Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Home filing system/organization

>

I ♥ cats

Home filing system/organization
Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are you good at staying organized with papers and filing on a daily or monthly basis at home? I am not. I tend to let papers pile up and then go through them when they are out of control. I just went through everything in our home office today and either shredded or filed because DH was looking for an important receipt. I had a file set up for it, but the receipt was in a pile of papers instead. We have a filing cabinet and files, but I still tend to just lay papers in a pile on top of the filing cabinet and not put them in their proper place. I've never lost anything important, luckily. Just wondering how other people handle filing. I think I do so much paperwork for school I don't want to do it at home too! Or maybe I'm just lazy!

Last edited by I ♥ cats; 01-21-2011 at 12:03 PM..

kiwilemon

Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At work I am a very organized person. I file everything and know where it can be found.

At home, I do what you do. I put everything on my desk and when tax time comes I go through it all so I have all the important papers I need to take with me. Then I start a new pile for next year.

2teach2

I think I lean
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

toward your system - put everything in a pile and go through it when it starts getting too big! Seriously, though, we try to stay fairly organized. When mail comes in, I sort through it and immediately put bills in the bill basket, shred junk mail immediately, file coupons in the coupon file, and put things that need action or that I want to talk with DH about (like cable offers, etc.) in another basket. We have envelopes for work receipts, charitable donations, and other tax related items pinned to our office bulletin board. Other files, such as bank statements, pay stubs, etc. go in the filing cabinet, hopefully right away! When I get busy, I just toss everything on the desk and go through it on the weekend. The kids' school papers sometimes go in a pile and I go through it a couple of times a year and decide what to put in their memory boxes and what to toss. I hate throwing away their hard work, but you can't keep everything!

Ima Teacher

Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a set of plastic drawers, a plastic basket, and a file cabinet. When papers come in, they get put into the appropriate drawer, file, or trash can. One drawer is for bills and one drawer for other "keep" items. After the bills are paid, they go into the basket. I file them every few months. I clean out the file cabinet every few years. I try to handle things as few time as possible.

letsgomets

Organizational style
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

you need to match the way you organize to your habits.

Sounds like you are a piler. If you don't file, then find something like a basket that you can simply put all of the receipts into. A file cabinet does no good if it goes unused. You can file things after you've put them into the checkbook, paid the bills online or whatever.

I'm a piler too. I have had much greater success when I try to sort into baskets and in-boxes.

It takes at least 21 days to form a habit.

I hope you can find some strategies that will help.

Nonie

a 3 ring notebook
Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used to pile. Now I take things and 3 hole punch them and sort them by tabs in a 3 ring notebook

cms0620

Pockets
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have one of the over the door shoe pocket organizers hanging in a closet. Each bill has it's own space, medical papers, insurances, and tax info. Than at the end of the year I shred what I don't need and file the rest in a box to keep with my tax info.

mintpint

organizer
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have tried many ways of organizing, but always end up with the old way. I like the shoe pocket idea! Hopefully this one will "take." Thanks!

charger

Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think I am a piler. I try a different system all the time. I wish a could find something that works for me.