Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Disrespect, I'm so tired of it!

>

MrsM

Disrespect, I'm so tired of it!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I get so weary of this. I'm required to have scheduled, documented collaborative planning with the teachers. I serve 14 teachers right now, so it's ridiculous for me to think of trying to connect with each of them individually. I have regular planning times when we are all "off-duty" during contract time, but nobody shows up. I sent emails last Friday, at my principal's suggestion, to remind them to come to planning time and that it's in the best interest of the students, but nobody showed up. In fact, only 5 of them have read their emails as of this morning.

I do have 2-3 friends among the 11 3rd grade teachers. One told me this morning that she knows I do a great job with the kids and that I'm a very good reading teacher. Then she said the others continue to gripe that I just want to get the kids out of my program, I don't take enough kids, I'm just lazy and do less work. The guidelines say 30-60 kids is a full-time caseload, and this year I started with 56. Lazy! Students who passed two assessment instruments which said they read at 3.5 or above at mid-year were graduated without teacher input. The reason is that teacher input is always, "They can't do the work in the classroom! No, they won't graduate!" Guidelines state that our goal is to graduate all students so that none need us. Classroom attitude is that the kids belong with me, because they sure don't want them in their classroom!

I'm not notified when a recurring weekly program had to be scheduled at reading group time. There is a field trip later on, and I have to find this out from the kids. Luckily, they are very willing to let me read their permission slips to find out when they won't be in the building.

I've thought about changing districts, but the job market is tough. I think I can hold on for a few more years, and am trying to think of a business I can enter when it's too much and I must leave. I have been a stay-at-home mom after teaching a couple of years, and I know I will miss the kids tremendously, but the "adults" I can live without, thank you very much.

MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Been there, done that!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel your frustration! When I traveled between buildings I never had time to meet with teachers (heck, even now, I don't have a common planning time with them, so it's catch as catch can). My colleague and I came up with a form called coordination guide. We made these out for each teacher for a grading period at a time. We had the students' names at the top with a place for the teacher to write the name of the story/book they would be reading for that week, a place to list tet date (if one was coming up for that week), a place for skills the teachers wanted me to work on, and a place to list if there would be reasons students wouldn't be coming to Title - field trip, program, etc. This was all at the top of the page.

At the bottom of the page were boxes for the days of the week. I would plan right on this page in the boxes. I then requested that these be turned in by the end of the day on Wed. so I could plan for the upcoming week. Since I traveled between buildings, I needed that extra day. Besides, that gave me an extra day for those stragglers.

I can't tell you that all teachers filled them out but even if one or two did, I would base my activities for all students at that particular grade level on what I did receive. That also gave me documentation of who was following procedure in case anyone complained.

I don't use them any more. Instead, our first grade teachers send out a weekly newsletter that tells parents what they will be working on for the upcoming week. They slip a copy into my mailbox. I don't get them from all the teachers, but they are all always on the same story covering the same skills so I really don't need one from each teacher.

Hope this helps...hang in there. We don't have too many more years to go.

Susan
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Susan, I would love to do something like that for the teachers here, in fact, I re-opened the can of worms by making a suggestion. In my grad class recently was an idea of a travelling notebook. Teachers would write in it what they had been working on in class, anecdotal notes on the Title students, etc, and a student would carry it to Title I. I would then add notes about students, activities, successes and concerns, and send it back. Well, doing 11 of these for one grade level....cumbersome! And, I thought about the kids reading the notes on the way to class, FERPA problems. So, I wrote an email, printed it without sending to the teachers, and dropped it into my principal's mailbox asking for her approval. I would be asking for teachers to email me at least once a week with info, insights, upcoming events, etc, and I would email them with the same from Title I. Principal said it would be okay, but she'd really rather I meet personally with the teachers. Of course, I wisely read that as: Don't do it, Donna, keep trying to get them to meet with you. Mostly, I just needed to vent.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote
melissssanne

melissssanne

Teachers Point of View
Old 08-12-2006, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wish I had someone with your drive and intelligence at my school. In my school I have an "IST" that has our team meetings with us. I go, faithfully. Mind you, this is a woman who does NO work with students. I go to these meetings and all I get is more work today or something new I am to implement immediately that throws off everything I have been doing. I am not treated like a professional, but rather I feel like a temp that is being retrained at every weekly meeting. Is it possible that the teachers at your school are expecting a situation like this, or have they experienced it in the past?