Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Preschool schedules

>

4TheKids2018

Preschool schedules
Old 08-19-2018, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How important is it for a preschooler, specifically between the ages of 3 and 5, to have a regular Monday through Friday class schedule? For example, at our school, this age group has a fairly set schedule on Monday and Tuesday and then again on Thursday and Friday. However, on Wednesdays, the students are bounced around in unstructured rotations; sometimes even the teachers donít know what they will be overseeing that day. On Wednesdays, my class doesnít even get to spend time with me until 11:30 AM., and then itís only about 45 minutes I have with them before nap approaches. I struggled with this last year because Thursdays were always very difficult in terms of getting my students back on track from a behavior standpoint. And, Iím already seeing those behavior problems with the start of this new year.

I recently completed some early childhood courses where my instructors advised me that it was better to have a consistent five-day-a-week schedule versus the one I noted above where Wednesdays are very unstructured. I also talked with a child psychologist who said this was not healthy for preschoolers.

Now, Iím reaching out to my peers to get their feedback on a Monday through Friday schedule for preschoolers between the ages of 3 and 5. Should they have a consistent and regular schedule?

4TheKids2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv4K

Luv4K

Schedules
Old 08-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are able to create a consistent Monday through Friday schedule, do it! This age group thrives on that structure. It is stressful to them to not know what to expect each day. I also suggest creating a pictorial schedule for the children to see as the day progresses.

Also, I have found it to be so important that children consistently have the same teacher(s) each day. It is hard for children to adjust to being juggled around between teachers. One instance in particular comes to mind in which a child started to have significant behavioral issues after his primary teacher took a different job at another center.