Help

Substitute Teachers

restroom breaks

>

Art/Eng guy

restroom breaks
Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The classes I have subbed for have one scheduled potty break for the students, elem k-5. I have a hard time telling a child to hold it. how do the rest of you handle it?

Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

One at a time and for only 2 minutes,,,,
Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Scheduled potty breaks are a dumb idea. Kids gotta go when they gotta go. But...

Just to eliminate the goof offs, I only let then go 1 at a time and I tell them that they got only 2 minutes to get back

This helps eliminate "friends" getting together and detours coming back to class.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote
Buttascotch

Buttascotch

Bathroom Breaks
Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't feel bad about telling kids to wait for the bathroom. Older kids can wait but if they really can't hold it then I tell them to go to the bathroom. The only time I've told younger kids they have to wait for the bathroom is when they're in kindergarten and they should have gone before nap time but even then sometimes I still let them go if they are really bouncing around because they can't hold it.

Here in my district in FL, if the classes don't have a bathroom inside the class then the kids have to walk with at least one child to leave the classroom, so sometimes you can't avoid the kids goofing off with one another.

yoohoo

Old 09-13-2009, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't follow this rule either...I once subbed for a teacher that had them go to the bathroom at certain times (once in the morning; once in the afternoon) I felt this was absurd!!!!!

The only way i found out was when a student asked me to go and I said sure why not? Another student came up to me to explain the teacher's policy...

I then made a general announcement that if you need to go just let me know and I'lll write it down in my notes to the teacher: the students couldn't believe this----they were actually scared and thought it was a joke!!

Suffice to say, I've never been asked to go back to the classroom---and I sleep just fine at night too.....

Ridiculous how some of these teachers think----
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Agreed, Yoohoo
Old 09-13-2009, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and rest assured that if one of those kids wets his pants because of that stupid policy that you would never be asked back, either.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Art/Eng guy

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm glad to see it's not just me, who thinks scheduled potty breaks do not work for younger children. Since our district requires younger students to leave the classroom with a buddy, I'll have to risk a little goofing off. Thanks for all the advice, it was a big help.
Art/Eng guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Restroom breaks
Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had my first job of this year this Friday (first week of school) and it went quite well for the most part except the washroom break problem in the afternoon. During silent reading, students would come up and ask to go to the washroom. I only let one kid go at a time, but soon I started to have a nice list going of who was next. Then one boy says 'it's an emergency I really gotta go" so of course I let him out. It was getting ridiculous!

After 20 minutes, I just stopped the class and said they were getting older now (grade 5) and they should be able to hold it. It was really hot and they had lots of water at lunch so that might have contributed to it but still. The APPROPRIATE time to go is at lunch and recess, which we discussed.

As a substitute though, you can discuss when is the right time to go and expect that behaviour from then on --- but you probably won't be there the next day to reinforce it, and you weren't there the day earlier to explain it.

My 2 cents.. or however many words that was
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Isn't that funny how they all do that "Monkey see, Monkey do!" The hard part is knowing when they just want to roam the halls and when they really have to go. Once I had that happen in a 5th gr. class, one had to go, then another and another until I finally said that was the last person to go let's get back to work, lunch is very soon you can go then. Well, the kid I cut off at was the son of one of our couselors at the school and low and behold guess who got a talking to the next day (it was a 2 day assignment) as to why I wouldn't let HER son go to the bathroom when everyone else had!!!

Now, I let everyone go but only one at a time, but they need to wait until someone has returned or if we are not discussing something vital. This is a tough battle to win, better to let them go then have an accident or get yelled at!
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

ncd1

not a fan of scheduled breaks
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So far, luckily, I haven't encountered scheduled breaks! I know that it can get out of hand with kids going all day, but kids (especially younger ones) just "gotta go when they gotta go." I tell classes right off the bat that I keep a bathroom log and will leave it for their teacher. I also tell them that they will not go out together so they should ask to go before they have to go really really bad, because if someone else is out (usually their best friend) they are not going to go. I find that this works well and kids get the point really quickly. They know their teacher is going to see how often they went and they will have to explain why they went 12 times in a day!
I'm not sure what I would do about scheduled breaks...probably try to adhere to the schedule and if kids have to go at other times, I would do what you did and leave it in a note for the teacher. It should be on the kids to explain why they had to "go" at other times, not on you to explain why you let them. I agree with Augustus...if one of those kids wet his pants because you didn't let him/her go, it would look much worse for you then letting kids go when they really didn't have to.
ncd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
rbz

rbz

Another view of scheduled breaks
Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I used to work as a regular teacher, scheduled bathroom breaks were the norm. However, if a kid really had to go, teachers would usually allow it.

I'm not a big believer in scheduled bathroom breaks, and I don't often see teachers do it when I sub. Yet, at times it is necessary. I was once in a first grade class where the achievement level was very low. Getting the kids to stay focused was next to impossible. When the work got hard, they knew that the bathroom was the place to go. One after another, it was, "Can I go? I really have to go!" It just didn't stop, and it was very hard to get any work done. Very few of them could wait because it was always "an emergency." I took matters into my own hands and took them all at once so that we could get some work done.