Help

Substitute Teachers

Here we go again!

>

Kataqueens

Here we go again!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So now that I'm a certified teacher with my Master's, I will be introducing myself to students as a "guest teacher." I didn't want to sub another year, but due to the slow economy and hiring freezes in good ol' New York City, I have no choice but to make the best of the situation. I learned a few things from subbing last year, namely that I should be very careful with whom I converse with, follow everything to the tee if I am given specific instructions, and not expect to be treated as an equal by staff and students. I'm hoping to get a lot of work from one particular junior high where most of the staff are friendly and garner respect from their students. I also hope that the Middle College school I worked at last year graduated the block of students who were troublemakers. =)

Anyone else "stuck" subbing again? What are your strategies to secure full-time employment for the upcoming year?

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetolearn

Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am also certified to teach now in NY, but will have to sub because of the freeze. The worst part is, that my sub certificate only allows me to work in the ONE school in Queens that I was at last year! Did I mention that it takes me well over an hour on public transportation to get there? I was so sure that when they renewed my license it would be for all of NYC, but apparently not.

I would love to hear everyone's suggestions for securing full-time employment for the upcoming year as well. Sadly, Kataqueens, I still have the slightest glimmer of hope, that the freeze will be lifted before the start of school on Wed, and maybe, just maybe, I'll have a shot at something
lovetolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

I am subbing too :)
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I received my Masters in Education (Elementary Education certification) in May of 2008 and have been subbing ever since... Today was my first day back (half day). I had a nice morning with the kids...most of them remembered me from last year (made me smile!!!) The principal even welcomed me back and thanked me for coming in... I love that school!! All schools should be this welcoming...

BUT I really, really want my own classroom (insert whinny voice here ). Unfortunately, there just aren't enough jobs to go around. So...I keep subbing

I learned a lot last year too... esp,. from this board... Things I am doing to help me get a job: I try my hardest to make a good impression... I am just really shy with other staff members. I am trying to be more outgoing.. I am really outgoing with the kids. I try really hard to do everything the teacher asks of me and even go to the office to offer my assistance when I have nothing to do (doesn't happen too often). I leave detailed notes with contact information in case the teacher has any questions or comments.

I think the more people you know, the better your chances are of getting remembered when they are looking for someone to fill a position..Like they always say.. It's not what you know that matters, it's who you know

It's hard to stay positive when there are no jobs available but on days like this, when the kids are great and everything goes right I can't help but smile

Hang in there... Eventually, we'll get our turns to write "Guest Teacher" plans
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
BUT I really, really want my own classroom (insert whinny voice here ). Unfortunately, there just aren't enough jobs to go around. So...I keep subbing
Ditto.

I don't know. I'm hoping that once school starts (Tuesday), they'll notice that they can't actually function without all the positions they cut and will hire some new teachers. I'm hoping that one of the teachers who likes me enough that they do things like try to set up their doctors' appointments based on which days I'm free to take their classes will need to go out on maternity leave or something. I'm hoping that it's true what someone told me the other day about state laws changing on Jan. 1 to make retirement easier or cheaper or something, and a flood of jobs open up after Christmas.

But mostly I'm just hoping that I can at least get enough sub jobs to stay afloat financially this year...
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

guest_teacher

Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Congratulations on the certification and on the master's degree!

As for your being "stuck" subbing while waiting for a regular teaching job, I am in essentially the same situation this year, but have decided not to substitute. My bachelor's and master's degrees are unrelated to teaching, and I can explore other job options before re-entering the school employment mill next spring/summer.

Some students, parents and teachers in the schools where I have substituted still regard me as a lesser life form. They can be downright condescending and abusive! It is wrong for them to look down on any substiute; substitutes are hard-working, flexible, and creative, as everyone on this board knows. Their snubs really get my goat, because 70% of the regular teachers in my district do not have master's degrees, and the few who do have 1-year ones in education, either from a "matchbook" correspondence outfit or from a local, low-quality, predominantly undergraduate university. (It is amusing to note that research shows that many teachers were themselves bad students. I was always a top student.)

Substitute pay was a small source of extra income when I was in graduate school, but as a primary source of income it wouldn't cover my living expenses. I live rather humbly, in an apartment, with no car, and with a spouse who covers half of our domestic expenses.

Worst of all, even though I have opened four classrooms, serving as teacher of record for two to five weeks in each case (the limit is six weeks in the same classroom, for substitutes in California), principals who don't know me see the word "substitute" on my resume and write off my experience as worthless.

For a teacher who is or is about to become certificated, substituting can be a trap. I cut the cord last Friday, two weeks into what would have been my fourth year of substitute teaching. I have been spending my time studying for certification exams in additional subjects, calling on more distant school districts, and applying for non-teaching jobs in the private sector.

Last edited by guest_teacher; 09-04-2009 at 06:37 PM..
guest_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

One school!?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Like Guest Teacher, I am seeking full-time employment in other fields so I don't have to rely on substitute teaching , but if nothing else comes up before I get my own classroom, I'll have to stick with it and tutoring. I had 2 interviews this summer: a long term sub position and an after-school intervention teacher, and neither one hired me. I recall one school contacting me at the end of June to see if I was still available to sub (they never called me all year) so I'm hoping they call me this year!

Last year, I only worked in 5-6 different schools on the middle and high school level, and I stopped accepted jobs in April; haven't subbed since (it's a loooong story!) Lovetolearn, what school are you referring to? You're able to substitute in any NYC public school. Have you contacted the DOE about this? Believe me, Subcentral will call you for random schools just as they had called for me last year (and I rejected every one, can't do that this year!)

lovetolearn

They have changed the procedures...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

KataQueens, when I applied to become a sub, sometime around March of 2009, NYC was no longer accepting applications for new subs. As far as I know, it was only supposed to be a temp thing, but even now no one can become a sub in NYC and work in all the schools. If you look on the Teach NYC website, it explains it. If you already have the certificate from 2008 or earlier, you are able to sub in all the schools. Yet, if you're unlucky like me, you can only sub in one school, after getting a nomination letter from the principal.
So, I work in one school in Queens. It really isn't fair because I am not able to get all the experience that I was hoping for through subbing. I'm trying to make the most of it, luckily I really love the school!
lovetolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

I do remember now....
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I got my sub license during the summer of 2008, when I thought that I would only sub for one year. When they stopped accepting new subs, I thought to consider myself lucky, I guess. The good thing about subbing in one school if that you become known by all the teachers and staff, and it's usually a much more comortable work environment than going to new buildings every day.

i-sub-2

Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do not consider myself "stuck" being a substitute. I am thankful to have any opportunity to work, given the current state of the economy. I also talk to whomever I wish, follow directions given, and am treated well by staff and students.

I choose to keep a positive attitude and appreciate having a job. That alone has gotten me several long-term and full-year positions.
i-sub-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mslodi

Congrats!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Congratulations on your Master's. I personally I am enjoying substituting. Granted that there are some days where you wonder "WHY" did i take this assignment. The problem with substituting is that it does not pay enough and currently I am on a second job search! The economy being what it is and so many displaced teachers out there without jobs that it will be a while for all of us. I have already resigned to this idea. Continue to apply for teaching jobs and enjoy the good and bad days.

mslodi is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliTeach

In the Same Boat!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm a California teacher with a Master's degree who has 5 years classroom experience, 2 in private school, and 3 in public. Because of all the budget cuts I'm back to subbing day to day. I'm trying to make the best of the situation, but it has been very tough. My classroom is packed up and sitting in my garage. It has been an emotional roller coster, I go through feeling angry, frustrated, and then just sad. I have created sub flyers and gone to around to the schools asking them to post them. As well as leaving a detailed note with my information, I have also left a note to the principal of how impressed I was with their school. I'm hoping that by subbing at different schools I will get my name and face out there for consideration if any full time employment comes up.
CaliTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Yes, I am "stuck" with subbing.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Indeed, I am "stuck" with subbing.

I have been doing this work since 1997...Did I try to do something else? Yes. But, I have had no success getting other jobs which offer full-time wages and benefits.

I have even attended a community college and studied a subject, which has nothing to do with education. Unfortunately, I am unable to secure a even part-time job with that training yet...

I have spent summer months applying to various jobs, hoping not to be stuck with subbing again. No success.

Last year, I have signed up with a temp agency which gave me some low-paying temp jobs.
It was better than nothing. This year, the temp agency gave me very few jobs. I guess the bad economy is the reason.

I am going to keep on trying to secure a full-time employment...I will keep on applying for jobs in the public and the private sectors.
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Congratulations on deciding to get out.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

For a teacher who is or is about to become certificated, substituting can be a trap. I cut the cord last Friday, two weeks into what would have been my fourth year of substitute teaching. I have been spending my time studying for certification exams in additional subjects, calling on more distant school districts, and applying for non-teaching jobs in the private sector.

_______________________________ ___________

CONGRTULATIONS on deciding to get out at least for now...I do agree with you about subbing becoming a trap. I had a CA teaching license. I got it while I was working as a sub. But, I was not successful in getting a full-time position. Then the license expired...I now only have a sub teacher permit...

It is difficult for me to get out...I don't have anyone else who could support me financially while I am on a job search 100% of time.

longtimesub

Keep a positive attitude.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do not consider myself "stuck" being a substitute. I am thankful to have any opportunity to work, given the current state of the economy. I also talk to whomever I wish, follow directions given, and am treated well by staff and students.

I choose to keep a positive attitude and appreciate having a job. That alone has gotten me several long-term and full-year positions.
_______________________________ _______________________________ ____

I agree that we all have to keep a positive attitude...It could be worse...There are many people out there who are unemployed.

Subbing is not a "dream job". But, a job is a job...