Help

Substitute Teachers

Oh, boy! did I ever screw up :(

>

COSub

Oh, boy! did I ever screw up :(
Old 09-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Subbing in SPEd in middle school reading, had a disruptive student who got sent out to cool down. Of course I lost my bearings during the assignment and did only 1 question out of 10 for the class. ( Mistake #1)

Started to play games, so far so good. Start to write team names on the board only it's NOT the board, it's some special whiteboard that's used for the projector or was it a smart board? Anyway, yikes the dry erase marker doesn't come off. Oh, joy! (Mistake #2)

Kids don't get to eat lunch until 1:19 and Sped teacher bribes them with candy. Forgot the candy. (Mistake #3)

They will NEVER invite me back.

COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

don't be so hard on yourself......
Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

since you don't go into to much detail...all I can say is relax...

1. is there another teacher co-teacher) to help you?
2. was this in an inclusive classroom? pull out?
3. were you the only teacher there?
4. is this your first sped sub job?

Don't sweat the small stuff like forgetting candy...unless the teacher has a stash somewhere; you're not expected to bring it in.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Dont worry about mistake #2
Old 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The whiteboard marker will come off the Smartboard. The Smartboard rep told us last year not to worry if a substitute does this to the board because it comes off easily w/the Expo or whiteboard cleaners.

Regarding mistake #3: Were you expected to give candy to them? It's not something that subs typically carry with them. Forget about it.

If everyone is still in one piece by the end of the day, then you did your job. You're human and had a bad day.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, this was my first time subbing for SPEd and..
Yes, I was the only teacher and...
Yes, this was an inclusive classroom...
and NO, there was not another teacher around they were helping to calm down the boy who did not want a sub.

But truly, everyone was alive and after the last class where I was a TA in a mainstream class with a few SPEd students mingled in the teacher said, "Can I get your info, I'm always looking for a good sub.

I wrote the OP while still at the school, I was mortified. But after getting home and processing with a few teacher friends, I'm breathing easier.
COSub is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

lol
Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are NOT the first teacher to write w/ expo on the smart board or Iboard. It happens all the time in our dist. It is not ruined. The janitor will have stuff to take it off. I know my first time as a para me and another para were working w/ small group and she wrote on the wipe board w/ permanent marker. Turns otu if you write over it w/ expo and get it really wet it will wipe off w/ water if you do it quick. lol

I am very curious why the makers of those special boards didn't make htem wipe boards too. Very inefficient use of space if you ask me. tsk tsk on them.

Hermione_S

Hermione_S

the job is challenging
Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel for you and have felt that way many times. You sound like you are very hard on yourself. I am the same way. However...
This is my second season at subbing and from what I've gathered about the whole thing is this:
At the end of the day, there are few people in this world (if any) who are able to walk into a totally foreign situation such as the one we walk into when we sub - a classroom where you don't know where materials are, don't know what the established rules are of both the classroom and the school, don't know the children and their backgrounds, their strengths and challenges - PLUS having to get your head wrapped around several lesson plans (which includes but is not limited to determining WHAT is supposed to be taught, how to get those ideas across verbally, visually, etc, the best logistics to be used to convey the ideas to the 22 strangers in front of you, relevant examples, and creative ways to make the lesson come alive and hold their interest), having to negotiate cranky administrators who could care less about treating you nicely because you might not be back, etc. etc. Who could "handle" all of these issues without making mistakes? Yes, you will have good days where the amount of mistakes you make it minimal, and you will have worse days, but the potential is always there to make mistakes simply because of the hazards of the job.

Consider the curricula alone. How many days of subbing in one's lifetime would it take to become familiar with all the possible lessons that you may end up having to teach on any given day? You have about 30 minutes to get the lesson in your head and then it is on to the next set of lessons the next day for the next class...

Sorry for ranting and raving, but it's all true.

My philosophy is slowly being reshaped into one where I think if I make 3 mistakes that day, I'm doing pretty well!
I've met subs who have been doing this for 10 years and although they don't get bent out of shape as much as me, they have told me that they still make mistakes. I've seen them in action and they make it look easy because they are so relaxed about it. It's almost like they accept the fact that the potential is there to make mistakes so they just do their best and don't worry about it?

I have worked in many different industries over the last 15 years or so. Subbing is by far, the most challenging job I've undertaken - emotionally and intellectually, and has the most diverse range of responsibilities, requires the most diverse skill-set, and at the same time offers the LEAST amount of training and orientation needed to do the job successfully.

I guess if schools want robots, maybe they should look into that area for their subbing needs.
Hermione

MikeRocode

Cleaning the SmartBoard
Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"...some special whiteboard that's used for the projector or was it a smart board? Anyway, yikes the dry erase marker doesn't come off."

Germicidal wipes contain IPA and will remove dryerase markers on SmartBoards. I know because I did it...today!
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote