Career Decisions

Leaving and letters of reference?

>

New/Confused

New/Confused

Leaving and letters of reference?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher in a large district, and am hoping to resign and find a new job for next year. I miss teaching middle schoolers (currently with 10th grade), and the district I'm in is very strict on what we can teach, so I don't feel like I'm best serving my students. These factors aren't likely to change, so I'm looking to find a new school that is a better fit. Because it is my first year, I'm not sure how this whole process works. I knew how to get my first job-- my teacher ed program made me very prepared for that-- but I don't know how to go about leaving one in pursuit of another! So I'm in search of some advice...
When applying for new positions, should I have a letter of reference from someone in my current school? Something tells me I should, but I don't feel like its appropriate to ask my admin (or even tell them before I'm a finalist for a position), and my head of department has never seen me teach. Is it okay for my references to come from student teaching/college if I've only taught for one year, or is that frowned upon? Who else could I consider asking, or should I ask admin?

WGReading

Old 01-17-2018, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district if you are applying for job, they request 3 references and specify that one must be a supervisor. The other two are recommended to be professional references by people who have knowledge of your professional work. As someone who sits on interview committees, the strongest candidates references are their principal/supervisor who observes you and co-worker team members that you would have collaborated with, like if you have a PLC or a grade level or content team. I have seen lots of people on PT talk about physical recommendation letters but where I work, those are not considered as important as having people who will answer the phone and talk about your teaching/answer questions.

In terms of telling your admin, I would personally wait until you have interviewed before saying anything. Usually the person interviewing you would let you know if they are going to be checking references. Especially if you are considering keeping your current job in the event that you don't find something else. That way if nothing pans out, things aren't weird. If you have to ask for a written letter, then I guess you have to do that - I think having a supervisor letter is important.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote