachers to work with.

However, our school is one that has been down on its luck for several years. We made "school of progress" in the 2003-2004 school year which was prior to my first year of teaching. Since then, we have not made AYP's. Our children are disadvantaged and we have the largest amount of state tested EC students in the county for grades 3, 4, and 5. I'm not trying to make excuses, but i'm just trying to set up the atmosphere so readers can kind of visualize where we are coming from.

I'm very concerned about what might happen if and when we get "taken over" by the state. someone was telling me a while back that the teachers may get fired and forced to reapply but i have seen no proof that this will happen.

So, basically i'm wondering what will happen if we get taken over eventually and how will it look on my record/resume if i decided to go to a different county/school. I really don't want to leave this school. I want to help them rise from the ashes so to speak. i love my students even the ones that have severe emotional/anger issues.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any ideas/support/suggestions you might have.

ncman071 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

in the same boat
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If we do not make the extra point this year we are in school correction and all the yadda, yadda. I don't think you will have trouble reapplying since you have yourself established. I would think that this would give the big dogs the chance to get rid of those people who are not pulling their weight. But the bad fact is that you can everyone doing the right thing and you can not control home environment etc. So this thing about clearing the board has 2 sides to the pancake. I don't think it should go against you on a resume. You can state you have had the experience of working with children in at risk situations therefore this gives you more experience to make you a well rounded teacher. Just because a person teaches in a school with high test schools that does not make the teacher that teaches in a school with low test scores bad unless the shoe fits. Wish you the best.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote