Help

Substitute Teachers

Teacher assistants

>

digits

Teacher assistants
Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had wonderful and not so wonderful experiences with teacher assistants. I have not subbed that much in lower elementary school, but when I have been in a class with a full-time teacher assistant, I usually let her be the teacher (if she wants to be) and I be the assistant. The class runs quite smoothly that way and much gets accomplished.

However, middle school is a different story. There, the teacher assistants accompany disabled children into regular classes and so aren't the regular teacher. Have you found any of these teacher assistants to be annoying? One I worked with recently would take it upon herself to yell at all the students (who were working in small groups and therefore had to talk with each other) when she thought they were getting too loud. I heard one of the students say under his breath, "You're not the teacher, she is." I wanted to say something to get her to stop, but I didn't want to make a scene in front of the students and I also wanted to minimize any negative contact with her. However, if I sub in this school again, I will probably have contact with her and I wonder how best to handle her.

Do you find some teacher assistants yell too much? How do you deal with these people?

digits is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 09-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Man, I feel your frustration totally....last year I was subbing in for a teacher in MS and she had an assistant (FABULOUS!) so I thought...she would come in and start in on the kids..."if you don't quiet down I'll tell SSS teacher that you were not listening and talking out of turn and you will lose your free time when SSS teacher comes back!" and it wasn't even 5 minutes into the class....

when they left (during the 2 minutes for the classes to switch) she stays in the room because "the BAD class is coming in and I want to make sure they don't get out of hand"....she even had the nerve to repeat this while they were in the room, "OH, yes, these are the BAD ones---they don't know how to stay quiet and on task!"

The students look at me and I'm like WTH.....and it was only a class of 18!!!!!

All I can say to you is to let the assistants go because even if you write them up and tell it to the teacher the teacher already knows that the assistant is terrible...and MOST likely the've done this in front of the teacher too and 99% of the time they just go on with their lesson
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

rbs2000

Teacher Assistants
Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I agree with you. I have dealt with T.A. that sit back, and let me do all the work. They will help getting the kids quiet, but when it comes to the teaching part, they will let me do it. Now I have had some Assistants who wanted to do the opposite. I just did what they told me to do. When I have taught in Middle School, I have never had anyone to help me, and it was the first and last time I taught M.S. I guess it depends on who it is.
rbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Be careful.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have dealt with teacher's aides before...Most of them were friendly and helpful...

However, there were some teacher's aides who were not so nice...

They decided to complain to the regular teachers that I wasn't helpful or didn't do enough. (I had no idea why they came to that conclusion.) Soon HR sent me the letters stating that I will not work at those schools again...

Be nice to teacher's aides...Don't make them think that you are relaxing while they do the work...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote