Help

Career Decisions

I hate my administrator!

>

Wanderlusty

I hate my administrator!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My principal hates me and gets on my behind all the time. I can't get any slack from him. I took a day off for a doctor's appointment, and he writes this:

"I don't need to know the details of the appointment. However, does it need to be all day?

You will have parents in your room at 8:15 tomorrow. It will be odd to not have you present. Also, this is your opportunity to meet with the math support. As this has been on the calendar all year, I am hoping you can work around the doctor appt.

I don't mean to be unreasonable. On one hand, most doctor's appts are about an hour. It's an important day at school in terms of the parents and teachers' professional growth. It seems there is a compromise. At the same time, if you are having a procedure done, I can see that that would take more time.

I will ask that you do what you can, and I will make the rest work.

Not sure when this appt was scheduled. It would have been nice to know before now and it would have been nice to hear from you directly."

He tried to have me fired my 2nd year because of little things like being a few minutes late to duty or having my cellphone out in the open. I'm leaving the school by the end of the year because of this person. He won't be an administrator by the end of this year as well, but he has made my experience at this school so toxic. Of course, as a teacher, I have no power to complain or rebel. I just have to take it or leave. I am so tired of administrators that do nothing to support or believe in their teachers.

Does anyone else have poor experiences with administrators that make them want to quit teaching? I feel alone in this matter and picked on for every little detail.

Last edited by Wanderlusty; 01-08-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Wanderlusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

My Two Cents
Old 01-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. Trying to have you fired over "little things" does seem a bit over the top. However, if everyone is a few minutes late to duty, the whole system falls apart. And if you know a rule is in place about cell phone use, it's best to follow it.

2. I would take this message down if Mark is a name of an actual person and can be traced back to you.

3. If this meeting has been on the calendar all year and you don't need to take the full day for you appointment, then don't. If it is a procedure that is urgent and will take all day, simply tell your administrator that. You don't have to give more detail than that.
Teach4 is online now   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 01-08-2018, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know the whole history but that email seems very reasonable. I don't think it's out of line to politely ask if you are able to be there and to remind you of calendar items.

Obviously, Dr appts are often at the mercy of what's available and the level of urgency. If it can't be moved and needs the whole day, then it sounds like he will understand without you providing details.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote