Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Delaware beaches?

>

irises

Delaware beaches?
Old 10-13-2019, 05:42 AM

I'm thinking of renting a house for my adult children and grandbabies for this July. We will be 6 adults and have a 1 and 3 year old so I want to be as near as possible to a beach. Does anyone have suggestions for which beaches are best? I've read a variety of reviews and looked into AirBnB. I want to be near activity, so Rehoboth and Bethany seem to have boardwalk activities, restaurants etc. Further south seems less expensive, but what's the trade off? And is parking a problem if we have to drive to the beach? Thanks for any and all advice!!

irises is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-13-2019, 05:57 AM

Not sure where you're coming from, but another option could be Ocean City, MD. Spent a few years there as a teen
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-13-2019, 06:04 AM

Used to live in Delaware. Love both Rehoboth and Bethany. Another option is Lewes. Gosh now Iím missing Delaware!!!
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 10-13-2019, 06:11 AM

I live an hour from Rehoboth Beach and we spend a week there every June. I haven't been to the Bethany boardwalk for a while but I think it's pretty small. It's a very family friendly place that people with little ones really seem to enjoy. It would be less crowded than Rehoboth.

Rehoboth is also family friendly with more to do on the boardwalk. There's Funland which is great for little ones. If you want activity, Rehoboth is probably what you're looking for. There's music on the bandstand Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Lots of shops and restaurants on the boardwalk and Rehoboth Ave.

Parking can be pricey and not always easy to find in Rehoboth. I would try to stay within walking distance of everything if at all possible. We've gone through jack lingo rental agency.

Lewes is a lovely town that is fun to visit and only about 20 minutes away. From Lewes you can take the ferry to Cape May, New Jersey where they shuttle you to a delightful little zoo.

I know you didn't ask but here are some of my favorite restaurants:
British-Go Fish
Mexican-Dos Locos
Sushi-Stingray
Seafood-Fins
I think I should have been a travel agent!
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Thank you all
Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 AM

and ASAM for the realtor. I'm coming from NW New Jersey. I took the ferry and visited Lewes a few years back but have not been to the beaches. Also, many houses are on the bay. Ive heard conflicting things about the safety of bay water. Is that true? Should I be avoiding the bay for swimming?

irises is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-13-2019, 07:38 AM

My mom & stepdad lived in Lewes. We loved going to Cape Henlopen State Park for the beach and then did the boardwalk In Rehobeth or Bethany at night
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

Beach
Old 10-13-2019, 10:12 AM

I am more familiar with Ocean City beaches but I find Delaware more family friendly. They are suppose to do some dredging to widen the beaches in Delaware. We stayed in Bethany many years ago and loved it but the beach was very narrow at high tide. Dewey beach is a big time party town . Fenwick Island is nice too. You'll have fun no matter what you do.
Irish is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Delaware Beach Towns
Old 10-13-2019, 11:05 AM

Rehoboth is a nice town but traffic has increased in recent years. Parking at the beach is expensive and limited.

Bethany is a quieter area with lovely beaches.

Last edited by travelingfar; 10-14-2019 at 05:21 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-13-2019, 11:16 AM

My sister-in-law, her sister & parents always go to Bethany Beach for their summer vacations. They have been going since their children were little [20+years]. The pictures look great and they always talk about how much fun they had..kids are from 16-26 [7 of them].
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-13-2019, 07:31 PM

Iím partial to Rehoboth. Weíve been going for 30+ years. I got married there on the beach!

We have rented houses on Oak Ave, and Park Ave. There is a nice beach at Park Avenue and it is a very easy walk to the boardwalk. There is beach parking at the end of Henlopen Ave for Deauville Beach and Park Ave beach. Rehoboth has a lot of nice shops and restaurants. Funland is awesome for kids and very reasonably priced. We love Rehoboth because you can park the car for a week and walk or bike everywhere.

My in-laws had a house at Bethany Beach. It is also a very nice place to go. It is more low key. The boardwalk is small with no rides for the kids.

FWIW, as well as being family friendly, Rehoboth is very gay friendly. My parents always enjoyed the nightlife and my very elderly mother enjoys the bars with karaoke. My brother-in-law and his family are very conservative and prefer Bethany for their family.

We are headed there tomorrow for 3 weeks. We camp at Cape Henlopen State Park and can ride our bikes to both Lewis and Rehoboth. We also will camp at Delaware Seashore State Park which is between Dewey and Bethany.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Posted earlier but
Old 10-18-2019, 03:30 AM

My DH and I drove through Bethany beach last evening. It is lovely. Thereís a great little town square with restaurants, shopping and a nice park. It gave me good vibes. I would recommend looking into renting there.
Irish is online now   Reply With Quote