Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

3 year olds

>

Preschool545

Preschool545

3 year olds
Old 07-03-2018, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm moving to a 3 year old program from a 4 year old program next year. What different materials will i need?

What do you recommend for curriculum?

RealisticPreK

Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope you are a micro-manager, because if you are dealing with very young 3 year olds, that is an essential skill. It's important to perfect your 'neutral' voice, too.

I'm firm, but not a micro-manager, and it's not so necessary with 4 year olds. But young 3's are a whole different animal. They are just starting out, so to speak, and need lots and lots of guidance.

I like this website: https://teaching2and3yearolds.com/category/preschool/

Magnatiles are a hit in the 3's room. Of course, they are popular in all early childhood classrooms! Cars of all sizes, and dump trucks are extremely popular. So are those large toy animals.

you might also like this site: https://handsonaswegrow.com/activities-by-age/

Good luck! I didn't do well in the young 3's room, but I'm fine in the older 3's/young 4's room. Go figure. Who would think 6 months could matter all that much!
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I worked with 3 year olds for two years and needed to leave. RealisticPreK, hit the nail on the head. They have to be micromanaged. If you get a child with learning or emotional issues, your class will go to pot. You need two people. Once one person gets bogged down with one child, the other person has 14. You need a really strong personality to work with three year olds. Also, unlike fours, potty issues are the norm. With four year olds, you can use peer pressure to get a child out of diapers.

As far as curriculum, I would stay away from anything child lead like High Scope. Materials, lots of large piece puzzles and board books.

Smurfyteach

Ummmm
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Curriculum??? Be careful with what you think you 'need'.

Try SUNSHINE AND NATURE, and giving lots of time to climb trees. They must be SHOE FREE all day and get dirty- hands, feet, clothes. They must use all their senses. Then provide quiet time, lots of literacy through puppets, storytelling, reading, role play and tons of free exploration and play!!

It's not hard. Kids want TIME. They are 3.
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
jlambjune

jlambjune

not much
Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

3 year olds need a lot of hands on activities and things that will keep their attention. They do really well when they have a set schedule and know just about what they will be doing everyday. It is important to not baby them but make sure you treat them with respect and care as if you were teaching 4 year olds. I hope this helps.