Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Color coding vowels

>

TeacherKari

Color coding vowels
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever tried color coding vowels a certain color so that students pay attention to them better?

I have a student who can tell me all of the phonics rules in isolation. When it comes to applying it, he blanks out and has a hard time decoding words. His classroom teacher and I were wondering if we made the vowels red--would they stick out to him and help him?

He was tested for special education and parents declined it, so he is still receiving Title 1 services at least. I was told he was "a classic case of a learning disability."

Please share if you've tried this or something else that may work.

I really appreciate it.

TeacherKari is offline   Reply With Quote

EmilyP103

Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My vowels in my magnetic letters are red (consonants are blue) and I do a lot of making and breaking of words with those.

I also have my vowels highlighted with highlighting tape on my ABC chart. I would give him various strategies for decoding words. Teach him that there are multiple ways to figure out an unknown word!

Is he catching his mistakes?
EmilyP103 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherKari

Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have those same magnetic letters, that's why I thought about trying the color coding.

He already knows his decoding strategies--chunk it, use the picture, what makes sense, skip, read, skip, sound it out, etc.

It's so frustrating not knowing how I can better serve him. It's hard to hear how much he's struggling and think 'that would be so frustrating to read that way.' He's such a hard worker and has great comprehension...
TeacherKari is offline   Reply With Quote

EmilyP103

Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If I had a similar student, I would just practice phonics. Even though he knows the strategies, let him know that he needs to use those strategies! Making the vowels red might not hurt - give it a try and see what happens! I've seen teachers have students decode nonsense words before to get a better grip on phonics. For example: thastong

The build-a-word worksheets from Fun Fonix might be helpful as well. Plus you can always make your own! http://www.funfonix.com/

Good luck, I know how frustrating it must be.
EmilyP103 is offline   Reply With Quote

WISOAK

color coding vowels
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We color code vowels (classroom and resource) in red-on handwriting chart; in sound boxes; early level sight word and word wall words and higher level '' chucking'' and spelling pattern work. It really seems to help those struggling readers. We also pair it with "Literacy Links"- signs matched with each sound.

WISOAK is offline   Reply With Quote