Help

Substitute Teachers

What the....?

>

aly7123

What the....?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So a while back I posted about how I wasn't offered back my permanent sub job for no reason other than the principal "thought" I had gotten a job elsewhere. Then I posted about how I was given my job back after getting a few important people involved. Well, now my job was taken away from me again...for no reason yet again.

The new superintendent decided he wanted to interview for the permanent sub position. I was given an interview, which I feel I did well at...I was a little nervous, but everything went okay. Well, at the end of the day, I get called to the office. The superintendent comes in, calls me by the wrong name, and then asks me to come into the principal's office. There, he tells me it was a difficult decision but he picked two other people to be permanent subs.

Now, there were three other people interviewing. The other three had just graduated from college and have no teaching experience except for student teaching. I was the only one that had experience. I've been at the district for four years, with the last two being as a permanent sub. I know all the teachers and the majority of the students. I've been to every in-service the past couple of years. I'm familiar with all the textbooks they use, and I know the school policies and procedures like the back of my hand. I always get good reviews from the teachers I sub for, and I make myself useful when there is no teacher out for me to cover. However, one of the candidates had something over me...he's engaged to the assistant principal's cousin.

I'm sorry but that does not make someone a good teacher! This guy student taught in sixth grade last year, gave problems about having to go to kindergarten for half of his assignment and ended up going there for only 2 weeks when the college forced him to, and was way too touchy-feely with the sixth grade girls...enough so that other teachers were talking about it. I heard him saying that one of the sixth grade girls was the kind of girl he'd like for his girlfriend! Also, I witnessed him bullying a sixth grade student who wasn't really athletic when he tried to play basketball with him at the after-school program. He basically chased him away and told him to go play somewhere else. He's also very conceited and made rude comments about a friend of mine who was having some family problems...that just lowered my opinion of him even more. This is not the kind of person I'd want around my children everyday. I guess that doesn't matter though when you're buddy-buddy with the assistant principal.

I'm sorry...I'm rambling...but this is so ridiculous. I worked so hard to get my job back this year and then it gets taken away from me by some pedophile-in-training! They'll see when he's on the news because of inappropriate contact with children...it won't only make him look bad, but the school will look back too for hiring him.

I'm just so sick of being passed over because I don't happen to be related to anyone important in the district. I've never done anything to warrant a dismissal and I've always had good reviews. If the principal would have actually left his office and observed me teaching, I'm sure he would have been impressed. But he's too worried if kids are breaking the dress code by wearing cargo pants to do that.

Ugh, maybe I should just move far away from here.

aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

sorry you are feeling
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

this way, but this sort of thing really does happen in our schools. I interviewed for an opening, had years in the district doing this and that including student teaching and was passed over for a young girl. I felt like moving as well. I don't have any words of wisdom for you except to remember that this too shall pass. Can you interview for a position of your own in the Spring? Please don't give up.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

ccarlton

unfair
Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so sorry that this happened to. To have your job taken away not once, but twice for no reason. I would be extremely upset too if I was in your situation. Normally, I have a hard time looking at the positive side of things, but maybe this happening means that there's a job out there with your name on it that's the perfect situation for you, and where you will be valued.
ccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

welcome to the world of subbing...we are in a parallel universe of our own...we are the ones to be blamed when their young ones get hurt; if they feel slighted by us; if we raise our voice; if we leave the room dirty; if a teacher/princ./admin. didn't like the way we look...

they don't have to give you a reason for not being hired..remember you are not a teacher with union to back you up

I've had my share of being "let go" for stupid/no reason at all..the only thing they ever told me was that I am at "at will employee" meaning---depending on which way they fart that's the way they make their decisions about who becomes a permament sub
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
LynneLC

LynneLC

Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I recall your previous posts and can certainly understand your frustration. They told you that you have the job and then changed their minds? That's awful. Would you consider talking to Human Resources about it? It sounds like you have much better qualifications for the job than the person they hired. Are you female? Interesting that they gave the job to a male candidate with no experience other than student teaching vs. a female who has been doing the job for two years, plus two years of experience prior to that.

I would caution you about the comments re: a pedophile-in-training and potentially seeing the guy on the news some day. You never know who is reading these boards... The other teachers, instead of commenting about his "touch-feely" behavior to others, should talk to him in person with their concerns, or possibly to the V.P. or Principal.

Good luck.

aly7123

Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes I am a female and there were two permanent sub positions available and both of them went to a male with no experience...I'm guessing they want more male teachers in the elementary school but that's still no excuse for this nonsense.

I realize now that I probably shouldn't have said some of that stuff about the guy who stole my job...I was just so angry and frustrated and just letting everything out.

I just feel so betrayed and stepped on by a school district I stayed loyal to for almost four years (I did some subbing at other schools when I was right out of college). I guess I was thinking I would get past all the nepotism with my qualifications and wonderful reviews...I mean I had numerous teachers going in to tell the principal what an amazing job I do. But I guess this school is just like all the others unfortunately.
aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

digits

Males have advantages in getting hired
Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Because the teaching profession is predominantly female, males have an advantage in getting hired. At least one researcher, whose test is used to determine possible candidates for urban school districts, seems very much opposed to the traditional female teacher candidate in his writing. I was appalled reading his book and seeing the negative things he said about female teachers and colleges of education. If your district follows his thinking, then you are at a disadvantage if you are female .... I don't think it's fair, but I think it's the way things are in many districts.
digits is offline   Reply With Quote
sub4years

sub4years

Not always the case
Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a male and I have not had any luck in getting a teaching job. I have been trying for 3 years. I really don't think it has anything to do with gender. It has gotten to the point where I am deciding on going into another career.