Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Quarantine Weight

>

Janylynne

Quarantine Weight
Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 PM

Well, Iíve done it to myself. Iíve gained weight during quarantine and Iím the heaviest Iíve ever been. Itís not terrible. I was overweight to being with, but Iím now getting uncomfortable with my weight and things donít fit anymore.

If I lost 10-15 lbs I would feel better and look better. Plus my DD is getting married in October, so thatís an incentive!

What are your best tips for getting started on weight loss? I do walk everyday, but I know I need to increase my steps.

It would help if I ate oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, instead of bagels or the fabulous breakfasts my DH likes to cook on weekends. Less wine. More water. Fewer carbs, more veggies...

Itís just harder to do now that Iím older.

Janylynne is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 05-23-2020, 08:39 PM

Can you walk with weights? That's something I would add to my walking.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 PM

I think the wine is a killer. Less. It sounds like you know what todo. Maybe ask dh to make healthier breakfast on the weekend. Fruit smoothie. My dd makes one every day.
knitting987! is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-23-2020, 10:54 PM

I use myfitnesspal to track calories. It's free and there are several of us here who use it. I don't cut out foods or try to do low carb or anything like that. I try to eat a balance of more nutritious foods and treats every day and the only thing I worry about is staying under my calorie goal and getting my steps in via my fitbit.

What works for me is plugging my foods in at least the night before and making sure everything fits so that the next day I know what I can have. That way I don't find myself in a situation where I eat lunch, then go back and plug in the foods and find that I've eaten a ton of calories unknowingly. I also use a food scale to weigh out food rather than using measuring cups, which is way more accurate.

If you set your goal on MFP to lose 2 pounds per week, more than likely they will give you a goal of 1200 calories per day. It took me a long time to figure out that just doesn't work for me. YMMV, of course. I can white knuckle it for awhile, but I can't stick to it long term. I've had much more success changing my goal to lose 1 pound per week, which gives me about 1550 calories to eat daily. I find this much more manageable and when you think a bit longer term (i.e. what you can lose in 6 months or a year), it's still relatively quick weight loss. I started with this plan January 1 and am super happy with my results.

As for getting more steps, I march in place in front of my TV. It may seem silly, but I figure it's way better than sitting on the couch, especially now with being home all day every day. I'm so used to it that now I have a hard time just sitting down and watching a show even if I wanted to. I end up feeling antsy and then get up and walk.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-23-2020, 11:48 PM

I'm in the process of trying to lose the weight I've gained as well. A little too excited about all the Oreos and Nutty Buddies I could eat in the first month

I walk for at least 3 miles a day (and up to 7). I have also added some weight training (I have some dumbbells and Jari Love DVDs from years ago ) 3 times a week. I am hoping this helps me. I have lost a few lb, so I've got to be going in the right directions.

I am also trying really hard to wait to eat- intermittent fasting. There have been a few conversations about this on PT before. It's my preferred way to eat, but not everyone does well (and it's harder for some women in particular). I find that if I hold off on eating for the first part of the day, I am much less likely to overeat. Even when I do start eating, I don't eat as much.

I also discovered (belatedly) that my Fitbit (I have a Flex 2) app has a calorie tracker that seems to know a lot of the foods I eat. It's so smart! So I told it how much I wanted to lose and how fast, and it's telling me how many calories I should be eating and I track those foods. I just started doing that a few days ago because I really need to rein in the eating. I'm getting plenty of exercise, but I am also eating way too much.

That's a lot of information that may or may not be helpful. To answer your question about getting started, I would say you pick ONE habit or issues you want to tackle and tackle it. Maybe it's increasing your water intake and limited your wine. Maybe it's changing what you eat a certain meal of every day. Tackle one habit and then start to tackle others. If you try to change everything at once, I think you're more likely to fail and slip back into old habits.

Good luck! I have a feeling there are many of us in this boat! You've seen this one that someone posted on PT before, probably. I find it's very true. But you need to combine the third and fourth pictures for me

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

YouTube workouts
Old 05-24-2020, 02:11 AM

My gym is closed, but before they offered some virtual workouts, I found a channel called Pahla B. Fitness. She does free workouts geared to women ďof a certain ageĒ. They are all lengths and at different levels. Sone use weights. She also focuses on balance. I work up a great sweat with her, and I love her personality. There also is a Facebook community with some very nice people.

I also found another channel with a young woman named Lucy Windham- Reed. Her channel is LWR Fitness. She has some great short workouts as well as walking and toning ones. I add one of hers to Pahlaís and I try to also get a 2-3 mile walk in every day. Of course, good nutrition is key, nut I find the exercise helps.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

weight loss
Old 05-24-2020, 05:27 AM

Tracking makes a big difference. I track on both My Fitness Pal and on the Weight Watchers app. MFP lets me track sodium and carbs for health reasons.

I have tried the Halo ice cream and found it to be a bit grainy. Not my favorite at all and expensive. My favorite ice cream was Skinny Cow low-fat ice cream sandwiches for 6 points. The problem was it was too good and I easily could cheat when I was in a "weak moment". I no longer keep foods that are too tempting for me and so I buy a single serving of something to satisfy my ice cream cravings. Ice cream is my big weakness.

Find something that motivates you to exercise. I have an Apple Watch and my personal goal is to fill all three rings: moving, exercise, and standing. It somehow motivates me to keep moving during the day.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 05-24-2020, 05:41 AM

A year ago I started using My FitnessPal and like Haley23 I allow 1500 calories. I lost 16 pounds. I know that isnít much in a year, BUT I didnít upend my life with unrealistic goals. I tried to exercise 150 min a week and recorded my food. Losing weight is hard and takes time. Good luck!
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

I have had the best success
Old 05-24-2020, 05:58 AM

With weight watchers. I'm pushing 50, the weight was NOT coming off. I don't do well with super restrictive eating plans, and the points system works well for me (when I follow it). There's nothing you can't have if you plan and balance it. I'm up 5 of the 15 I lost because I've treated quarantine like a giant snow day. I'm getting back to tracking and being accountable today.

I would also suggest some sort of weight or resistance training. I've walked for years but adding the other really helped me as well.

Good luck! You won't be sorry if you make the effort when you look back at your daughter's wedding pictures. That's what got me motivated too! I can't believe what a difference 10-15 lbs makes in how I feel!
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-24-2020, 06:03 AM

I am 51 years old and lost 60 pounds within the last year so it is possible to do if you are older. I took a more severe approach and have gradually loosened a little bit now that I am down to a good weight.

I very rarely eat bread and other bad carbs, I stay away from sugar except for a small desert once a week or so, and eat a lot of chicken and vegetables, and nuts. Plus I drink only water and a lot of it. I workout for about 300 minutes a week, sometimes more.

Because I have a sweet tooth and would probably kill someone if I did not have at least one sweet thing every day, I have sugar free chocolate and cookies that I eat as well.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I have actually been exercising more in
Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 AM

quarantine, because two or three of my Zumba teachers have classes online, two Yoga instructors also. Plus I tried BeachBody.

NJ Teacher - I also looked into the Pahla B workouts. I have been using her short (20-minutes or so) workouts as warmups for Zumba, so hopefully killing two birds with one stone.

A friend and I are walking maybe 2-4 miles a couple of times a week. I still miss my dancing Saturday nights.

My scale sucks, but based on my clothes, I don't think I have either gained or lost weight, just hanging in. Not easy when my sweetie's latest fad is making banana bread loaded with dried fruits and nuts and pineapple angel food cake with whipped cream frosting!
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-24-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer
I have a sweet tooth....
Me, too, and a carb tooth. I should be eating better because Iím not socializing, but I want to snack all the time now that Iím home so much. Terrible.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Quarantine weight
Old 05-24-2020, 08:05 AM

I joined Noom because nothing else has worked and they had a deep, deep discount offer. Interestingly, I hadnít gained any weight in the beginning. So far, Iíve lost 9 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks.

More importantly, I have changed some poor eating habits without feeling deprived at all. The psychology side of the program really works for me.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

boxermama

Weight Watcher here...
Old 05-24-2020, 11:22 AM

Weight Watchers is the only program I have had long term success. I made life time a long time ago, but let my bad habits slip back into place.

I recently rejoined and I feel so much better and back in control. Any thing that helps you track will work though.

Good Luck!
boxermama is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-24-2020, 05:56 PM

I would continue to enjoy what you like to eat, but limit your portions and vow to not return for more (easier said than done I know). I like the idea of the extra water rather than as much wine since alcohol is very high in calories. I also agree with adding some weights when you walk. That would significantly increase your metabolism. Are there any other forms of exercise you would enjoy - bicycling? swimming? water aerobics? Those activities tend to burn a lot of calories. You might also consider adding an extra daily walk. The calorie burn over a week will really add up.

Good luck! I know the struggle is REAL!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 05-25-2020, 06:25 AM

I will look up the Pahla B videos. Do more weight training.

I think I need to start writing down what I eat.

No more wineó I actually dumped out the last of the bottle. I know itís all empty calories.

Goodbye bagels! No more hash browns! Hello water and iced tea! Eating more simply is the key, I think.

Gromit

Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM

I was at the "even my comfy clothes are starting to feel a little restrictive" stage before quarantine, so I took up Couch to 5K since I was saving commute time. The time normally spent driving back and forth between school is now spent walking and jogging.

I also almost completely cut out soda and don't eat fast food anymore.

Between these changes, I've lost 13 pounds since March.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 AM

I like boxermama, made lifetime membership on WW years ago. I rejoined and recently lost 13 lbs. I am starting to gain so I need to get tracking. My birthday threw me off. I need to get exercising more.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Gromit
Old 05-25-2020, 11:38 AM

Thatís amazing that youíve lost so much weight during the time.! It gives me encouragement.