Help

Substitute Teachers

chatty kids

>

ciounoi

chatty kids
Old 09-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When I am subbing, I usually don't worry too much about students talking during easy work/transitions. I was a quick learner in school and I know that while many kids really do need that half hour to write a paragraph, just as many will finish in ten minutes and be at loose ends for the next twenty! I prefer to concentrate on making sure that work is getting done and students are not damaging anything/cheating/eating random junk/killing each other. Sometimes I wonder if I should crack down on the chattiness to have more control over the classroom.

What do you think? Should chattiness generally be expected/tolerated by subs? Would you be a little more strict with talking?

And for the record, students don't talk during tests or other more intensive assignments - they know and I know we can't have that!

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

SubZ2u

Old 09-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I sub, I usually allow students to talk quietly w/each other if they are working on a group assignment. However, if I have to warn them more than two times to quiet down, they are told they are not following instructions and they are not to talk to one another for the rest of the day. If a student continues to talk w/o permission, they will have to sit out 5 min for recess or the students will not be allowed to have free time when their lessons are caught up.
SubZ2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Bigowl

Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a very good question. Since you make no reference to the age class you are teaching,I'm assuming 5th,6th through middle school.

There is a very fine line, I beleive, in the volumn of chattiness. In my experience, I can be more lenient with some classes than others. Experience will teach you this. Some classes you have to apply the prison lockdown method, whereas other classes just run themselves because the kids know what they have to do and do it. I have been substituting for six years at the same schools I attended. I have a big advantage over most of you because I know most of the people in this town of appproximately 15,000.

One thing I would reccommend to you is, if possible talk to the teacher or the principle and know in advance what you are up against. Some teachers, in fact, most all will pre warn you of the problem kids. These kids will test you and the rest of the class will be watching how you handle the situation. Nip it right there and then with excessive dicipline to the bad ones.The rest of your day will be much easier.
Bigowl is offline   Reply With Quote

i-sub-2

Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Students can never be given "free reign" with talking. They must be taught appropriate conversation and voice levels. Yes, there are students who can talk and work at the same time, but few are good enough to talk as much as they want and remain productive. Plus, there are students who will be distracted by the talking of others, and you cannot allow a few students to distupt the others.

You also do not want to give students the idea that some work is more important than others. Allowing students to talk freely during certain assignments makes them believe that work is not worth of complete concentration.

Excessive and off-task talking will lead to all of those other issues that you wish to prevent. Students should limit talking during independent work times to a whisper, and they should only be permitted to talk about the work. It will make your life much easier.
i-sub-2 is offline   Reply With Quote