MissDee721

Adaptive Phys Ed class for tomorrow
Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm subbing tomorrow for an Adaptive Phys Ed class. The
children range in ages of 5 through 13. They are most than
likely low functioning Autistic to CP to ED. What's a good
game to play with everyone? Also, not sure if I will have
access to materials, like the scooters.. Any suggestions?

ciounoi

Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my experience, the aides will come along and will know the general drill. In the absence of aides (which I HIGHLY doubt will happen), you can play a very basic game, e.g. pair up the children and have them pass/roll a ball to each other, or you could do some warm ups by running, jumping, skipping, etc. If these kids are low enough to warrant adaptive PE, think very basic exercise, as well! It's very difficult for some students to walk on a line, or follow directions, for instance. It will all probably take longer than one would expect. Good luck!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachK-6

think simple
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I worked in a life skills class a couple of years ago and am trying to remember what the kids did.
1. Have them run relays- they love it!!

2. You can play a game with cones and a ball (not sure what it is called) but you set up the cones in the middle of the gym. Divide the kids into 2 teams. Give each team 4 balls. When you say go or blow a whistle the kids on one team have to throw the ball (soft ones) at the cones and try to knock them over. the kids on the other side have to throw the ball at the other kids and try to get them out (kind of like dodge ball).

3. We used to start off by having them run a couple of laps around the gym.

4. TREES- Have the kids stand against the wall. Pick 2 kids to be the trees, they stand in the middle. you give a command like bunny hop, skip, run, walk, etc. and the kids against the wall try to get to the other side. the trees have to obey the command also and try to tag the kids going across. If a kid is tagged he/she becomes a tree they must then stand in their place and try to tag the kids for the rest of the game. Last 2 standing become the next trees.

Good Luck hope this helped
TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote