Substitute Teachers

Beligerence and mocking in art

>

joeo

joeo

Beligerence and mocking in art
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a seasoned art teacher but have had this student in middle school in my art class, who from the first day of the year, comes in and mocks everything I'm teaching. I also have administrators who just send him back to my class when I call them to remove him! I feel I have no support from administrators. I already called up the parent, who is leaving for jail in about a week. So this kid comes into my class and disrupts with mocking comments, doesn't pay attention to my asking him to stop and gets the rest of the class to laugh at everything he says while I'm waiting for an administrator to remove him. They take him away for 2 minutes then bring him back for more damage. The student is special education in a class with about 7 other special education eighth grade boys and then the rest of the class is just immature 8th grade boys who pick up on the "ring leader's" cues and mock.
The first class this child left my class mocking my rules by reading them out loud while he SLOWLY left my class. I immediately wrote him up and called the father. The next class he was quite, until I started reading a book and then he mocked the book by making pretend to be crying, to much of the entertainment of the class. The third class he came in late , took off his sneaker (after I asked him to stop) and showed it to the whole class. I quietly went over to the phone and called the administrators. He continued with his sneaker, I walked over to him and said did he realize he was being rude and he said Yep- that's me, I'm the worst in the world and laughed.
When the administrators finally came, he had pulled rubber off of his sneaker and was twirling it around almost hitting other students with it... The administrators took him out for just about 2 minutes and put him right back into the class!!! He then said he's going to the bathroom, I said he couldn't go yet because someone else is out and he just got up and said he's going and walked out.
Whew! I also had another special education boy in the class arguing with me and other boys who were just horsing around while I was trying to discipline the one boy.
Any suggestions on how to cope with a belligerent and mocking student who sees no value (and neither does the administration- I'm just a babysitter to them) in art??

me2teach

me2teach

what about...
Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the special ed. teacher? where is she/he? Our learning support teachers are scheduled to come into the class with these kids. It helps tremendously. Although support from your Admin would be nice! Have you talked to Admin? what are the reasons they send him back in?
It doesn't take much for MS boys to get off track. Can you give him a detention or in school? This will end up getting you down, your health, attitude.
Does he like anything in art? Can you gear the lesson to something he is interested in?
Drawing cars, motorcycles, those strange japanese cartoons?
And his dad's going to jail? Does he have family to stay with? Sounds like he could head down the same road as dad, unfortunately.
I feel your angst. I'm music and some kids just don't care. Luckily our admin. is supportive.
Let us know what's up with this kiddo.
I hope I've helped somewhat.
subczy

subczy

wow
Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So can you get him interested in other forms of art? Sort of an alternative assignment? Perhaps jailhouse art and crafts and what it means and how it evolved. Or graffiti. Something he might relate too a bit more and is out of the box? Just an idea. Clearly he has leadership qualities and he desperately needs attention. And my goodness his home life leaves things to be desired. I'd try to get him on my side and interested in some form of art. Find out what in art shocks him or is worthy of his attention and maybe let him go w/ that. I know that you can't do that w/ all the kids, but perhaps b/c he is special ed having a diff. assignment would be acceptable? Or perhaps even just save this idea for when/if he gets suspended and has to do assignments.

blueheron

The special education
Old 09-19-2009, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

teacher was probably busy with the students she was currently teaching. This was a matter of the admin not supporting the substitute teacher and letting a misbehaving student special education or otherwise, get by with his behavior.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote