Opening...
Old 05-21-2020, 06:56 AM

CDC guidelines...

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 05-21-2020, 06:58 AM

That's going to be a trying, challenging thing and the younger the kids, the harder it will be.

For all those starting back at school this fall, I wish you the best!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-21-2020, 07:08 AM

I can see teachers playing custodian roles so much there will be little time for teaching in California. My classroom was hardly ever cleaned before the pandemic. Children will not be getting the full social experience in school and very little teaching will get done. What a mess.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

BettyAnna

Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 AM

I donít see how this will work. I canít socially distance little ones and thereís no way little ones are going to keep masks on all day. How do you keep them from touching each other and you? How do you keep bathrooms clean? We donít have enough maintenance staff to keep up with the cleaning and disinfecting.
BettyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

So....
Old 05-21-2020, 07:11 AM

There won't be any recess, lunch in cafeteria, or switching classes or teachers. I'm wondering how teachers will get a bathroom break.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 AM

This isn't feasible at all. What moron(s) thought it would work?
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 AM

Did any of the people who came up with these guidelines ever work in a school, see a classroom, or a school bus?

School bus. One child per seat and skip seats. How many students will fit in that bus? Extra runs or extra buses? Increased cost?

Same children, same staff, all day. No switching groups of teachers. How does that work in high school with the variety of classes and levels? How does that work in elementary for specials?

Desks six feet apart. How big do they think these rooms are?
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 05-21-2020, 07:21 AM

This is going to be so hard! My old school had 2 sinks in the bathrooms, and one sink in each room. I think handwashing is going to take an hour, just for one round. I can't imagine teaching Kindergarten or even first grade with the kids in desks all day, or eating lunch with my class every day. My mother attended and taught in one room schoolhouses, kids at desks except for recess, but those were different kids and there was no Kindergarten. Good luck doesn't even sound like the right thing to say. So sorry it's come to this.
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 05-21-2020, 07:26 AM

This is a guidleine. And let's remember the CDS isn't in a classroom. Thank heavens.

This list is ridiculous. There is NO way this would work. It's up to individual District's to decide what to do anyways.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Oh no!
Old 05-21-2020, 07:31 AM

I can see that it will help to not spread the virus. But what about the mental health of students staying in the same room all day long? There will have to be some creative brain breaks to keep them from going insane.

Six feet apart for desks? That means everyone is not attending school every day right?

Kids have to have recess. Maybe no playground equipment but they need a break, fresh air, sunshine and some exercise. Where I taught the last 20 years of my career we always had grade levels out at different times of days. Maybe there could be a grade level time to be outside and different classes go to different areas if the school yard if it is big enough. If nothing else they could do exercises six feet apart. Or jump rope six feet apart. March in place even.

Lunch in the classroom does not sound like fun. And no hot lunches. Poor kids. In Texas teachers get a duty free lunch. That means they need someone to take the classes for all teachers on lunch.

I can understand not crowding the buses. That means more buses right? Where does the money come from? This alone is a BIG problem.

I am so glad I am retired but I do feel for everyone still in the education field. I wish you all the best.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 AM

I’ve never been so happy to be retired (and you know I love retirement to begin with). I am so so so sorry for those of you still working. Notice I say working and not teaching? That’s because, even though this list will be revised many times, it sounds to me like we will no longer be helping students learn, we will be helping them live individually in a group so that their parents can go to work. Heartbreaking.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Impossible
Old 05-21-2020, 07:34 AM

Hopefully just guidelines that will be drastically revised!

A former student of mine, now in charge of transportation in a huge district, says that would mean 11 kids on a bus.

I hope they include teachers in working on better guidelines!
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 AM

Hereís an article about it that goes into a little more detail.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...ore-reopening/

Also, itís guidelines not rules. Each district will make their own decisions.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 05-21-2020, 07:51 AM

There are so many items on that list that absolutely won't work or be economically feasible for our tiny rural district. The extra bussing alone would put us under.

The one way traffic in the hall? Our building is old and long. We only have 1 real hallway. I guess we will have to go outside and walk around the building to get back to where we started every time we go somewhere!

Im more concerned with the lack of ventilation in our rooms and bathrooms. We have wall mounted air conditioning units and and an old hot water boiler system for heat. There is no way to increase ventilation unless we leave the windows and doors open and run electric fans. The bathroom is small and tightly packed with no exhaust or air exchange fan of any kind. (It gets funky in there by the end of a school day) This is the only bathroom for 115 student and 25 teachers/staff. For these reasons I would be highly suprised and very uncomfortable if we start school in the fall.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 AM

It does not seem practical to me for so many reasons. I'm happy to be retired, so I don't have to worry about it. I feel for all of you that will be navigating this situation.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Welp
Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 AM

There goes elementary school as we know it. Iíve taught K - 3 in a charter school with small class sizes to begin with and this will not work. So much of elementary school is the social aspect: groupings, think-pair-share, communal supplies, etc. Not to mention recess and specials, bathrooms, etc.

I realize these are guidelines, however....Honestly, if this was the new norm Iíd seriously consider homeschooling and have my child engage in social aspects with peers outside of school where I could decide/supervise.

Kudos to all of you that are returning to teach. Iím at home now with my son and although I miss the classroom and teaching Iím not sure Iíd want to do this right now.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 05-21-2020, 08:15 AM

The word/phrases:
"frequently"
"if possible"
"develop a schedule"

ALL of those phrases are so vague, leaving it up to "who knows" to decide/ monitor the guidelines. I imagine they were put there on purpose, just to get the school opened.

"develop a schedule" -with this wording, a district could even make their bathroom cleaning schedule down to 1 time a week and still be following the CDS guidelines of "making a schedule." That phrase doesn't assure anything to protect children/ adults in a school setting.

"If possible"-that phrase excuses a district of doing that particular guideline. Districts could just say: Oh, that's not possible, so we won't do that."

It seems like each and every school would have to hire a lot more people, from teachers to janitors. With public school funding, that's not going to happen.

These guidelines do very little to protect the children and adults in a school setting.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Wow
Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 AM

Even if my school can manage alternate days to be able to do social distancing, there is no way we could make the buses work. We have enough students who depend on the buses that we would have to cancel in-person school.

Although we have been able to somewhat work around equity issues by providing chromebooks or paper packets, not providing transportation is not an option in my rural district where public transportation is nonexistent.

And even begore the pandemic, we couldn't find enough bus drivers for our existing routes.

Wow.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 05-21-2020, 08:24 AM

OK Deep breath. These are guidelines. They will be looked at and adapted as needed. We don't need to stress out about how we can't do this in our individual schools. Some states will make decisions at the state level. Our state superintendent said that it will be up to each school district to decide when and how to open the school sites.

What will be considered is how to maintain the safest possible physical environment and at the same time protect the district from lawsuits.

Unless you are an upper level district employee or a school board member you most likely will not be part of the planning process. Once the plans are made, then you may be included to brainstorm how to implement the plans. Common sense tells me that there will be a combination of onsite and distance learning because there is not enough space or money to do full onsite.

In my county we have a three page long protocol that needs to be completed to inform the public health department how a business, warehouse or institution is going to meet required components prior to scheduling an opening date. I am working on mine now to plan for opening my tutoring center. As an informal survey, most of my parents tell me they will not send their kids back to school until a vaccine is in place.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-21-2020, 09:43 AM

Those arenít exactly what the CDC had on their guidelines.

For instance, the CDC document says that nobody under 2 should wear a mask, and this says that people over 2 should wear a mask. Those are not the same thing.

These are someoneís interpretation of the CDC guidelines.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 AM

The problem is we canít have it both ways. I want everyone to be safe at school, with low risk of contracting the virus. But the things we would have to do to make that possible go against everything we know about how teaching works, how kids behave, and how weíve always taught. Itís an impossible situation. Really, we either have to go back to school with some small modifications (NOT the way those CDC recommendations sound) but basically teaching like we always have, OR we have to continue with distance learning.

Teaching and learning cannot realistically happen as described in those guidelines. The whole day will be spent monitoring health and behavior to control the environment. On the other hand, if we donít do all (most) of those recommendations, the environment becomes much riskier (which it may be even with those changes). There is still a high probability of spreading the virus within schools.

So we are stuck between two unrealistic options. I donít know what the answer is. No one does. I only know for me, that is why Iím considering homeschooling (as I mentioned in another post). I canít control the situation for everyone but I can for my own family.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-21-2020, 11:12 AM

All of this is why I am spending the summer desperately seeking a work at home job. I pray that I can find one to supplement my online English teaching job.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

Old 05-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Yeah, there is no way for our division either. Our school is terribly ventilated. Also, we just got an e-mail from the superintendent saying that he can't answer questions right now about if our pay will be different if we have a delayed start. I'm hoping they tell us in advance, considering I've only saved up enough for the month we don't get paid!
tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

These are not CDC guidelines
Old 05-21-2020, 12:52 PM

These are Quirkymommas interpretation.

CDC guidelines
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...are/index.html
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-21-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Those aren’t exactly what the CDC had on their guidelines.

For instance, the CDC document says that nobody under 2 should wear a mask, and this says that people over 2 should wear a mask. Those are not the same thing.

These are someone’s interpretation of the CDC guidelines.
. Teachers this morning were arguing with me about that. When I look at the guidelines the words "if feasible" accompany many of these items - which to me changes things considerable.

From the guidelines:
Quote:
Face coverings should be worn by staff and students (particularly older students) as feasible, and are most essential in times when physical distancing is difficult.
Quote:
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces (e.g., playground equipment, door handles, sink handles, drinking fountains) within the school and on school buses at least daily or between use as much as possible.
Quote:
Ensure adequate supplies to minimize sharing of high touch materials to the extent possible (e.g., assigning each student their own art supplies, equipment) or limit use of supplies and equipment by one group of children at a time and clean and disinfect between use.
Quote:
Space seating/desks at least 6 feet apart when feasible.
Quote:
Create distance between children on school buses (g., seat children one child per row, skip rows) when possible.
Quote:
Have children bring their own meals as feasible, or serve individually plated meals in classrooms instead of in a communal dining hall or cafeteria,
It definitely is going to change some things... but...
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Greyhound Girl
Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
This isn't feasible at all. What moron(s) thought it would work?
People who have never taught and have NO clue what goes on in a classroom.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 05-21-2020, 02:13 PM

Variations of this have been making the rounds this past 24 hours, but the actual guidelines donít really look like this. Why must people spin things? Did they never learn to paraphrase? Do they just need the extra attention that comes with controversy? Itís maddening.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Gerry Brooks
Old 05-21-2020, 03:30 PM

He made a video addressing these guidelines. As usual, he is spot on with his analysis.

But the problem is that by putting out these guidelines, even with the "if feasible" idea, parents will expect that schools treat these guidelines as a mandate. Those guidelines are utopian.
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-21-2020, 04:15 PM

GUIDELINES, not mandates.

If you read the actual CDC guidelines, it is littered with "where feasible," "if possible," "encouraged," etc. and isn't even called "Guidelines." It's called "Considerations for Schools." https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...e/schools.html

Schools can determine, in collaboration with state and local health officials to the extent possible, whether and how to implement these considerations while adjusting to meet the unique needs and circumstances of the local community. Implementation should be guided by what is feasible, practical, acceptable, and tailored to the needs of each community.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-21-2020, 04:53 PM

I've seen this going around a lot the past two days. It's creating so much anger and fear because of the way it's stated. I really wish people would actually go to the CDC site and actually read what they say.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-21-2020, 05:09 PM

Basically the CDC is saying if a district considers children and teachers expendable,the district can do so. This in order to please some people.

Last edited by anna; 05-22-2020 at 04:23 PM..
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-21-2020, 11:22 PM

I've heard on the news that all of the "if feasible" and "if possible" phrases were added only after the white house refused the original guidelines. So those phrases are not really the original recommendation of the CDC.

I hate remote learning and think it's horrible for students, but I don't like the option of running schools like a prison either. I wonder about kids with severe behaviors- I'm sure my school isn't the only one with several kids per classroom with significant issues. If they don't follow regular rules how are they going to follow all of these new and much stricter rules, and be okay with not doing things that were perfectly normal last time they were in school? Especially if parents aren't enforcing any kind of social distancing at home and letting them run around the neighborhood freely with friends. Is there going to be a "zero tolerance" policy? I see that creating lawsuits. What happens when a kid purposefully coughs on someone?

I'm kind of hoping we can learn from the day cares that are open to see how much of this is truly necessary. I also wonder if the plan is to open in August, why not have an in person summer school in July where some of the kinks can be worked out? Of course it would be voluntary for both teachers and students, so those who are afraid don't have to participate. And it would allow schools to try out some of these practices in a smaller scale environment/experiment with different restrictions and see how feasible they are and what the best way to roll them out larger scale is. The stakes also wouldn't feel as high as during the regular year when teachers are going to be worried about academic data and such- if summer school wasn't going to happen and now it is, any extra learning the kids can get at all is gravy.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Never mind
Old 05-22-2020, 03:55 PM

I think I see how these things get started now.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-22-2020, 06:27 PM

I cannot imagine doing this with Pre-K children! Our learning is actually based on play and hands on activities.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote