Help

Career Decisions

Maybe you guys can help...

>

Evabop

Maybe you guys can help...
Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...because my state doesn't seem to care. I really do not know what to do, and have been searching for the answer to my dilemma for many years. It's kind of a long story, so I am going to try to break it down:
- Selected to be in the Gifted Internship Program my senior year of high school, in which I worked alongside a teacher two hours a week.
- Received the HOPE scholarship, and joined my community college, earning and AS in Science.
- Using the HOPE, immediately joined a four year university with an amazing College of Education. I completed ALL of my courses for the ECE program, and scored well on the PRAXIS II. My only obstacle was Student Teaching, and six weeks into my Student Teaching, financial aid informed me that this last class was not being paid for...that I had "run out" of the HOPE scholarship.
- With no way to pay for this last class, I had to quit and become a waitress.
- Six years later, I earned two online degrees. I have to work, so the online programs were my only option. I earned a BA in Education with concentration in Social Sciences, and an MA in Early Childhood Education.
- My GPA grew as I progressed through my online education, as my passion for teaching grew. My dream to be a second grade teacher evolved into a preschool teacher. Those first five years are the MOST important years to the whole child's development.
- I am an awesome Lead GA Pre-K teacher, however, GA will not certify me without going back to school for a BS in ECE. I would have to go through college courses again, the ones I have already taken twice, and some classes I had to take three times. I would also have to complete an internship, which is out of the question. I have to work to survive.
I have been teaching for over sixteen years, and the last five of those years have been in the Pre-K classroom. I love what I do, my parents are very happy, my children are having fun as they learn, and my bosses adore me. Many other states would recognize my education and experience by granting me a teacher certification, but not Georgia. Anyway, I've been frustrated about this for so long, and I've asked so many colleges in my state for help. Every phone call or email always ended in disappointment. So...if any of you guys have any advice or ideas, please share.

Evabop is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

an out of the box idea
Old 04-05-2018, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is there a possibility of a neighboring state college or university accepting most to all of your classes and you taking a semester in residence to complete your certification? Preferably a state with reciprocity with Georgia, so a credential earned in one state is acceptable to the other with some fees paid. You might move for a year or so to accomplish your dream.

The other idea is to work as a graduate assistant with fees paid by a university combined with some student loans. You could get loans, even without an assistantship. I do grant that repaying loans can take a long time.There are loan programs that forgive some or all of the money for those who teach in at risk schools.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote