Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Stress relief

>

Teddi9192

Stress relief
Old 04-30-2019, 07:26 PM

I need to figure out some stress relief (other than quitting my job and becoming a hermit). I just got some medical tests back that show my stress levels are playing havoc on my health. Now Iím stressed about being stressed.

Me time is a hard commodity to come up with. Iíve been trying but with active kids and a busy life...

I am at a point that Iím having a hard time enjoying my hobbies because I should be doing _______. Therapy is probably out too as I live in a rural area and Iím looking at 45 minutes each way just to get there.

Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 PM

For me, it's always been cardio. I think you've had shoulder injury/surgery? Sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else. Coming back after a hiatus is hard.

And, I know I'm a broken record, but Natural Calm. Search this board for about 847457647 threads about it. It's an all natural miracle.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 04-30-2019, 07:34 PM

Teddi, if you think counseling could be helpful, 45 mins travel time is worth it. I drive 60 mins, and somehow it all evens out.

Can you look at the parts that make up the whole of your life and see which part gives you the most stress? Then brainstorm ways to deal with that. It might be the time something takes, or the amount of work involved for little return, or any number of things.

Are your kids old enough to be more helpful? Teach them what you want them to do. Could you use your crockpot more often -- would that help?

Teaching is stressful. It just is. I hope you find some good ways to cope.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Zia
Old 04-30-2019, 07:38 PM

You are right. I was an avid workout person. Shoulder surgeries, arthritis and eye issues have sidelined that part of my life.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 PM

And stress piled up after not being able to exercise? I know it would sink me deep. Can you find a trainer who can devise workouts with modifications to suit your needs?

I feel for you. <3

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Exercise
Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 AM

My last year in teaching I had a difficult class and a lot of stress and pressure from the job in general. I joined a gym and discovered I really enjoyed spinning. I could get on that bike and for 4 minutes, leave it all behind.

I also enjoyed running. Getting outdoors and enjoying the scenery was a great stress reliever. Walking accomplishes the same thing.

I'm sorry you are feeling stressed.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Take care of you
Old 05-01-2019, 02:22 AM

Taking care of yourself is the best stress reliever. Make a point to be happy. Not saying you do this, but too many of us focus on the negatives in our lives instead of the positives. Get the right amount of sleep. Eat the right foods. Exercise. Take care of yourself spiritually. It's very true that these things affect our stress levels. I am one who didn't see the importance of such things when I was younger and it's like recovering from a train wreck to fix it. As I address each issue, things really do get better.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 AM

Sorry you're so stressed! Sharing some things that have helped me, feel free to discard anything that doesn't work for you.

-Learning to say "no" to things (even some good things!) and take down time when I need it. I know this must be harder with kids, but kids also need down time and don't need to be going all the time either so maybe it'll help them overall as well?

-Walking in nature. Even just around the block, but I also have some nature trails not too far from me, and I bought year pass to the local botanical gardens.

-Look up deep breathing techniques or progressive muscle relaxation.

-I do therapy online with Betterhelp. Online therapy in general has mixed reviews (and it can be pricey since it doesn't go through insurance, but they do have discounts you can get for financial reasons), but I've found a therapist on there that I really click with, and it's been really, really helpful for me.

-Choose a day of the week (or more) that barring a legitimately unavoidable event, you leave school as soon as your contract time ends and don't take work home with you. Don't schedule parent conferences or meetings with colleagues on that day either (unless it's during contract hours).

-Massage!

-Simplify meals where possible. Eat more fresh fruit and veggies (hard for me).

-Find a friend/friends who you can talk to about your stressors.

I hope you're able to find some ways to de-stress, whether it's these or something else!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-01-2019, 05:51 AM

I understand and think thereís so much good advice here. I strongly support:
*walking (I walk 5+ miles every dayóbeing outdoors is uplifting for me, and I really do stop to smell the roses)
*stretching exercises (these are new for me and fabulous stress releasers)
*eating well (I am not good at this, but it does help)
*sleeping (for me what works is no naps and 7 hours at night)
*give yourself credit for what you do well (Iím very self-critical and Iím trying to learn itís okay to give myself a private pat on the back occasionally)
*as you drift off to sleep at night, ask yourself what went well that day

So hard. Iím thinking of you, Teddi.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-01-2019, 06:19 AM

Teddi, Iím sorry for posting twice, but Iíve been thinking about your question a lot. In addition to my more traditional list, I really truly with all my heart believe that the biggest stress reliever is friendship. Hold dear the friends who care about you. Allow them to comfort you. Friends who really see you, who understand you and love you for who you are, are soul savers.

Please know Iím not discounting the love of family, itís just that my family can take me for granted while friends often see the big picture and manage to appreciate me.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 AM

If therapy is something you would like to try I know there is a big push to use technology in the that field. There are companies that do therapy over computers and skype sessions I believe.
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Natural Calm
Old 05-01-2019, 01:25 PM

I looked it up on Amazon but I'm not sure which one I should get. Any advice?
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

stress relief
Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 PM

I know you said "me time" is hard to come up with, but the kids have to go to bed sometime. Some things that work for me:

*long walks in the evening
*hot bubble bath with soft or no music playing
*massage
*sit on back porch with cup of hot tea w/ honey
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 05-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Lots of good advice! The only thing I can add that has helped me is something I read that said, "there are no stressful situations, just stressful thoughts about those situations". This made me become more conscious of my thoughts when I was feeling stressed. If I was struggling to get dinner ready after a long day at work, my thoughts might contain some resentment about having to cook for everyone, about the food not being as healthy as I wanted it to be, or about what a lousy cook I am. If I stop for a minute and look a bit more objectively at the situation, I can make something simple like sandwiches, ask for help from another family member, or just tell myself I am doing the best I can and that's good enough. It's just dinner! That helps me realize I am putting stress on myself that I can remove. As for not having time to do your hobbies, you might just need to mark time for yourself on your calendar and make it non-negotiable. Once you do this a few times, you will feel so much better, it will become easier to do. Sometimes other things won't get done, but oh well! Sometimes my bathrooms don't get cleaned or the dog doesn't get a walk, but I feel so much better when I take time for myself. And I don't always do this yet. I am finding it takes a lot of practice when you have put yourself last for a long time. Remember, you are worth it!
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-01-2019, 07:39 PM

I have a ton of stress too and in addition to taking Lexapro daily and Klonopin as needed, I....

bicycle for an hour a day (I really enjoy it and it allows me to clear my head)
Do strength training at the gym 3x per week
Swim
Go to the beach
Get a pedicure
Call a friend
Walk around the block
Read
Massage

You do sound a lot like me so I can relate. I just renewed a library book today for the third time because I am always feeling like I need to accomplish a task before I can read my book. I agree with putting it on your calendar and making it a priority. Make it a reward for getting something else done - that one works best for me.

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote