Help

Career Decisions

Possible move

>

newbie17

Possible move
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. This is my 3rd year teaching and the first in my current position teaching special ed resource. Ultimately I want to be in the regular classroom and this is no secret around my school.

Here is the problem. Due to health issues my principal is retiring unexpectedly at the end of the year. He is a wonderful and supportive admin and I can't imagine working for anyone else, but I've heard great things about my incoming boss as well. The thing is I want to stay in my current grade level and the outgoing P is willing to transfer me if a position opens, which may not happen next year, but due to retirements will definitely be happening the following year. I was willing to hang on in resource for one more year knowing I'd have a great shot at the regular classroom after that, but now that I have a new boss coming in I'm worried I'll be stuck in sped forever.

Very soon there will be a regular classroom opening in the grade level above mine which I'm considering going for. That would take me away from my amazing coworkers, put me with this current class (from #@!!) for another year, but would get me out of sped.

I'm very good at my resource job and we all know good sped teachers are few and far between. I'm concerned the new P will see the progress I make with my students and will want to pigeonhole me in sped. We have a huge group of resource kids in this class and the up coming few classes aren't any smaller. I know if I stay I'll burn out, but I'd be giving up a lot by moving up to the next grade level. My coworkers at this grade level are like a family. The other grade level is full of people that are much more serious, so I'm not sure I'd fit in. I'm just very confused about what move, if any, I should make. Anyone have any advice?

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-29-2018, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ask your outgoing P for a letter of rec (and get updated letters from other coworkers too). Talk to your P about moving into the position in the grade level above yours. You could always change grade levels next year when the position opens up in your current grade level. IMO, that would be significantly easier than trying to get the new P to switch you from sped to gen ed next year.

While you're doing all this, I wouldn't count on getting the gen ed position at your current school. Use your letters of rec to apply to internal positions at other schools within your district and apply for positions in other districts you'd be willing to work in as well. If you get an offer from another district, you can also use that as leverage to move positions at your current school.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote