Fire truck by Ivan Ulz. Why so much $$$? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Fire truck by Ivan Ulz. Why so much $$$?

>

SuzyQ

Fire truck by Ivan Ulz. Why so much $$$?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of my assistants told me about the song "Fire Truck" by Ivan Ulz and that there is a book to accompany the song. I had heard of the song but didn't know there was a book. So I googled it and Amazon is selling it for $132! There are sellers on Half Ebay selling it for nearly $300! The cheapest one used is $46 and does not include a CD. Is this book made of gold or something? Ha. Why so expensive?
I looked it up on Scholastic's website, bc they are the ones that made the book. It's currently out of print. So I'm assuming that must be why it is priced so high on other sites. But still... That seems pretty outrageous to me, for a children's book. Just sayin!

SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Out of print is the answer to your question. I once wanted Mrs. Wishy Washy and found the same thing.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyQ

agree...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah that's what I figured. But it still seems a little much to me. Everyone better go buy "Pete the Cat I love My White Shoes" now because if that book ever went out of print, it would be the same way. Such a cute book/song. Check it out on Youtube if you haven't heard of it!

learntogether

Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you have access to a computer in your classroom, there is a recording of the song to the pictures in the book on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emv-Yn6g1r4
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Ivan Ulz

Ivan Ulz

Fire Truck
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wrote "Fire Truck!" as a song and it was the featured track on my CD, "Songs From the Old School" which is available on Ebay for $10.00. Scholastic made it into a book for several years and finally suspended publication. The publishing rights are now mine and I have someone shopping the book to various publishers. It is possible that I will publish an edition before too long and the cost will be along the lines of a children's book. Until then, we are all at the mercy of independent dealers.

SuzyQ

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mr. Ulz,
Thank you for the information! I hope to order a copy from you when it becomes available.

Suzy Q

Learntogether,

I have seen it on youtube and have thought about sharing it with my kids at school that way. My only concern is that they will start begging me to watch videos everyday. We just recently got a computer in our classroom for teacher's use. I could make it a special once a week thing or something I suppose. (My students are 2&3 year olds) Usually during snack time we hear songs and I hold up the accompanying book. Fire Truck would be a great addition.

coppsma

Great news, Mr Ulz
Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

And make sure that the book is well advertised when it is published again! I am one of the biggest fans of that book/Cd.

I had that book at a previous job. I had purchased it from Scholastic with my room budget when I worked at a day care. My toddlers loved it and when I moved into older classrooms I still borrowed it for those classes. I still have it memorized and can sing it in my froggy voice, but I don't have the visuals. SuzyQ, a couple of years ago I was able to get a copy through the library. Unfortunately, the two copies that my local city library owned are lost. However, my library subscribes to a service from which I can order a copy of a book from another library within the northern part of my state. If you do not need it for any particular week, you may be able to get a copy through your library service.
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyQ

:)
Old 05-26-2012, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

ooh good tip coppsma, thanks!
LaurelS

LaurelS

Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you Mr. Ulz!! I have been checking your book out of the library for years and would love a copy of my own. The kids continually ask to hear your story with the song. Fantastic work! Please re-issue!!!!
Kyle's Mom

Kyle's Mom

Fire Trucks!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I hope that the book will go back into print soon! My 2 year old is in love with the song and book. We watch it on You Tube constantly. I wanted to order the book for him and like others was SHOCKED by the price tag. He is always singing the song

ESM

ESM

Would like the book too
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Found the song and story recently on youtube and fell in love with it. Was hoping to purchase the book and CD to read/play at my 4-year old twin boys birthday party - firetruck theme - and too was shocked to see how much it was selling for. Mr. Ulz, I hope you are successful in getting back onto the mass market, as there are masses who are wanting it!
Joan Kirgis

Joan Kirgis

Fire Clangs a must
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi I love your book "Fire Truck" We are in a small town with a volunteer fire department that is a huge part of our little Village . I play the song and the children chant along as a tribute to our fire fighters who bring their trucks and talk to my class every year. Please when you make the new book make sure you add the big bell clangs to turn the page. We love that. So to make a long story short I had to change jobs and left my book at the old school because it was the schools. Now that I have a new position I miss the story SOOOO much. I saw the price on line also. I will buy the CD but it won't be the same. I do not have a computer in my classroom to play the book on youtube. So please hurry. Thanks. If you have a copy of the book and cassett or CD and could sell it to me for a resonable price I would be trilled. Thanks for your music and talent. Joan Kirgis
ColleenF

ColleenF

Absolutely LOVE your song and book
Old 07-12-2013, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hi Ivan,

First of all, what an incredible song! My two year old daughter came home from preschool everyday last year singing "Firetruck" and I was unfamiliar with your book/song until I googled it and found it online. We began playing it on YouTube everyday and our whole family was hooked! I went onto Amazon to buy it for her as a Christmas present and it was around $100 (Dec 2012). I was a little surprised but just thought maybe it was expensive because so many people were wanting it as a Christmas gift.

We're going to a little boy's Firetruck themed birthday party next weekend and your book instantly came to mind as the perfect gift. I looked it up again and noticed that was even more expensive than it was back in December. That prompted me to question why it was so expensive and led me to your answer on this website.

Any progress on publishing deals? I hope so!!!!! I would certainly love to purchase copies of your song/book when I'm able to reasonably afford it.

Thanks so much!
Colleen
yaybooks

yaybooks

Eagerly awaiting!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Mr. Ulz,
Thank you for your reply on this thread. I am excited to read that you are trying to get the book back in publication. I am also a preschool teacher who has experienced the magic and wonder of this book and song However, now I have my own baby and can't wait to own my own copy for him and also purchase one for my 1 year old niece whose daddy is a firefighter. Thanks again Mr. Ulz for your wonderful contribution to the children's literature and musical world!
Theresa

Theresa

Firetruck!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Are there still hopes of this book ever being published again? I work in a Family Resource Center and we read it every year to all our families, and every year, it is such a big hit! I know I would buy several copies for all the kiddos in my family and my coworkers would too! Every year, so many families approach us asking where they can get the book. Would love to find this one day!