Hardest part of job being a Pre-K teacher? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Hardest part of job being a Pre-K teacher?

>

Stacylyn

Stacylyn

Hardest part of job being a Pre-K teacher?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I'm working on an initiative in NYC to better support Pre-K teachers. I have a lot of experience in education, but not on the Pre-K level. I figure before I go developing anything or making suggestions, I ought to get some insight from actual Pre-K teachers. What is the hardest part of your job? What are the best parts of your job? If you could make any part of your job easier, what would it be? Why? Thanks so much for any insight you can provide!

Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 10-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The hardest part is children who have undiagnosed special needs, especially if the parents aren't on board with getting a diagnosis. Due to age, you'll get a lot of push back even among professionals. With no resources, one student can take up all of your time with you or your aide left to deal with 14 other students.

Second is children who aren't potty trained. Again, the parents have to be on board. A child can't go from diapers/pull ups at home to only using the toilet at school.

The best part is how much learning and growth happens in prek.

If I could make something easier, I would make parents more accountable. Most of the issues stem from home at the prek level.
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 10-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think a large part of this question is going to be based off the state you are in and the type of preschool program you serve. In my state, public preschool teachers are also required to be certified in special education and we only offer inclusive classrooms. That means that I can have all 20 students with IEPs. The hardest part of my job is wearing so many hats and being a gen ed teacher, sped teacher, and providing intervention to students when needed. The data collection is heavy and the behaviors can be overwhelming. If I could make a part of my job easier, I would ensure that students have 1:1 assistants when needed, have access to MSD curriculums for the students that require it, and do away with RTI for preschool (because preschool is an intervention in itself). However, NYC might have their preschool program structured in a different way.