Help

Substitute Teachers

When it's in callout....

>

COSub

When it's in callout....
Old 09-14-2009, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

it seems to show up on my screen but I can't take it until someone rejects it on the phone?? When does it flip from in callout to open? Never? And when is the best time to sit at the computer and get jobs...night before when they are calling out or shortly before callout or shortly after. Yikes. This district seems to use all capabilities of this software.

District uses SEMS/SmartFind Express.

And how come I picked a job where I pray for people to get sick?

COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Buttascotch

Buttascotch

Callout
Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district uses SEMS/SmartFind Express as well. The only way the job will show up for you again is if the person decides not to take that job on the computer or phone. The only way you'll see if a job is open is if you click on it and you can accept it or decline it.

I don't know how busy your district is but I don't sit by the computer waiting for jobs to pop up. If I happen to be on the computer then I'll check a few times before I get off. I also just call into the system and check for jobs that way too.

There have been times I check the system like crazy and it doesn't get me anywhere which is why I don't check it like I used to. In my district, so many people have decided to sub and the teachers aren't taking that many days off that last school year I spent many days at home. It was frustrating because I used to be able to pick and choose where I wanted to sub. Now I can't be as picky because I don't know when another call will come in again.

COSub

Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I didn't realize that you could click on it and see if you could accept. Thanks for the tip. I'm new at this and wasn't sure to only rely on the call out. I've gotten a job from being called the night before but also picked up one last week in the afternoon before the 5pm callout.

But thinking about it more closely, the job was for a half day. I've heard subs before in the teachers lounge say..."I don't do half days". So maybe that's why it was available.

Anyway, this seems nerve wracking and I'm thinking if I want a job for that day, I'm gonna have to wake up very early to get it.

This district is the biggest in the area and its sublist is still open. Everyone and their brother is probably on it! All the other school districts are not taking new subs.

Thanks for the advice.
Buttascotch

Buttascotch

Glad I helped
Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think a lot of subs don't do half days here in my district but I figure that if you take the job at least you made a little bit of money for the day. What state are you in if you don't mind me asking. I'm in FL.

Amberlee

half days
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to only do half days due to my health situation -- so I didn't mind if no one else wanted to

Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

Old 09-14-2009, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use SEMS/SmartFinder Express here in my county as well, and from what I understand, when a job is in "Callout" that means it was potentially assigned to a specific sub and that it is free when they decline it and that begins after 5pm although we are still trying to figure out how it works (we started using it last year. )

As for half days, who cares...the more you are working...half or whole your face is out there and the teachers have the potential to meet you and ask you to sub for them when they need a sub. Our school wants the teachers to book their own jobs this year and has given them a list of our phone numbers to call us direct prior to putting the info in the system. So out of sight, out of mind, the more I am at the school the more jobs I get even before they hit the system.

We have been in school for 15 days and I have worked already for 8 of them, am schedule for tomorrow and have half days scheduled every Wed. till the end of Oct. (Golf coach schedule) all from word of mouth or being there at the right time and place.
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm in Colorado, Buttascotch. These half days are working well for me. I got one off the web for Thurs morn. (HS English) and tonight SEMS called and offered me an afternoon on Thursday subbing MS SPEd. Thats one whole day for me!!

Right now I'm taking whatever they offer to get myself known.
Buttascotch

Buttascotch

That's great
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

COSub, that's good you're getting calls! I only worked 2 1/2 days so far and school started Aug. 25. This is typical at the beginning of the school year so I'm hoping I'll get some calls for Thurs. and Fri. since tomorrow is a half day for students.

blanche46, I'm jealous of you working all those days lol!

blanche46

Old 09-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Don't worry Buttascotch...I know my streak will probably end soon too, the flu that hit our school at the beginning of the year has now hit it's peak and now everyone is getting well...like COSub said it's too bad we have a job where we pray for our teachers to get sick, I kinda feel like a vulture. That's why I don't mind to take 1/2 days..anything is better than nothing!!! Good luck us all! BTW...What county are you in??? I'm in FL too, hopefully we are not competitors?!?!?
Buttascotch

Buttascotch

Old 09-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Lol, I'm in Hillsborough county. What county are you in?

blanche46

Old 09-15-2009, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hernando...Whew!!! No wonder we don't have a 1/2 day tomorrow, they took away all our 1/2 days!

vocalstudent

Sems?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know I have gotten jobs online during and not during callout...I haven't figured it all out yet but if I'm at home relaxing I may as well look up stuff.
vocalstudent is offline   Reply With Quote