Help

Substitute Teachers

Curious how other subs handle ....

>

lv2read

Curious how other subs handle ....
Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

distributing your business cards at schools that you work at or would like to work at. The past two weeks I have been dropping by local schools and leaving my business card w/either the SAA/SAS and at times in the staff's mailboxes. Today was the first time that I noticed other substitutes cards in the mailboxes and thought of removing the other cards.

I decided to take the high road and left the cards there because I know what time and effort I have put in designing, making, printing and distributing my cards that it seemed unfair to sabotage someone else's work.

I was wondering if any of you would consider or have removed the other sub cards to eliminate competition.

lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

No
Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't have removed them. Teachers might not even call subs they don't know. If those subs are strangers and so are you, your chances of being called are probably equal. You wouldn't want another sub removing your cards. However, I am usually honest (!) and wouldn't want that done to me.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

No, I would not touch them.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't distribute business cards, I leave my information at the bottom of the note that I leave for the teacher at the end of the day. I figure that if the teacher likes what I did, then he/she will call me back

Also, I wouldn't touch something that was in another person's mailbox. Not only is it unfair to the other person who put the business card in the mailbox, you could get into a lot of trouble if someone sees you taking something that doesn't belong to you...
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I gave out cards yesterday, and noticed some other business-card-looking things in some of the boxes. I assumed they were from other subs, but didn't look at them.

It didn't even cross my mind to take them. And I don't want to sound too judgmental, and I know how hard it is to compete for jobs, but honestly I'm a little shocked at the idea.

Also, IMO it's a complete waste of time and cards to indiscriminately leave them at schools where you don't know anyone. I did that last year and got exactly zero requests from it. This year I'm only bringing cards to schools where I've worked regularly, as a "Remember me? I'm still subbing!" kind of thing.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote
LynneLC

LynneLC

Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, I would never take them. Clearly it's dishonest, and what if someone saw you doing it? What if someone had already noticed that they were there, and then later he/she notices that several cards are missing and only yours is there?

I don't have to worry about this because our town goes through an automated system, so dropping off cards isn't going to accomplish much. The system does have "priority" Substitute Teachers, but the only way to become one is to get known in the schools.

lv2read

Good to know that there are honest subs
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

out there. I am surprised that some of you think that leaving cards is a waste of time and effort. I was a sub and passed out cards to schools that were in my district three years ago and then I secured a full-time teaching position. I got calls from teachers asking me to sub when I was teaching, therefore, I felt that it would be good to pass them out again. I'm back to subbing because of budget cuts and lay-offs.

While I was distributing cards recently, I actually scheduled three days of work at one school. Thankfully, I was at the right pace at the right time. This school thanked me for stopping by because they needed to add more subs to their preferred list. I was pleased to accommodate them.

Good luck to everyone. Let's hope that we are able to work regularly and keep the bill collectors at bay.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

SubZ2u

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think that it's a great idea to leave your business card, but I don't think it would be professional of you to remove business cards that are not yours. Respect goes a long way! Remember the saying "what comes around, goes around". With that being said, would you want someone to remove your business cards!
SubZ2u is offline   Reply With Quote

qudiva

Old 09-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Why in the world would you even be tempted to remove something out of someone else's mailbox? As subs we are entrusted with a lot of things including the teacher's desk and confidential information. As a teacher, would you trust a sub who would be unethical enough to steal from your mailbox, with your class and desk? It doesn't take anything to sully the reputation of a sub. You need to guard your actions closely.
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote

i-sub-2

Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would never have considered touching something in another's mailbox, ever. I do not even like to remove items from the mailbox of the teacher for whom I'm working when I have specifically been told to remove an item from the box to distribute to students.

Had I been a teacher in that school who had seen a substitute removing cards from mailboxes, I would have made sure never to call that substitute.

No, I do not leave cards because teachers do not call or request their own substitutes. Plus, it is a small district and I know most of the teachers.
i-sub-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mslodi

Never!!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am glad you did not remove them. Can you imagine if a teacher or principal had caught you in the act? Then you would have to suffer from a bad reputation and loss of jobs. I don't believe in business cards myself, the teachers will ask for whoever has subbed for them or if they hear of a sub doing a great job for another teacher. The best that you can do is leave your info with the teacher. Also remember to leave your info with the school's secretary, in a pinch they might ask for you.

mslodi is offline   Reply With Quote

vocalstudent

Cards
Old 10-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I staple a business card on each sub report I complete. When I go to a new school I also leave a sub card with the office manager and let them know I am available for roving jobs.
vocalstudent is offline   Reply With Quote