Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Do you have a pull out Title I?

>

charger

Do you have a pull out Title I?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your school have a pull out Title I program? We have until this year. Now the Title I teachers come into the reading classes. I wnat to know what you think works best ? Thanks!!

charger is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

pull-out
Old 01-17-2009, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have pull-out in my school. I can see kids from many more classrooms this way, as I have groups that are from two classrooms. To go into the rooms, I wouldn't have the time in my schedule to visit every classroom. The problem I see with pull-out is that some students don't transfer the learning to the classroom setting. What they will do for me, they may not do in the classroom and are still stuck behind the others.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We also have a pull out program. We can see more children but sometimes the teachers make the children make up what they have missed in the room, thereby putting more pressure on the kids. This doesn't happen very often. If you go into the classroom, make sure the teacher doesn't ask you to work with students who are not ID'd as Title I kids. You are only supposed to work with those you have identified as being Title I. We just had an on-site review and at least in our state they are getting really picky about this.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Pull out
Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have always had pull out and I agree with the 2 previous posters who said you can work with more classrooms this way, often doubling up grade level rooms. I saw a different poster who said that their title program works with the basics and not necessarily what is going on in each classroom....specific vocab, specific skills, etc. I am sort of new at this...in my 3rd year...but I have a weekly communication with each teacher as to what 'story' and skill they are on and then I will spend part of my time with the kids, addressing those particular skills or vocab or both. I also hit the 'basics'...fluency, reading strategies, comprehension work...but having been a classroom teacher, I always felt like my title kids didn't get work on whatever we were doing in the classroom and therefore, saw no indicators that it was doing any good.

My rationale for this approach goes back to 3 of my criterion for placement...report card score, grade level placement test score, and last reading test score. From these 3 I can also get ideas of skills and other basic deficiencies, but I also hope to see improvement in these 3 scores so I try to target what they will be tested on. Does this make sense to you?

I have offered to go in to classrooms, and I have only had 1 teacher take me up on this, for a writing assignment. I like having my own room, setting up my own lessons, around what the kids are studying. I feel like I would be a glorified 'para' if I just went in and did whatever lesson the teacher was doing. Maybe not...but I enjoy my freedom. But, as I said, I am willing to do it the other way.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

dallasdeb

Old 02-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

we do both, depending on the situation. We lost our classroom, so we have to work in the hallway or corner of the library. It's pretty distracting. But for intense interventions, we need to work with the students OUTSIDE of their regular reading block, so we have to take them elsewhere. In the best situations, the students get the regular differentiated reading instruction, and then 30 minutes tailored to accelerate them

dallasdeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 02-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our emphasis is supposed to be push-in, but between teachers that simply don't have space for me, teachers that can't manage their class well enough for me to teach in there, and teachers that are just uncomfortable sharing their space, I do mostly pull-out. I think it works better, particularly for the classrooms that management is an issue in.

I try to allign what I'm working on to what is going on in class. I often teach the same Reading skills and strategies that the teacher is working on, so that the kids get double exposure. It works well for the most part.
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

kidzread

Pullout/Push in
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do both. We work in the classrooms with the teachers and this year we are trying LLI Leveled Literacy Intervention by Fountas and Pinell.
kidzread is offline   Reply With Quote